TKR Post-op Spasms

Post Op Day#18

So far I have made my check more progress than with the right knee. I stopped using crutches after two to three days, and stopped using a cane indoors around two weeks. I still take it with me when I go out, which has only been for appointments and physio. About half the time I actually use it. Stairs are coming along, just beginning to start doing regular one stair at a time pattern.

Incision is perfect. Healing well and not anything like the other side. So grateful to the team of people who helped accomplish this.

The only area I’m struggling in is with achy pain. I know when I’ve done too much - it starts to hurt right away, but I also know when I’ve done to little cause then my right knee hurts and it’s not that old either ~5mths. It’s challenging to find the balance and forces me to take pain meds more often than I’d like. Sometimes waking me from sleep because they are so sore. I still ice frequently and elevate frequently, I use my TENS machine and already take Magnesium. Any other suggestions?

It's such a delicate balance, especially since you have two knees that are healing. It sounds like you are doing the right things. If you cut back on your activity, that might help some.

It's sounds really good that your incision healing it doing better this time!

Hi! I've got a slightly longer interval between my first and second TKRs, and totally relate to feeling as if doing the "right" activity level for the new one isn't the "right" level for the more mature knee. It felt like I was sacrificing some progress on the first knee.
I reminded myself for a couple of months that the earlier knee was in fact doing *extra* work to compensate for the newer one... and still remind myself that after another few months they should be roughly equal to each other!
So hang in there. It must be a tremendous relief to see a healthy incision line!!!!

4 weeks Post-Op

Things have been going well, progressing much faster than my first surgery. Unfortunately on Saturday I noticed a small area on my incision site that was slightly red and painful to touch. Small amount of serous fluid present when pressure applied to the site. I was hopeful it was maybe just a stitch abscess like I have on my other incision but my knee has gotten increasingly swollen, painful and my ROM has decreased slightly in the past 24 hours. I think it’s the start of a post op infection.

I’m going to call my surgeon in the morning but I am so upset and angry that this is potentially happening again like with my right knee. I’ve done EVERYTHING to prevent infections, the incision looked perfect and healing so why does this keep happening? Im just feeling so frustrated and defeated. These two TKA were supposed to improve my quality of life but it is not feeling that way at the moment.

Sorry to be so negative, I have tried so hard to keep positive these past five months and to keep moving forward towards recovery but it feels like everything is stacked against me.

Attachments

• 6590B6B4-3CB0-4563-89AF-EF5670249839.jpeg
    6590B6B4-3CB0-4563-89AF-EF5670249839.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 35
Please let us know what your doctor says. Maybe it'll just be a stitch abscess. That would be a blessing. We are here for you! Your knee is only one month old can this can be just part of the healing process. I pray so.

One month down to date. I certainly hope things are okay with your incision. Lifting a prayer for a good report on the photo. We're here always, BionicMama, and we care. :console2:
@BionicMama

Try not to jump to conclusions. This knee is not your other one and it is possible that what you're seeing is something at the surface level. You're doing the right thing by contacting your surgeon immediately, though. I hope it's something simple. Will await your next post.

Thanks everyone. No explanation for what that spot on my incision was. My surgeon wasn’t concerned unless I develop a fever. Thankfully after cleansing it, using polysporin and a silver impregnated dressing for three days, the redness and little bit of drainage stopped and it had been good since. Just praying it stays that way.

When you have one bad experience like my last knee, it’s hard to be positive about any thing this time. I want to hope that it stays good and pray that it does but I just feel on edge waiting for the shoe to drop.

This whole experience has really been an emotional rollercoaster. Even just the back and forth of having one good day and the next day awful wears you down. I have such admiration for people who have had to go through multiple surgeries on their joints due to revision and such - hero’s all of you.

It can't help but be scary after your experience... It's wonderful the incision is back to healing well with your topical treatment and there's no sign of anything else. I hope with some "tincture of time" and more progress you're able to breathe more easily!

I'm sorry you're feeling unsettled. Thankfully your surgeon is not concerned. I guess all you can do is take it one day at a time and try not to allow yourself to dwell on the 'what ifs" that probably won't occur anyway. Hopefully the flurry of activity the upcoming holidays bring serves as a distraction and alleviates your fears.
Hang in there, brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
@BionicMama

Don’t let a comment from a pharmacist who doesn’t know your situation stop you from getting the medication you need. Everyone is different. My first knee I took hydrocodone for over 2 months although I did space it out more and more as I went. I was worried a little myself. Then I woke up one morning and thought “I don’t need this any more” and I didn’t. I think when you are taking for actual pain you are more than likely ok.

ok I may have replied to an early outdated comment. sorry!

Last edited:
So the saga of infection begins…

Had to start antibiotics on Thursday night due to what appeared to be a superficial surgical site infection caused by stitch abscesses. All week my left leg was swollen and progressively getting more painful. I sent a photo to my surgeon and he faxed in a script for my old best friend, Keflex.

I was hopeful that the meds would catch and out an end to it early, however Friday night and all day today I’ve had a fever and the pain to my left knee is continuing to increase. I can hardly stand for my pj bottoms to rub against the incision site and when my husband helped me to stand this evening from the couch, I literally had a guttural scream escape my mouth because it hurt so much to weight bear on the left leg. Hopefully thing take a turn for the better tomorrow.

I can hardly stand for my pj bottoms to rub against the incision site and when my husband helped me to stand this evening from the couch, I literally had a guttural scream escape my mouth because it hurt so much to weight bear on the left leg. Hopefully thing take a turn for the better tomorrow.
I would report this to my surgeon.

I sent a photo to my surgeon and he faxed in a script for my old best friend, Keflex.
Maybe he should see you in person. Watch this carefully tomorrow and contact him if you continue to get worse.

Worsening pain and a fever like this when you have been given a strong antibiotic is not a good sign. You need to contact your surgeon immediately (there will be someone on call 24/7) or go to the Emergency Room. Please let us know how things go. Even surface infections can be a serious problem and it’s better to be safe with this situation.

Hoping you get quick answers. What a scary time for you!

I'm praying for your complete healing. Please let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

As someone that had a deep knee infection (and that I suspect may be returning) let me add my voice to the others - get hold of the surgeon's office ASAP.

@BionicMama …. Do you have an infectious disease doctor on your case or are you just working with your surgeon? Given your history with these knee problems, I would strongly suggest a consultation and partnership with an infectious disease doctor. These folks are well trained in how to deal with all types of post op problems like this.

@BionicMama …. Do you have an infectious disease doctor on your case or are you just working with your surgeon?

ID had been involved previously but they signed off because things had been going so smoothly this time. I’m sure my surgeon will reach out again. I’m waiting for him to return my message to figure out next steps as my temp is remaining over 39 degrees and I can hardly bend my left knee without pain.

Last edited:
Don't wait too long. If you can't get your surgeon, go to the ER. This is not something you should let go for days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
consty
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom