TKR Post polio need TKR

Ann1950

Country
United States United States
I'm 69 year old female, had polio about 3 years old. Worked my life and destroyed my knee. I'm looking for anyone with post polio surgery expertise. I am in Las Vegas but will travel to get help. Have order a brace but am getting unable to do much I really need a surgeon to try and help. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hello @Ann1950 - and :welome:

I'm glad you found us.

I can't recall anyone who has had polio before having a knee replacement, but someone may know of a friend or acquaintance.

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself, such as to what extent polio has affected your mobility, and whether you have any breathing difficulties?
Do you have someone at home, who will be able to help you after you've had surgery?
Did you catch polio in the USA or overseas?

You may find that your own doctor/PCP is your first resource to suggest a surgeon for you. He/she will be aware of any potential problems associated with the surgery.

By the way, since you haven't had your surgery, I've moved your post to the Knee Surgery Pre-Op Area.
People who have had surgery do come back here, to offer experience and advice.

@Ann1950
You should be able to find someone in the Las Vegas area, you can use the Surgeon Locator at the top of the page to start your search.
You may want to search for a a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction given your history. The surgeons usually have that information on their website.

if you google, "knee replacements in post polio patients", there are several articles.

Ann1950,
One of our members posted this link to a podcast about polio, thought you would like it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom