Lounge Doctor

THR Post op with lots of questions

pegggus

Country
United States United States
What a great forum....it's amazing to think members asked about me when I went silent after surgery! Anyway, left THR was Friday. Hospital stay was two nights instead of one since I vomited when they first tried to get me to eat and I almost fainted when they first tried to get me out of bed. Rest of stay was uneventful.

I've had one visit from home nurse and two visits from physical therapy so far. Today, after physical therapy, the top of my leg is very sore and stiff, which I had been told to expect. I was sent home with compression stockings on my legs, but no guidance when to wear them. Tonight after I went to bed the stocking on operated leg was really bugging me, as it had bunched up in some places. I couldn't get it quite right, so I ended up taking them off. I figured it was better than having to make my legs sore, but I'm always looking for advice. The only other treatment given to me for a possible blood clots was aspirin. I'm not at a high risk for clots, but they terrify me. Is there anything in particular I should be doing or watching out for to ease my mind?

julesglass

graduate
Country
Good evening @pegggus. Good to hear from you! Sounds like things are going well for you minus the stockings. I didn't wear them once I got home. Don't remember if I was to wear them or not. I was not able to remember to take asprin, oops. I made it though. stay in touch cause it helps you and helps others that are headed our way.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Is there anything in particular I should be doing or watching out for to ease my mind?
If you are moving around regularly and taking aspirin you should be fine. Do you have anyone who could help you put on the socks correctly? If not they are pretty much impossible to put on yourself and stay within any restrictions. In any case research now indicates they don't do much TEDs Negative Research: Lancet 27th May 2009

I'll leave you with some reading to do. The articles might answer some of your questions about this recovery:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

dandy_candi

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Glad to see you are doing well with only problems with stockings.
I too had issues with mine. I am 5'2" but have kind of big calves for my height and I found that the stockings cut in under my knees at the back. It would gradually increase in pressure as I was wearing them and actually cut in so bad it would wake me up in the middle of the night and has left light red marks.

My pt advised similar to Jaycey that if I was moving around they weren't particularly useful and to take the aspirin. I took them for about a week before I began to forget to take them.

Hope all continues to go well. Just remember to rest, sleep when your body tells you to, Ice and find something to binge on tv.

Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
Today, after physical therapy, the top of my leg is very sore and stiff, which I had been told to expect.
I don't agree. I disagree with it for knees and even less for hips. Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. So I suggest you dismiss the home PT and stop it all.
Tonight after I went to bed the stocking on operated leg was really bugging me, as it had bunched up in some places. I couldn't get it quite right, so I ended up taking them off. I figured it was better than having to make my legs sore
Very wise. Ill-fitting TEDs do more harm than good. And since I expect you are reasonably mobile by now - going to bathroom and kitchen and so forth - you don't really need them anyway.
The only other treatment given to me for a possible blood clots was aspirin.
Aspirin is a very good anti-coagulant.
My pt advised similar to Jaycey that if I was moving around they weren't particularly useful and to take the aspirin. I took them for about a week before I began to forget to take them.
I suspect that comment was referring to the TED stockings. You must keep taking the aspirin as long as your surgeon has told you to which is generally about 6 weeks.

chatterz

Country
I hate compression stockings. I wore mine religiously just like the doctor said, but they are a pain in the neck to get on or off. Everyone in my family hated me because they struggled to put them on and off me. I sure couldn't do it! Glad you were able to ditch them! Next time (Ha! There better not be a next time!) I'm not going to use the compression socks at all.

FraidyCat

Country
Compression stocking caused a secondary, unnecessary injury on my operated side. (I had RTHR three weeks ago.) It bunched up, creating a tourniquet-type injury, which culminated in a massive blister. When the blister broke, I was left with an open wound that has had to be monitored and dressed every couple of days, as it was an infection risk. Only after two weeks did it begin to show signs of healing. I do not recall nurses checking the stocking, which I think was put on after surgery, during the three and a half days I was in the hospital. And I know that no one warned me, upon discharge, that I must monitor the stocking for wrinkling, bunching, etc., even though the type of problem that I encountered is one that's known.

OP
OP
P

pegggus

Country
I have a question about random leg pain. This is all on my non-operated leg. The calf on that leg had been tight and painful for several days. Like a bad charley horse. I mentioned this to PT, home nurse, and doc, all of whom glanced and touched leg and declared the pain muscular. I didn't have an issue with this, I'm sure I am using all my muscles in a funky way right now. But for the last two days, when I first stand up and walk, especially first thing in the morning, I get a sharp stabbing pain up the front of that leg, from above the ankle to midway up the thigh. Almost like an electric shock. As I'm sitting here, it's a bit sore. It doesn't happen every time I stand up and seems to lessen wth activity. No redness, lumps, excessive swelling. Can I just put the idea of blood clot out of my mind? Try to work it out somehow? Ice or heat? I'm 100% sure all these professionals have labeled me "the girl who cried blood clot", and I and admit it has always been my overwhelming fear. But this pain, while not excruciating, is real.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Are you still taking aspirin? And are you moving around regularly during the day? Does heat or ice ease this?

I had major muscle spasms post LTHR. I started doing very gentle stretches and circles with my feet (just at the ankle) and all this eased.

You are still very early out from your surgery. If your care team has seen this and they are OK with it I would not worry. Rest, ice and elevate. If that does not ease this then I would have it checked further.

gullimac

graduate
Country
I don't think you should be worried about being labeled "the girl who cried blood-clot". It can not hurt too keep mentioning it if it does not clear up. It is still early and may very well be muscular. You are right that you are using that leg differently before and that can cause some odd aches and pains.

OP
OP
P

pegggus

Country
Today was a busy one! Had my final at home PT and she was pleased with my progress. I am actually pretty surprised at my range of motion, although my quad is still so so tight on the operated leg. Calfs are still crampy so I need to be better about stretches. It was a lovely day here in DC area so my husband and I went downtown and spent a few minutes browsing a bookstore, walked to a restaurant, and had a nice lunch. I was amazed that I was able to sit in a normal dining chair for so long, athough I think I slouched a bit. Now I'm home resting and I see that my operated leg is swollen, especially near ankle. I guess this is normal with increased activity? Ice and elevation needed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Ice and elevation needed?
Indeed! Normal to get that swelling for quite awhile post op. Sounds like you had quite an active day. Well done! My strategy was an active day followed by a rest day. Soon the rest days get shorter!

OP
OP
P

pegggus

Country
Saw OS today, four weeks post op. Let him know my operated leg was doing well...no real pain, just stiffness and swelling, especially after walking. Insomnia remains but has been a lifelong struggle for me, so not sure how much, if any, of that is surgery related. Some of my biggest issues emanate from my right hip, which has also collapsed due to AVN. I plan to have that surgery sometime in the next year. I haven't used my walker in a few weeks but do still limp with and without cane. Doc told me he'd like to see me off the cane. I told him that I thought you were supposed to stay on cane until your gait is correct so as to not reinforce your bad mechanics. But he didn't seem to think that way. I can walk without cane, but not "correctly". I'd be curious to hear what others have been told as far as when to stop using cane.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I can walk without cane, but not "correctly". I'd be curious to hear what others have been told as far as when to stop using cane.
I don't agree with your doctor. Until you can walk correctly I would stick with the cane. Bad habits are hard to break.

Krista

post-grad
Country
@pegggus, you say your non-surgical leg has a collapsed hip. I would imagine that would cause a great deal of pain and disability, but even if not, many people who are recovering from a hip replacement, whose good leg is normal and strong, need walking aids for up to ten or twelve weeks. I can't imagine what it would be like to try to walk without aids when only one month out from a THR and with a collapsed hip in the other leg. Wishing you well in your recovery from the THR!

OP
OP
P

pegggus

Country
Hello again all!
I am now five days post op with my second thr. My immediate recovery was so much better this time...they listened to me about how the anesthesia made me so ill last time (I couldn't stand without fainting and puking until the second day) and adjusted it. This time I was up and walking with no nausea hours after the surgery. Went home the next day and everything has gone better since then. I haven't been "out of it", I haven't a ost fainted, I've been able to sit at the dining room table to eat, all days before last time.
The one problem has been home health. I was using the same service as last time but yesterday teh nurese didn't show after she said she would. She later denied saying that, but my sister who is home with me for two weeks heard it too. During my first PT visit Monday teh therapist asked if he could come today at eight. That was early but since I'm basically on a weird twenty four hour schedule I said fine. No call yesterday to confirm, and he wasn't here by eight thirty. I call him, he apologizes for "not calling to schedule". I inform he, no, he DID schedule, for 8, and I've been awake and dressed since 730. He asks if he can come later today and I say no. I call my nurse manager and say that home heath is, this time, more trouble than it's worth. I have all the exercises from November, my sister is a nurse and can take off bandage, and all they seem to be doing is raising my blood pressure. She agrees one hundred percent. I see the doc in eight days and will just be on my own until then. But I think that is fine and all I need.
Biggest issue since are the stiffness and swelling. Pain isn't bad at all. I'm already so sure that this was teh best decision for me.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Welcome to the other side again! Get that ice and elevation going - it will address the stiffness and swelling.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I had a very bad experience with PT 8 days after my surgery and was so out of whack because they were so unsupportive and apathetic it was detrimental to my recovery.
I kind of took the same approach... Heck with y'all, I can do this myself.
I know I was extremely sensitive at that point but darn it... You feel so vulnerable at that stage you don't need anyone sabatoging your recovery- or sanity at this point.
Good for you to not let their incompetency get you down.
Keep on keeping on. Ice is our friend.

sammylou99

senior
Country
I wouldn't worry about any PT at this point. I didn't start mine until around 6 weeks properly and that was only to correct my gait and knead away the scar tissue. I reckon walking gently and building that up is all you need to be doing at this point in between lots of rest!
Take care,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
coachpaul74