THR Posterior vs Anterior hip replacement

Dulcinea14

Country
United States United States
What is the difference between posterior and anterior total hip replacement. My doctor is doing the posterior. Is that the norm? What do most patients have?

I'm not a professional, but from my reading on this site and research I had done before my surgery, I believe it depends on your doctor's assessment of your situation and also his or her skills. Some say that the anterior approach heals faster, but that really isn't true. The incisions are different, you might have different restrictions for a few months afterwards, but they are still replacing a hip, which takes the same length of time to heal no matter which approach is used.

I believe the posterior approach is more common, but I'm not sure.

Posterior I think has been the most popular approach. Recently you'll hear lots of reports of "anterior" approach surgery, including some inflated reports on the pace of recovery.

Basically choose a good surgeon. There are excellent surgeons using anterior or posterior or lateral (my surgeon) approaches. And there are mediocre surgeons using each of these approaches.

I chose my OS and after scheduling I called to ask the nurse where the scar was going to be. After my first THR I asked my OS why posterior and he said he preferred it and he felt it worked well. That was good enough for me, I liked it so much I went back for another. Research on the internet did say it gave the OS more room to work which made sense to me. My first had complications where previously inserted pins had to be removed from my femur. My second was supposed to be a breeze but while in there he found a bone cyst he had to clean and fill so maybe the extra room was good.

I’m having posterior done because I have dysplasia of the hip. Posterior you have a scar on your backside I believe and anterior is front. There is also superpath which is done on the side of your hip. I wasn’t a candidate for that either.

They say with anterior you don’t have the precautions but some don’t have precautions with posterior. It depends on what your surgeon advises. Mine says I will have precautions.
Just pick a surgeon you are comfortable with. That’s the most important thing.

The most important decision you will make is selection of your surgeon regardless of approach.
Pick a surgeon with lots of experience 150 to 300 THRs a year.
Here is some information about the various approaches.
THR approaches or incisions

I'm about to find out first hand the difference of the two techniques I think. I had a LTHR in Nov, 2015, total success, using the posterior approach.

I'm going to have a RTHR probably next month, and the new surgeon apparently does the anterior approach...(my first surgeon retired unfortunately for me).

Why I'm not sure, but the questions will come when I have one of my pre-op appointments that's coming up.

We knew for the last few years I'd need the right side done, so it's not unexpected... and this is actually my first post in nearly 5yrs I think too... so I'm back. Everyone in this site was invaluable when I went through it before, and was such a help. I hope everyone that had THR's is still doing well... and I look forward to when I don't have to get any more THR's someday too. Two is enough for me. :)

@mrsclassicscraz
If you will notice the signature on members posts, it should have their surgery date.
DGrant had surgery in May.
If you click on the avatar and see the prompt Find then you can Find All Threads by this member
Recovery thread is here:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom