THR Post surgery lateral hip pain on walking

krwcrw

Country
United States United States
Good morning. I am 20 months out from my right hip replacement and still can not stand for over 5 minutes or walk for any great distance. I have had MRI , EMG and ultrasound and all indicate that there could or might be a partial tear in gluteal medias and I think in max but no one can tell me. I would have been better off not have the hip done.

Any help would be appreciated

krwcrw,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your THR.

@Krista had a gluteus repair, she will see my tag next time she is here and stop by. It is now a year after her repair and she is doing very well.

Suggest it is time for you to seek a second opinion for your THR and possible muscle tear, from a surgeon specializing in Revisions, they have the education and background to determine what is happening with troubled Hips. Look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.

Please post your exact surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature. Having the exact date will help us properly advise. Thanks!

@krwcrw, I think Pumpkln's advice above is excellent.

I had a THR in 2015 and then a gluteus medius/minimus tendon repair in Oct 2016. We never figured out what caused my tendon tears. All I know is that after my THR I was never able to balance alone on my surgical leg for even a second, and the leg would immediately collapse under me if I tried to stand on it alone. This was true even 15 months post-THR, which is when I had the second surgery. I WAS able to balance on it pre-THR. It is also true that the gluteus medius muscle has to be dissected (teased apart lengthwise) during an anterior-lateral approach THR, like I had. My surgeon told me that sometimes older people's muscles don't heal as well as those of younger people. I used walking aids during all of the time between the surgeries because of pain and a nasty limp.

If your testing/imaging indicates possible torn glutes, and given your disability, you probably do have tears. I had to go to a second opinion orthopedic surgeon who is experienced in repairing gluteus medius tears to get a definitive diagnosis and then do the surgical repair.

Here is my thread about that surgery.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/kristas-gluteus-medius-repair-1-year-post-thr.38177/

Wishing you the best in getting to the bottom of your problems, and hoping you'll get effective treatment.

Last edited:
Oops, I had linked to the wrong thread above. I have corrected it to link to my thread about gluteal tendon surgery.

I'm so sorry you're struggling and now regretting surgery. Sadly I have no advice to offer..only sympathy
and prayer. Hopefully you find answers and get relief soon.
@krwcrw

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks