THR Posterior hip replacement recovery

Tinesme

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I am now 3 weeks post Left THR posterior and I am sore at night at the front of hip mostly. And my heel of operated leg starts to pain during the night too. (I do sleep on my back with pillow between legs).
Is posterior recovery just slower than anterior.?

Hi @Tinesme and :welome: to the forum.
Can you please let us know the actual date of your THR and which hip was replaced so we can add you to a recovery group and you can follow some of your recovery cohorts.
These are early days and though there is much hype about anterior being a bit easier, really the recoveries track much the same especially long-term.
At 3 weeks the recovery regemin is definitely getting old.:bored:
I also had issues with my heels burning and my kiwi stepsister provided relief in the form of a "sheepy" swath she had given my stepmother.
I placed it under my heels to cut down the friction caused by restless legs and the angle with the pillow.
Patience is definitely prescribed in large doses.
Hopefully you are still icing regularly:ice:as this really helps with ongoing pain and inflammation.

It does get better.:console2:

Below, I will leave you the recovery guidelines. Check out the activity progression and it may help to see if you are doing too much too soon.

You will love your new hip once you get over the tough bits.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome and Congrats on your new hip!
It sounds like your nights are a bit uncomfortable. I’m sure that will slowly level out with a little more time. How are you feeling about your days at this point? Wondering what a typical day looks like for you? Hopefully you’ve established a routine and you‘re feeling stronger week by week.

Please stay in touch. We’re here for support and encouragement whenever you need it.
Happy Tuesday! :wave:
@Tinesme

Is posterior recovery just slower than anterior.?
Recovery is different for everyone. The approach used does not have any impact on how fast or slow you recover. It's all about how you react to the surgery and how long you limped around pre-op.

Early days!

Yay new hip! I am 7 long days out. My pt guy said to put a pillow so the heel “floats” under op leg. I did that for a couple of days but then too problematic getting pillow there and so far heels ok. Incremental progress is what is happening. I am an action type person so learning patience is not easy. Best of luck to you!

From reading on here it seems the posterior to anterior healing time is about the same. Everyone and every hip is different. My 2 hips weren't related in any way despite the same procedure and the same OS. Actually my L which had known complications going in was a little easier than my right. At 3 weeks things hurt I didn't know I had. I didn't have heel pain until much later when my foot developed plantar fasciitis(sp). One thing my OS recommended was placing a rolled towel under my ankle 1/4 of the time I was sitting with my leg up. It kept pressure off of my heel and stretched out the muscles at the back of my leg. Hat to say it but 3 weeks is still the very early stages of recovery from a THR. On the bright side you're past the first 2 weeks which is the worst, unless you enter the ODIC which is a real bummer.

Thank you for all the reply and support. I am mostly lying down in bed or sitting in bed. Sitting on a chair is not very comfortable and hip gets sore. If I want to sit at diningroom table to eat with family...do I need to elevate my legs?
My surgery was on 3rd Feb 2021 so 3 weeks today.
I realise patience is the key and to listen to my body!

I ate every meal at the dining room table, just me but maintaining structure in recovery was important to me. I used a cheap plastic patio chair that had arms, it was comfortable and the arms made it easier. I had a seat cushion I placed in it for comfort also. I sat a little sideways at the table to not bend as much and not having to scoot the chair in.

Yes, you monitor your body--but yes, you can sit at the dining room table. You're not expected to elevate your legs 24/7. You do want to use the new hip--but slowly of course.

I left the hospital (day after my surgery) and went straight to a favorite lunch place with my sister and close friend.

Question: are you walking? With a walker or cane? Walking (with walker as long as needed and then cane) is, as was mentioned before, the best way to begin to build your strength. I don't think I saw where you mentioned that. Recovery takes time and it's not precisely predictable.

But yes you can sit at the dining room table--unless your surgeon gave you some extreme directions.

One suggestion. It's impossible to really take in all the suggestions about recovery from our surgeon and their staff. Don't be afraid to call the surgeon's office to get reassurance on what you can do. We can help you here, but some people feel better hearing guidance from their surgeon's staff.

I did both: used bonesmart and my surgeon's chief nurse. But I'm a little worried that 'think it's dangerous to sit in a chair. Were there special restrictions placed on you by the surgeon? Based on the complexity of the surgery?

Its 3 and a half weeks post opp and I woke up 3 mornings this week around 4.30am in terrible groin pain and lower left back pain. Im doing my exercises and walking on both crutches still. I found if I feel good and walk with one crutch I pay for it in the early hours. I have been in bed taking it slow and ice. Today is particularly bad but it is Saturday and I cant phone my surgeon. Do I stop with walking and exercises for the day and just take some codeine on top of paracetamol? Or do I go to emergency rooms to have it checked ? Im not sure if thisis just part of the process ...todays pain is the worst since surgery..and it doesn't really go away.
When I walk it feels tight and stiff today.
I feel it might be just me having an off day and need to get over it...bit embarrassed to put a post like this one...

I'm no Dr. so all I can do is give my opinion which is just that. I'd say a few days of doing nothing would be the best thing to do. It's hard when you have pins post op to determine if it's soft tissue or actual implant damage. For me I'd think the worst but come to the conclusion that I did too much and that rest would cure it and sure enough it did. I'll be the first to ask what exercises are you doing? I found at this early in recovery there isn't really an exercise that is beneficial, they just cause more damage. Even walking had to be done sensibly and I had to stay on level ground if I walked.

Hello @Tinesme
Please don’t apologize for sharing your feelings and seeking advice. That’s the point of the forum. As members, we‘re here collectively to offer support and encouragement.

I’m sorry you’re struggling with pain over the past three days. I am wondering what exercises you’re doing and how often?

Please consider skipping the exercises for awhile and see if the pain disappears. Ice the areas that are painful and use walking as your only form of exercise, but not to excess. Take whatever pain meds you were prescribed and hopefully the discomfort begins easing. If it increases in frequency, or intensity, consider calling your surgeons office to let them advise. Try to relax and get lots of rest, it’s still very early days at only three weeks post op.

Wishing you comfort and speedy relief. :console2:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you feeling? I hope things have eased since you last posted. Let us know how you’re doing, we’re here for you. :)
@Tinesme

Thank you for asking Layla, I am now very close to my 6 weeks post opp! So here is the follow up : I phoned on the Monday after painful weekend my surgeon's rooms and they put a message through to him. I went and saw GP later in the afternoon...wasn't very helpful. But got a call on Tuesday to come in on Thursday to see the surgeon.
It was my sceatica nerve and he shortened my crutches by 6cm ! I've been walking bent over to accommodate the too long crutches for the first 4weeks post opp.
He also advise to stop all exercises and only start walking short distance at first and slowly increase distance. Its now 5and a half weeks and I am still taking it slow but can walk without any support!
Bit stiff around my hip side but I assume that's part of the process!

Wow, sounds good. Love your surgeon's ability to see the big picture, including the height of the crutches. So cool.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back