THR Posterior mini 8 days ago

MoonRiverplayer

Country
United States United States
Feel relieved to find this forum! July 14 surgery for bone on bone osteoarthritis. I had No Restrictions, was told to do the home exercises, and to walk, walk, walk. Weightbearing as tolerated, letting pain be my guide. Using a walker, on 4th day I walked 400 ft approx..4 s done days later now, I continue to walk around my house, light activity level, rest and elevate and ice. Because of excessive heat in Baltimore, stopped outdoor walking. Swelling is minimal, mostly my ankles now. Does this sound right?
I am normal weight, otherwise healthy..but very anxious. I am concerned I may be over doing it for this early phase. Thoughts??

Hello @MoonRiverplayer - and :welome: to recovery.

Walking is he best exercise for your hip, but you do need to be careful not to do too much at first. You hip has been through major surgery and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can heal, before you stress it with too much exercise.

Rest, ice and elevate your leg and hip, and take your medications on a regular schedule.

Here are our recovery guidelines - including artifices about the best way to elevate and ice your hip.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Wow, no restrictions....I thought with posterior you always had restrictions. I guess, the pain will be your guide.

You sound like your doing wonderfully, congrats. Looking forward to reading about your journey.

Hi:wave: and :welome:
Sounds like you are doing good.
My ankles had some swelling too even though I didn't have alot of incision site swelling...
I iced my hip regularly anyway and elevating...toes above nose...when resting really helped with my feet.
Congrats on your new hip...my surgery was indeed a life changer for me.
Bonesmart was a big part of my recovery as it was my go-to for "is this normal?" questions.
Lots of great advice from those who have been on this journey.:friends:
Slow and steady will win the recovery race, as Celle said.

Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

I am concerned I may be over doing it for this early phase. Thoughts??

I think you’re doing great! I experienced the posterior approach also with zero restrictions. What I loosely used as a guide was the Activity Progression For THR. While you may find yourself more active, if you stick to the recommendations pretty closely over the first two months, you should remain safe without risk of overdoing it.
Happy Thursday!

Hello and welcome. It sounds like you are doing great with some light activities and then rest. Keep listening to your body and your hip and continue on your recovery journey. I had a posterior but had restrictions for 6 weeks which was fine, my hip did not want to do those motions anyways so not too difficult. Icing and elevating were my biggest aids. I iced pretty much non stop whenever sitting, reclining or laying down. I took ice to bed with me and changed the ice if I woke up in the middle of the night. I hope you are having a great day. Stay cool, heat has been quite nasty this summer.

Happy Friday and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling more at peace with recovery and enjoying the progress you‘ve made. We’d love to read how you’re doing and hope you’ll take the time to update. Will look forward to hearing from you. :fingersx:
All the best as you move forward.:walking:
@MoonRiverplayer

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back