THR Post opp Dr says I am behind. I am now 7 weeks out from my THR of Apr7

lynnjoy2

Country
United States United States
I am now seven weeks out from my total hip replacement. I am still in a lot of pain and just starting to walk without a walker but with a very big limp. My doctor told me at three weeks out that I should be farther along and that he has not seen anyone this slow in recovery. I saw him again at six weeks out and again he told me that 80% of his patients are doing much much better. Just left me feeling like something is really wrong with me and I have been so distressed and depressed that it has been really hard to function at all. I am so thankful for this form because it seems that other people are having problems as well and that I am not some kind of freak . I still can’t drive and I’m having a lot of trouble with just basic movement and pain. I went into a rehab program directly after the surgery in the hospital. I almost feel like that made things worse. I live in Borrego springs which is a remote area at the base of the mountains in San Diego county and basically is no physical therapy here. Additionally I felt so fragile when I got home from the hospital that I couldn’t imagine getting in and out of the car to go and drive for physical therapy. I’m starting physical therapy this Friday in Julian and I am very afraid that I’m going to be put in a position where I’m going to hurt myself. My doctor made me feel as though I should be done with the pain medication and doing so much better. Are there other people out there with the same issues.

Hi and Welcome!

I‘m so sorry that your doctor is so uncaring. No wonder you have been so distressed and depressed. :console2:But you have come to the right place, this is a great forum full of members just like you, with recoveries just like you, and we are all here for each other.

Hang out here with us, Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. Here is a week-by-week guide
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@lynnjoy2 I am 13 and a half weeks out of surgery although I did not have a THR but just three pins in my femural neck bone to keep my hip intact while the fracture heals. I have had on and off pain everyday since the surgery. My surgeon kept telling me that everything is fine and the fracture is completely healed and the pain I am feeling is muscular. His nonchalance made me make a bad decision and travel to Europe at only 7 weeks and that really hindered my recovery.

I decided to get a second opinion which was the best decision I made. My new doctor takes me seriously and listens to me when I say I am in pain. His team is also caring and polite. I feel so much better when I go to see him (actually yesterday ahead of schedule). I told him I was scared of AVN and he said the xray looks good but he thinks I over did it this past weekend so he gave me some muscle relaxants so I am feeling much more comfortable.

Surgeons feel like they have done their duty once they operate and the operation is a success. What some surgeons are not so good at is dealing with their patients mental state while they are recovering. Its really important to find someone who cares about your recovery and deals with your pain levels seriously. Just my opinion. I am sorry you are still in pain but 7 weeks is still pretty early in your recovery. That said you can still get a second opinion and see what another doctor says. My only advice is to really research the second opinion doctor and read his reviews so you dont end up in the same situation again. Hope you feel better soon.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I‘m sorry you’re struggling with pain and feeling down. Seven weeks is very early into a recovery than can last a full year and even longer for some. Many continue to make progress into their second and even third year post op. Just curious, how do you feel you’re doing in relation to what is described as activity in this article? https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Try not to be discouraged and know that many experience what is known as Post Op Blues - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

In regard to the limp you mentioned, we do recommend you use an assistive device as long as you’re limping. Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Here is a visual on heel-toe walking -
1639236580030.jpeg

I am so thankful for this form because it seems that other people are having problems as well and that I am not some kind of freak
Each person recovers at their own pace. I don’t know that I’d view a slower recovery as a “problem”. You’re not a freak and please try not to allow anyone to make you feel that way. It’s unnecessary.

When did your PT begin / end and how often did you attend? Also wondering what you routinely did there and if you continued any of the exercises once you stopped attending? If so, please share what you’re doing.

It sounds like you’re still on meds. Wondering if you ice at all to help with pain? If not, please consider it and see if it helps. Here is a article on Icing -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

In relation to PT, just remember that you don’t have to do anything that causes you pain and I’d advise that you don’t. It is your body, and you can say No as you’re the one that will suffer the repercussions, if any, not the therapist. So take it slow and easy.

Please let us know how it goes and stop back for support anytime you feel the need.
Lights never go out here. Take good care!
@lynnjoy2

@lynnjoy2 i am at 81/2 weeks post op. (March 25th).. I also still have pain when walking without a cane. Especially if I have been sitting for awhile. When I first stand up and take a few steps it’s reallllly painful! If I take Tylenol and keep moving it’s tolerable but im still not pain free. This is my second THR so I know time is the only path to getting there. My first was a very long process because I let it go for four years and my hip was in very bad shape. Im at a loss as to why your OS would even compare your progress to others. No two are the same…….please don’t get depressed and discouraged. You will improve at your own pace, even though it takes a ton of patience and I know it’s hard to find it sometimes. It will come.

Here’s hoping you’re still breathing L, next time you see Doctor Crippen tell that you have a fellow hippy in the UK who was / is super fit and his recovery matches yours almost to the day.

Everybody’s recovery will be different and yours sounds as per normal from my experience. Take the above advice and you won’t go far wrong.

Now that’s enough about you, I’m (more importantly) just 69, although I look (according to Mistress Wilky with plus +6 specs on) 40 ish yet I’m struggling a bit 15 month on. I accept reluctantly that I’m not though 40 anymore so we 60’s folk are gunna have aches and pains without the tolerating of new bits. From my experience you’re on song and recovery will change from week to week, well mine has.

Think yourself lucky in that there San Diego, I (here in Manchester UK) got discharged by my surgeon before the aesthetic wore off!! and never seen him since!!!

So you’re doing Normal girl, you can star in my film The Hip and Nicole can play your part, Mrs O Wilky has been annoying today so her parts going to Joe Brand now!

Lynnjoy 2 on her next next visit to Crippen.

“”You shout it out
But I can't hear a word you say

I'm talking loud, not saying much

I'm criticized, but all your bullets ricochet
Shoot me down, but I get up

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
Fire away, fire away

Ricochet, you take your aim
Fire away, fire away

You shoot me down, but I won't fall
I am titanium

You shoot me down, but I won't fall
I am titanium”

Whoo! whoo! whoo!

Good luck keep your pecker up girl and take Bonesmart advice.

Last edited:
I'm 3 months and a week post op and just starting to walk freely w/o cane so don't beat yourself up. Everyone recovers different. Still using cane outside on uneven areas.
I also felt that I should have been further along in my recovery and if it wasn't for this forum I would have driven myself nuts.
I kept reading and hearing about those who had hip replacement and in 2 weeks walking with no assistance surely there's something wrong with me! LOL!
And just last week I had one of those days where I sobbed half the day thinking I was never going to turn the corner and guess what, I did. Does my hip still hurt, sure does but when it hurts I take a break ice and relax.
When I read here that hips really heal on their own and best PT is walking I embraced it. And when I saw my ortho on Tuesday I asked about any PT and she said just walk as much as possible, so that's what I am doing.
Stay strong, we are all on this journey together and are here to lift your spirits if need be.
P.S. I'd get rid of that doctor...if he's not going to be your advocate...your doctor should be encouraging you.

It’s shocking how your surgeon has spoken to you. Some of us take longer than others, so what! I have only recently retired my crutches at nearly 5 months after my second hip replacement operation, and I shall be getting them out again if I feel I need them. My first hip was still improving well beyond 12 months. So 7 weeks really is very early in recovery. That’s not to say you will be suffering for a year, but you can expect ups and downs.

I kept a record of my recoveries. I’ve had setbacks, but over time there were plenty of milestones to report that cheered me up. You say that you are starting to walk without a walker. Clearly that shows progress, good for you! Have you gone straight from a walker to no aids at all? Most people go in stages, from walker to cane, or from two crutches to one crutch. And build up the time in each new phase. And there seems to be nothing to gain except pain by pushing it before your hip is ready. Then there just comes a day when the hip is ready to move on.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How is your recovery going? We’d love to hear about your progress.
I hope all is well and you’re slowly getting back to normal. Have a good week!
@lynnjoy2

Hope your feeling and healing a bit better. Your doctor should not be comparing you. You are you, the one and only! I have a some bad/slow recoveries and some complication. I found that when recovery is going slowly keep a journal helps. Maybe you walked 5 feet farther, maybe took 15 minutes longer to need pain medicine. A recovery journal can help see that. Just my 2 cents.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom