• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Practicing Patience and Hope

mlas

Country
United States United States
Day 12 post op L THR.
One night in hospital then home next evening. The first 6 days post op not bad.
Twice with PT the first week, now I’m on my own. ‘They’ said walk every hour. So long.
My first post op doctor appointment is on day 19.
I’ve learned stop when it hurts. (Or move when it hurts) Take meds as needed. Portion control and no junk food.
Not sure how much using ice is helping the swelling and bruising. But I keep using it.
I hope this forum is my outlet to move through this life trauma.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@mlas Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. Getting up and moving around on your own regularly is wise. Helps you stay mobile and ward off any blood clots.

How long are your icing sessions? Icing does help decrease swelling but you need to do it for 45-60 minutes several times per day.

We are here to help you through this journey. The articles below may answer questions you might have about this recovery.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
mlas

mlas

Country
At the hospital I was given 4 gel/ice pacs and 1 pouch that holds 2 of the gel/ice packs. These are alternately frozen so I have ice available all the time. These I use all the time except when standing/walking. I move the pac around my leg and foot as needed.

OP
OP
mlas

mlas

Country
On day 7 post op I noticed the back of my thigh from the incision to back of my knee is a complete purple bruise. After getting over the shock I then worry about my knee. I’m now at day 12 post op. The knee is very swollen and sore all the way around . I wear knee high TED hose.
I’m counting on knee issue being part of normal healing.
:sigh:

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@mlas my whole leg was swollen, both times. I'd say, call your OS office to advise. For the first hip, a couple of weeks on, my knee was what hurt worse! A fellow member advised me to ice the knee if it was what hurt. Bingo!
The bruise is normal in my experience. Mine crept at glacial speed from my hips to the tips of my toes, presenting a different technicolor view every day. Some members were using arnica cream for bruising, (thank you dear beloved friend Poppet) but it didn't do much for me. For the second hip, OS pre-op notes advised stocking up on pineapple juice for its papain. Pineapple-prune juice mix is kinda....better than it sounds!

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Re your ice regime-- well done! If you get a wide elastic-y bandage with velcro on each end, you can strap the ice to you all the time. I had anterior approach, so some of my soft linen pants had perfect pockets.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Pretty common, you were in basically a planned car wreck as far as the trauma goes. This will be an experience the likes of which you didn't anticipate with good results at the end, just takes a while to get to the end.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi,
Welcome to Recovery! Thanks for joining us and Congrats on your new hip.

Unlike the Hip Pre-op Forum, we ask that you only start one thread while in Recovery.
You can post all of your updates, questions and concerns on your original thread for those who stop by to read and comment. It will make it easier on you to have all your information contained within one thread.
Here is your original for now - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/practicing-patience-and-hope.55724/
Your other threads will be merged with the original.

The knee issue you mentioned is totally normal. Many complain about their knee early on more than their hip. It took over a week for some decent bruising to show up on mine also. It hurt front, back and on one side. The knee is often manipulated rather aggressively in an effort to dislocate the hip. Ice any areas of discomfort right along with your hip for 40-60 minutes, no less, several times daily. It will slowly ease.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!
@mlas

alexthecat

omega
Country
@mlas welcome to Bonesmart!
You'll notice that I have merged all your recovery threads. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Congratulations on coming to the other side. It is a discovery road with many twists and turns and many paths and finally the road to recovery and a pain-free activity laden existence.You are doing well.Ice and rest are your best friends now along with subtle movements.

Debru4

graduate
Country
I have been really curious about the bruising aspect--I did not have a single visible bruise anywhere on my thigh or leg. I kept waiting for it, and still can't fathom how they could have done all of that without leaving a bruise. Almost everyone else I've known did, so your experience sounds a lot more common than mine. I think that is another of those things that doctors don't always think to mention ahead of time---it's almost like they assume you know exactly what they are doing in there and that bruising will result. I was worried after my surgery about my awful knee pain---my surgeon had never mentioned it. I was certain something was wrong, until I asked him about it at my 2 week follow up, and he looked a bit surprised, and described to me (in pretty graphic detail) what all had transpired during my surgery. That sure explained a lot, and made me less anxious as other things popped up. It probably would have been helpful to know that knee pain was common ahead of time, but I don't think all of the graphic details about the sawing and jerking would have been good to be told about in advance. (For me at least.):no-fin: This forum is wonderful for asking all those questions and sharing your thoughts and feelings!:flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello :wave:and Happy Saturday to you!
Wonderful news to read you're feeling hopefully optimistic. You are healing, there will be a good end to this
and I'll bet life will be waaay better than it was with the pain and limitations you suffered pre-op.
Things are looking up. I hope you have a lovely weekend. Thanks for the positively sunny update! :SUNsmile:
@mlas

OP
OP
mlas

mlas

Country
3 weeks post-op L THR. Heres all that’s going on. Finally at day 19 I had first post op Dr appointment. He said start using a cane. Up till now it was a walker. I can return to driving at Day 21. ( left hip replacement so my right leg can do the driving)
Practice stairs, do what I want within reason. Wear the Ted hose another week.
Doctors are in and out so fast I had some unanswered questions.
My knee still hurts. :gaah: The swelling is minimal compared to last week but the knee hurts.
Bruising is dissipating.
Incision site is tender, at the same time partly numb with some swelling.
I am :alarm: tired. Ten hours a night and still not much energy during the day. :shrug:
It could have something to do with my :catdance: jumping on me in the middle of the night.
I’m startled awake afraid she’ll land on my incision.

On another matter, I’m consciously trying to walk without a “gimp”.
Any ideas out there on how to overcome a limp? I know both legs are the same length but the new hip leg feels longer. I know the new hip is strong and sturdy.
The old hip is like an old car with shocks worn out. :eyebrows:

swimmer77

Country
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Another thread helping me so thanks for that. Learned I maybe shouldn't be alarmed if and when I see more bruising.

Not much in the way of tips I can offer. I alternate looking at foot on the operated side and looking into a mirror while I walk. Others will have better advice which I will also learn from. LOL

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That knee will get better @mlas... for my first THR my knee was pretty much the same as yours... swollen & painful...

However, after some time it wore off & was fine... they talked about how the hip changed the gait pre op & then the knee has to again accommodate the new hip post op. It makes sense really.

The only way to alleviate the gimpy limp is to keep using a walking aid... doing heel toe walking, until you no longer limp!
Giving up walking aids too soon is a big no no!!

This recovery is very up & down... it’s a fine balance between doing enough to help & not doing too much to hinder... you will sure find out if you do too much... i’m 5 months post 2nd THR & I walked a little further each day & rested a lot!
My hip is fabulous.

Hope you recovery continues to do well xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Beverly123
Recent bookmarks