Pre-op appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronsgirl

senior
Country
United States United States
Well, I had my pre-op appointment today with my GP and ran into a little problem. My blood pressure was really high, 181/112. Yikes! I have to get it down before I can have surgery. My doctor increase one of my meds and I will have a recheck on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be down. I don't want to postpone surgery. I haven't heard from the rest of the tests yet. She also gave me a prescription for tramadol to take with the tylenol I already take to help with the pain so I can maybe sleep at night. I have been waking up in pain and can't get back to sleep. Maybe if I can sleep more than 4 or 5 hours that will help my blood pressure go down. Tomorrow is my joint class.

Prayers for you.:prayer:

Sleep is so important to us, hard for our bodies to function on just 4 hours.

Pain definitely can impact your blood pressure. It sounds like your GP is on top of this and hopefully things will stabilize soon.

Lack of sleep can make a difference too, so try and rest as much as you can. Also make sure you're staying hydrated all through the day and if you wake up at night. Stay off salty foods too for the remainder of time until your surgery.

Thanks for your prayers, @Bikesouth They are much appreciated.

@Jamie thanks for the reminder to stay hydrated. I am cutting back on salty foods, but hadn't thought about drinking more water. Fortunately all the rest of my tests came back normal, and if I just get my blood pressure down I will be cleared for surgery.

Good luck

LTKR 11 May 2016

@Ronsgirl

Here's to hoping your BP comes down. Mine was high at my appointment yesterday too. But, I was running late because there was an accident blocking the only way to get to the clinic....and when I get there they put me in the room furthest away from the waiting room. Normally not a big deal, but I have a cane and I'm about to have a bad knee replaced, so I don't get the logic in that. Anyway, they took it at the end of the appointment and it was 122/83, which is closer to normal for me! I hope the medication helps and staying hydrated definitely helps!

Keep us posted!

Jen

ACDCJean has a point---many of us have "white coat syndrome" which increases our anxiety and raises our blood pressure when we go to the doctor's office. And maybe you rushed to get there? And maybe you had a cup of coffee right before you got there? all of the above increase your blood pressure when taken at a doctor's office.

I had a lot of success helping people to practice self-hypnosis or relaxation. In the past I've lowered my own BP from 140/110 down to 125/85 in the space of about 20 minutes! I suggest you find some suitable tapes and teach yourself this wonderful technique

Breathing techniques have helped lower my blood pressure, although it didn't seem to help the day I was sent to the cardiologist for abnormal ekg just a couple of days before surgery! I was too mad to let it work! Lol.

Take a look on YouTube there are lots and it's free

LTKR 11 May 2016

My blood pressure was still high yesterday, so another dosage change and today I am having an echocardiogram. So I don't know about surgery yet. I go for a recheck tomorrow. My doctor and I are both doing all we can and I am still hoping that surgery can go as planned. I am taking all your suggestions to heart as well as cutting out all caffeine. We will see...

Hi! I have white coat hypertension. I bought an automatic blood pressure cuff and took my BP at home, four times a day, at the same time, after sitting for 5 minutes and not eating or drinking for 30 minutes before the check. I recorded it and took the record to my doc. The first day I had some elevation, but after that all my readings were normal. Yours may still be elevated, but a week's readings at home will give a much more accurate picture than random screenings at the clinic. Good luck to you -- I know the thought of delaying surgery is hypertension-inducing itself!

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016

My blood pressure is down and my surgery has been approved!! I am so relieved! Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement. I will try to write more later. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Whew! That is good news!!!

Jen

I'm so happy for you!

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016

Good morning. Just two more days to go! I found out at my joint class that my surgeon uses quad sparing technique. I also learned that my hospital does genetic testing to determine the best method of pain control for you. Has anyone else had this done?

On another note, my husband and I just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on Thursday. Our oldest daughter flew in from Oklahoma to surprise us. She and our youngest daughter had a party for us last evening and we had a great time. A friend of ours reserved a suite for us at a really nice hotel with a balcony overlooking the river for our anniversary and bought our breakfast the next morning. Another friend cooked us a delicious gourmet dinner which we had on the balcony. Even though I have been hurting a lot, it was a very nice weekend and I am feeling incredibly blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties