TKR post-surgery depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen123

Country
United States United States
"New here and grateful to have found a community like this! I am 7 weeks out from TKR. Two weeks after surgery back in hospital fighting infection. Home for a couple of weeks now and walking fine but depression has hit me like a mack truck. All I want to do is cry and sleep. Pain in hip is constant (I think he made my leg longer?) . I live alone, family too far away. Is it normal to feel this way this far after surgery?
Im a boomer and dont really know what defines "taking it easy".

Welcome to the forum! We are certainly glad that you found us! you have arrived at a wonderful site with tremendously compassionate and knowledgeable people.

I am very sorry to read of your depression; it is, however, quite normal for many to feel that way after surgery. There are many causes---the pain meds, the feeling of isolation, the lack of independence, the lack of mobility---the list goes on and on.

I felt very mopy and /i would stand at my front window and watch the world go by; others on this forum will chime in and give you some of their insight, too.

Have you talked with your OS or your GP? They also might be of help with some meds or some counseling to help you through this---I can commiserate with you---many of us can.

You also may want to search the forum library, as there are great articles there, as well, that deal with post-op depression. This one may be of help to you:

http://bonesmart.org/public_forum/post-op-blues-reality-prepared-for-t8134.html

Again, welcome to the forum, and keep those questions, concerns, and information as to how you are doing---coming!

*waves hello to Karen*

I suffered some significant post op depression as well (although I had hip replacement surgery - I think this still applies).

I'm a boomer too. I also am single with a dependent son who has his own health challenges and is on disability. I have a single family house that I maintain myself as well.

My point being is I went from being incredibly independent and self-sufficient to not being able to put my own underwear on without help! That, combined with some changes in my relationship with my oldest son through me into the depths of darkness emotionally.

What I did was surrender - completely surrender to the process and let go of who I was; knowing that everything happens for a reason and that at the end of the day - I'm never given anything I can't handle.

Surrendering seemed to be the trick for me as within a day or so, my depression lifted and I started to really look forward to the 'new me'.

Good luck to you and please keep us up to date on how you're doing. This is a wonderful forum of incredibly supportive people - they helped me a lot too!

:thumb:

Hi Karen, I feel for you. I had some pretty down moments, crying and the like. The loss of independence is a biggie, not sleeping doesn't help, being fidgety doesn't help, and feeling like your life isn't your own. I'm an Accountant with an office at home, so I decided to work for short periods to take my mind of it and focus on something else. It worked. I only did 45 minute stints at first, but can how do around and hour and a half, two or three times a day.

"New here and grateful to have found a community like this! I am 7 weeks out from TKR. Two weeks after surgery back in hospital fighting infection. Home for a couple of weeks now and walking fine but depression has hit me like a mack truck. All I want to do is cry and sleep. Pain in hip is constant (I think he made my leg longer?) . I live alone, family too far away. Is it normal to feel this way this far after surgery?
Im a boomer and dont really know what defines "taking it easy".

Hello Karen 123, First of all congratulations on making it to the other side. I am sorry that you are feeling depressed, even though I can say that I was too was depressed...does not make it any easier for you. I didn't find any reason to get up and get dressed, would lay on the couch till 1pm and the only reason that I got up and took care of showering and getting dressed was because I had to go to PT. I felt very alone, didn't talk to anyone all day, felt left out of everything. and like the post above from Referee, I used to look out my window and watch the world go by without me and I was sad. I think that when I wrote about it, even Josephine said that I was depressed!

It takes time, gradually each day will get a little brighter as your pain lessens and you can get around more than you do now. It is very normal to feel this way, the pain meds also can have this effect on you too.

I am glad that you found us here on BoneSnart, it is full of wonderful caring and compassionate people. Come back often, no question is unimportant, ask away there are plenty who have been right where you are now and will assure you that you are Ok and time will make everything better! :doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze:

Hi, Karen...welcome to the forum!!! So sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit blue. That is really common as you'll find when you hear from other BoneSmarties. You have a LARGE family to support you now, so try not to worry. You most certainly are NOT alone going through recovery.

Others have had infections too and have done just fine. What will happen next depends a bit on the infection itself and how the treatment goes. What exactly are they doing for you?

Karen, Hi I also live by myself and it is hard not to be able to get up and get out like you use too. I also had the blues and I did have it address because i didn't want it to rule my life, however saying that there are days i cry and feel down, the biggest thing that has helped me is to take care of my pain and make sure it doesn't get out of control. This has really bean a chanllege for me even to spell right all the time has been a hand full. Don't feel alone in the battle we are all with you and remember this site is open 24 hours, ever day. When I can't sleep I log on and read stories and read from the information and went to the game room. Some time it would be for quite a while but we are all worth it. Again welcome and do ask question because we have wouderfull staff here. they are great. I consider them staff because they have helped me so much. Take care Tashia :doggieshmooze::yes 4::flowerysmile:

...depression has hit me like a mack truck. All I want to do is cry and sleep. Pain in hip is constant (I think he made my leg longer?) .
Yes it's normal, as the experts will confirm. You are not alone, nor are you in any way failing. You have been very seriously hurt by someone with sharp knives (and more...) cutting you up. Your body is saying "What was THAT?? OK I am now taking over and taking all the energy you've got to heal this." So it is right and proper for you not to do much, to sit a lot, to watch TV, to read silly books (I couldn't read intelligent books, the words made no sense), to go to bed early, to get up late, to do, in summary, anything you darn please (see the use of the polite word 'darn' there? You know that's not really the word, right :th_heehee:?)

I'd consult the doc about the hip and look for (a) stretching exercises (b) massage. Surgery corrected my bow legs (the Irish expression is "couldn't stop a pig in a passage" :snork:) and my body too is confused, and I get bits of leg ache and back ache. Not as bad as yours I think but I reckon these things are treatable.

Hi Karen, welcome to BoneSmart. Just checking to see how you are doing. I remember those weepy days. We all do! The good news is this too shall pass.

I hope you come back and update us soon!

Hi Karen and welcome,

It's a challenge to deal with the recovery from this great assault on your body, which certainly affects your mind and spirit. Take it one hour at a time, just get through that, and pretty soon several hours will pass and you will see it gets better. Just know you are not alone, what you feel is normal, and that there are kind hearted souls here to provide support when it's not available elsewhere. I have dealt with depression my whole life and was not prepared for the extra challenge that the surgery brings. Once I realized that I wasn't in control of the healing process, and started to read about the experience others had, I felt much comfort and less isolated. Keep the faith, better days are ahead, but for now, one hour at a time.

Best,

Dawn

Hi Karen and welcome to Bonesmart.

As the others have said, depression is totally normal after this procedure.

I feel for you as you have nobody to lean on, help you cope both physically and mentally.
Feel free to come here and vent.

Do you have any friends who can come over to keep you company and help with shopping, meals, etc?

This is a tough recovery, and the combo of pain, meds, loss of freedom,
and pain, pain, pain doesn't make it any easier.
Isolation itself can cause mood changes.
If your symptons continue or worsen, see your PCP to get help.
Take care,
Sandy

Hi, Karen...welcome to the forum!!! So sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit blue. That is really common as you'll find when you hear from other BoneSmarties. You have a LARGE family to support you now, so try not to worry. You most certainly are NOT alone going through recovery.

Others have had infections too and have done just fine. What will happen next depends a bit on the infection itself and how the treatment goes. What exactly are they doing for you?

Oh my gosh how wonderful you all are! I am relieved to hear this is normal. As for infect protocol, I'm done. Main lined antibiotics in hospital and just finished my scrip. OS says things are looking good. Since I have lost faith in him I've enlisted another doc (for backup opinions) and she concurs. I am grateful it didnt get worse. Three ambulance rides one month are enuf.
Thanks again.

Hi there, Karen. I see Tim gave you the link to the article on post-op blues. Here's some more that might help you with the rest of your recovery.
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Taking it easy at 7 weeks means
~ resting lots, like at least 5 hours during the daylight hours and all of the dark hours!
~ not getting into a tiz about not being able to sleep at night but making do with cat naps when ever and where ever you can
~ not bothering about dust bunnies as you need to rest
~ not cooking family meals and then doing all the serving, clearing and washing up yourself
~ not cooking family meals period!
~ spending no more than 40 mins at the shops and having at least one 5 min sit-down while you are there

Karen,

Sorry to hear that your recovery has been eventful instead of uneventful!!

I also felt depressed after my first tkr--finally figured out that Tramadol was contributing to my feelings. I switched to another pain med and felt better within a week.

I also noticed that I was not eating well. finally started buying high protein "Naked juice" and my blues went away with the high protein intake.

I know that things will look up once you can move around more easily. I live in Montana where the summer days are so beautiful but winter can be gloomy. I had my surgeries in spring because I could not take a winter without skiing!! I am impressed at those of you who have surgery during the winter months. I wish you well and hope things improve in the next few weeks. Kelly

Have sunk even deeper so went to doc for meds which will hopefully help. Can't afford to take any more time off work so will just soldier through and hope it gets better. All of my symptoms were named in Tim's link so I guess that makes this normal :)

Hi there,
I too had some complication post surgery and was really hit with depression. And I was fortunate to have the best caregiver in the world - my husband - to help me out. I really tried hard to stay cheerful and keep my crying jags private, but it was a real struggle. Now at a little over 2 months post op, I still have those "down days," but am coming to terms with the long recovery period. Hang in there!!!!

Oh sweetie, my heart breaks for you! I don't think anyone is prepared for the intensity and length of recovery. I am at 11 weeks and several times along the way I was sure that I would be in pain forever and I still get discouraged at times. Remember that 6-12 months is the timeline for recovery. I had read this, but thought I would be different and should be well along at 6-12 WEEKS! Wrong! Be patients, patient, patient. Infact make patience your second name. Will be thinking of you. Vicki

Karen....how are you doing??? I've been thinking about you.

Hi! I found getting back to part time work helped me take my mind off of myself and my troubles. As long as nobody sees me hobble around, I feel fine. We all can relate to your post... Hang in there! Best of luck and prayers!

Hi Karen, its been several days since you've been back. I hope that you are feeling better. I can't imagine being alone after TKR surgery. I know that some on here are alone and I know it must be very hard, it was hard enough with my family around me. I do hope that you are doing ok and will come back soon to let us know how you are progressing. Take care...:doggieshmooze:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom