TKR Pre-Hab and other questions

smokey1

Country
United States United States
Hi, May Marvels
I am trying to connect with people who are having total knee replacement in May. I would like to know what you are doing for pre-hab and what are your concerns about your upcoming surgery. For instance, who is thinking about anesthesia, nerve block or general anesthesia? Are any of you suffering with other conditions such as arthritis in other parts of your body and nerve pain? Any of you have arthritis in your other knee, as well and not too far along for another replacement?

Here's a list of members who are in the May group:
04 may 2021 LateRainNYC
10 May 2021 Steph1234 (Nerve Exploration)
11 May 2021 Meldoy,
17 May 2021 smokey1, abc123gal, GiantFinnegan
19 May 2021 Sandy11
20 May 2021 Johnny W

The May Marvels thread is not for conversations. But if you tag some of these members that will bring them to this thread to chat. I'll start with a couple of members who are having surgery the same day as you are @abc123gal @GiantFinnegan .

Thank you . How do I tag these members?

Here's a tutorial about tagging. Please don't tag more than 2 members per post. Unfortunately if you tag more members than 2, users accessing the forum on a mobile won't be able to read the post.

Hello @smokey1- and :welome:

Here's an article about anaesthetics that might help you:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

And here is some more reading to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I am trying to connect with people who are having total knee replacement in May. I would like to know what you are doing for pre-hab and what are your concerns about your upcoming surgery. For instance, who is thinking about anesthesia, nerve block or general anesthesia? Are any of you suffering with other conditions such as arthritis in other parts of your body and nerve pain? Any of you have arthritis in your other knee, as well and not too far along for another replacement?
@smokey1
I have mine on my left knee 2 days after you [5/19] and planning to have RTKR in late Aug or early Sept. Hopefully, recovery experience on my LTKR doesn't discourage me. My left knee arthritis level is 4 [Severe] and right is 3 [moderate].
I am doing exercises advised by my hospital's orthopedic surgical department at Virginia Mason in Seattle. They recommend it to start a month before the surgery.

I am doing exercises advised by my hospital's orthopedic surgical department at Virginia Mason in Seattle. They recommend it to start a month before the surgery.
Pre-op exercises are fine, as long as they don't increase your knee pain.

If they do increase knee pain, concentrate on upper body exercises instead. You will be glad of strong arms and shoulders in the first months after your knee surgery.

If they do increase knee pain, concentrate on upper body exercises instead. You will be glad of strong arms and shoulders in the first months after your knee surgery.
You are right. The exercises do include arm strengthening moves. The list is,
1. Seated press up
2. Ankle pumps
3. Bridging
4. Quad sets [thigh tightening]
5. Gluteal sets
6. Heel slide
7. Straight leg raise
8. Seated knee extension
9. Straight leg side slide
10.Standing hip abduction

Sandy11,
Thanks for your feedback .It’s really helpful. My left knee is not bone on bone yet, but moderate arthritis as you mentioned. My right knee is severe and that is why I am having the surgery. I had my hip replaced 2.5 years ago. Please, feel free to talk privately if you would like. It’s nice to talk to somebody who is going through the same thing.

I'm having my right knee replaced on May 11th - I never thought about pre-op exercises, but I do walk when I can (on level ground it's doable). I look forward to getting this done, but I do dread the post op pain and rehab. I had a partial left knee done several years ago, and I remember it well. At least we'll be recovering in decent weather!

I do dread the post op pain and rehab.
So do I. :scare:
I keep thinking about how difficult it will be as have no past experience.

At least we'll be recovering in decent weather!
That's the reason I chose May. So I don't have to deal with bundling myself :)
Wish you all the best for 11th May.

The good thing is that the recovery pain improves over time, unlike when our knees are going down hill.

Right! My surgery shifted to June 2 - at least now I'll be in a hospital, the May date was outpatient which had me a bit nervous. So the delay is worth it, but my knee is definitely going downhill!

I'm having LTKR on 5/17. My surgeon is not super communicative, so I don't know what the anesthesia plan is... I like the PA I've been seeing there for a couple of years, and the surgeon is highly recommended and has done many TKRs, but the communication/front office staff is kind of terrible. I'm lucky that I have done lots of reading on Bonesmart and other sources and feel like I have a good idea of how things will go despite their lack of communication. I am planning on calling next week to discuss the anesthesia plan, because I've had complications with general anesthesia before. Nothing super serious (nausea and difficulty maintaining oxygen levels upon waking up), but if there's something that can be done to avoid those issues, it would be great.

I have severe arthritis in both knees. I plan to have the right knee done this fall. So for pre-hab, I've just been focused on walking, practicing the exercises that will be done after surgery, and trying to keep my right knee feeling OK so I can rely on it more during recovery on the L knee. I've also been practicing with my walker and crutches (I wish I did more arm strengthening!). I've also lost 20lbs, which I really needed to do anyway, but hoping that will help with recovery.

I'm staying overnight at a short-stay facility, which I'm torn about. Part of me (right now) wants to just come home afterwards, but if I have anesthesia issues and pain maybe it will be better to have the nurses helping me.

I'm not looking forward to this, and somewhat anxious, but I do feel ready (despite my surgeon's lack of info).

I'm staying overnight at a short-stay facility, which I'm torn about. Part of me (right now) wants to just come home afterwards, but if I have anesthesia issues and pain maybe it will be better to have the nurses helping me.
I think it's a good idea to stay for the first night. In addition to dealing with any problems that might occur after the anesthetic, it also gives you a chance to get a pain control regime sorted out.

smokey1,
Wish you all the best for your surgery on Monday!

Thank you, Sandy11! I am very nervous!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks