Ask the Expert Webinar
Lounge Doctor

TKR Post op TKR

sallysunhine

Country
United States United States
good morning how do i have my surgical date added

i had Left TKR August 13 2020. As an OP all went well. Recovery has been a challenge I have tried to complete all of my exercises and walking however my leg is very painful.

DVT was ruled out. I feel like a failure my presurgery bone pain is gone but it was mentioned that i would be able to go back to work after one week. My work gave me 6 weeks.

I see the doctor his week for a back to work or not.

They stopped PT because of swelling per the office girl. I was told at 4 weeks pool and bike?
I have not slept through the night due to pain. We live in a state where they do not prescribe pain meds after the initial 10 days. Tylenol is not helping and nsaids like Advil I cannot take ........................my leg hurts the muscles.

My surgeon was great but the office staff is horrible. I am afraid to even call them. The girl told me to shut up don't interrupt and " you had surgery what do you expect your leg will be painful and swollen " don't call back you have a follow up appointment .............................. I never had a TKR before and do not know what to expect. I thought after 3 days i would not need pain meds and would be walking consistently and improving but i really feel like a failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@sallysunhine I am so sorry your surgeon set such unrealistic expectations! There is no way you could return to work at one week out of this surgery. And the pool and biking - give it more time than 4 weeks. You need to baby that knee.

I'll give you some reading. Note the information about ice and elevation. Ice is a nature pain killer and should help ease that post op pain. Also see the chart representation of recovery. That will give you more reasonable expectations.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

dlssimon

Country
You're certainly NOT a failure!! You're only 4 weeks from surgery...My surgeon's office staff was kinda the same way, not to the extreme of yours. The Physicians Asst. was and is very sweet, and knowledgeable. I also had my left TKR done exactly 3 months ago today, I finally feel like there's going to be a end in sight in the month's to come. It's a long process, up to a year from what they told me. Patience is definitely a virtue when you have TKR. Keep up your PT and DON'T let them push you more than your comfortable with. Everyone is different in their recovery time frames...Good luck to you and remember you're NOT a failure

Muldoh

Country
Sounds like the office staff of your OS is the failure, certainly not you! It’s so hard through this process and not knowing what to expect and whether you’re doing OK was the hardest part of it for me. I’m 10 weeks out, but thank God I found this site because it has been the most helpful tool in this whole process! Go back and read others’ recovery threads, and you will find that you are not alone. You will hear stories similar to your own, and find others who made it to the other side, which will restore your hope! Be kind to yourself, ask for the help where you need it, and don’t let that office push you around! Wishing you well

OP
OP
S

sallysunhine

Country
thank you dissimon and muldoh for your encouragement

Tykey

big-cheese
Someone is a real copper-bottomed failure in this, but it's certainly not you, Sally.
Back to work in one week? I've never heard such codswallop!!

Stick with the advice you have already started getting here, and you will be fine.

Ohiowomen

Country
Hello I use this forum 2 years ago when I had my left total knee replacement. I recently had my right knee replacement completed on 8/25/2020. It was extremely helpful listening to what others were going though made you feel less alone. Back to work in one week is ridiculous. This is a major surgery and it is a long recovery. Even though I’ve been through this once before I still have to remind myself that it is a long recovery and eventually I will get through this. Listen to the people in Bonesmart they know what they’re talking about. I’m sorry that your office was so disrespectful about your recovery you’re not a failure at all you’re going through a difficult time and be gentle with yourself.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @sallysunhine
I'm sorry to hear how badly your surgeon and his/her office have treated you.
Your surgeon has a duty of care for you and if his office staff are stopping you from getting the help you need, he/she should be told about that.

When you go for your check-up appointment, take someone with you, to back you up and to speak up for you if you get upset.

It sounds as if you didn't have any realistic preparation for this major surgery. The truth is that it's one of the biggest surgeries you could have and you'll need time for your knee and the rest of your body to recover.

Going back to work after a week was never going to be realistic and even 6 weeks is optimistic. We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work

It's only just over a month after your surgery and your knee is still upset and inflamed. It doesn't need a lot of PT exercises, so go easy on those, and never do any that hurt. Your knee isn't lazy or unfit - it's wounded and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can heal.

Miggie

Country
Hang in there, it does get better! This is my first tkr, but I did have a thr three years ago. Listen to the forum advisors and members, they have all been where we are now. It helps to know that, and they can understand. I'm one week in and have a long way to go, but with a little help we will both make it through! Have a restful night

Oregon mom

Country
I also had a tough time with the ortho staff and nurses in particular. But I was in tremendous pain and I kept calling. They eventually forwarded me to the PA, who assisted me with getting my rx refilled. He didn't chastise me for being in pain.
No one should minimize your pain for you or bully you into not calling for help. Reading your story really chapped my hide. I doubt the behavior of this gate keeping office staff would be acceptable if reported.
Having been in this particular pain myself, I am disgusted to hear that you aren't getting what you deserve. Keep advocating for yourself. You have a right to get the pain manageable.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
From caregiver
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom