• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Practicing Patience and Hope

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hello, Happy Thursday!
I'm wondering if your unanswered questions are the items you commented on above?
If so...here goes -

A swollen bruised knee at this point is common. My swelling and mild bruising in the area of my knee didn't even show up until I was 17 days post op. Yours is already dissipating so that's good!

Incision site can remain tender and numb in areas for quite some time. I'm talking months. The numbness slowly eases, sometimes leaving little areas here or there, until one day you suddenly realize it's no longer numb anywhere.

Fatigue or Energy Drain is normal. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
Following is the article from the Recovery Guidelines - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

As far as limping goes it's advised you use an assistive device until your no longer limping.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Wishing you all the best as you continue healing. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!
@mlas

OP
OP
mlas

mlas

Country
Another question. Crossing legs is no longer an option.
What about crossing at the ankles?
I find myself wanting to cross my op-leg (left) over my non-op (right) at the ankle while in the recliner.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Re: Crossing legs at ankles, I'd advise you ask your surgeon as the opinion and timeline on that varies. Personally, I wouldn't, and didn't, cross my ankles at only one month post op. I do now, but didn't back then.
Have a great week!
@mlas

Country
Welcome to a very supportive and knowledgeable group here. I post on here for all my questions, or just when I need some TLC support and. sanity check. I think the limp will resolve in time. I am in no rush to give up a walking aid. I need to stand as straight as possible since I had a spine fusion last summer. I am an orthopedic surgeon's dream girl, lol. I have a bad hobble, so I try and avoid walking without something. My surgeon wants me for the moment, on two crutches but I am a unique case.
Don't worry about the energy drain, there is a lot of information on the site to read on regarding that. That is great you can start driving soon!

gertie

post-grad
Country
@mlas Chiming in on the knee pain--yep, knees sometimes hurt during this recovery. Realignment, weak thigh muscles, weak hamstrings all contribute.

My incision also is still tender to touch at 11 weeks--not severe pain, just a little sensitive. All normal I think.

Energy drain lasted for me until week 6 or 7--I still get tired at night although that might be because of early morning kitty wake up calls--no matter when I go to bed I know that I'll have a furry alarm clock next to me at 6 a.m.

I think it can be hard to know why we limp. Pain? Weak muscles? Learned gait? Limping wasn't an issue for me but others on here might have some tips on how they got past the limping phase.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
hello! I had that same inclination to cross at my ankles. It's best not to if only for the fact that it restricts your blood flow and lymph drainage. The more you can avoid it the better your leg can work to heal. I added a stiff pillow under my lower legs to help circulation, too.
You sound like things are going pretty well for you, congrats on your shiny new hip!
P.S. I used my cane up until the 9th week, and then still used it on uneven ground or for longer walks. It helps you to stand correctly and perfect your gait. I would look in a mirror to see how I was doing and corrected things that looked not so great.
You are still early in your recovery.. not unusual at all to still be using at least one cane. :flwrysmile:
@mlas

marieltha

graduate
Country
:kitty:Hope you are feeling better.
Love your cat avatars, @mlas & @gertie
Many of us have a Nurse Cat overseeing our recovery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your recovery is moving along nicely.
We'd love to hear how you're doing if you have time for an update next time you're on the forum.
Until then...all the best!
@mlas

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jusight77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom