Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Core Decompression Post surgery pain

Devikrishna.D

Country
India India
Hi Mam, I am demylation patient and taking prednisolone for six years.
As side effect, I had AVN with bilateral femoral head.
And undergone a core decompression surgery with bone grafting one month before. But still I am having pain on my left hip while walking.
How long will it take to recover?
Is my CD didn't worked ?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Devikrishna.D Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you tell me the exact date of your surgery? Did you have CD on both hips?

Unfortunately recovery from CD can be longer and more painful than from THR. There is no time line for recovery but full recovery can take as long as one year.

Here are some guidelines for you. They refer to THR recovery but your recovery is very similar.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So still very early days for you post surgery. Try icing and elevating for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day.

Are you taking any medication for your pain?

Debru4

graduate
Country
United States United States
I am glad you have joined this forum. You will find a lot of good information and will receive the support of others who understand what you are experiencing. It is hard to be patient with the healing process for all of us, and sometimes we worry about pains because we don't know if they are normal for recovery from the surgery, or something to be worried about. I hope you start feeling better with each new day.

OP
OP
D

Devikrishna.D

Country
India India
So still very early days for you post surgery. Try icing and elevating for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day.

Are you taking any medication for your pain?
Not taking any medicine for pain.
I am taking only calcium supplement.

Can I have normal walking and small works at home?
How long will it take me to walk normally?

Last edited:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom