TKR Post op RTKR

@suemegane How about walking the Cotswold Way? It is something I vowed I would do when I had had my knees done. However as I now seem to be going backwards muscle wise, and can't walk very far without a muscle seizing up I don't know when that will be. If I ever do recover I will do it with you

Sounds good @Majic just looked it up on google. I will look into it for a Weekend away sometime.
We were in Abingdon near Oxford 2 weeks ago & had a lovely walk along the river. We are thinking of going to north Wales next year, so there maybe a big challenge somewhere there!

I really wanted to get to the top of Snowdon under my own steam, but the weather just didn't cooperate so we went up by train. However I did do a six hour hike/scramble which tested my knees to the limit, starting and finishing at Beddgelert. I was exhausted by the end of it but felt elated that my knees had coped so well, without a twinge either during the walk or afterwards. The views were just incredible, I fully recommend it if you are going to North Wales, it is labelled a 'strenuous ' walk.
I'll let you know if I manage Hellvelyn this week, once again I think it will be the weather rather than my knees that will stop me.

Well done for doing the hike @Ellejay Lyn. Would love to be able to do that, but I am only 7 months post op so next year i would probably be ready for doing something like that when we go to North Wales. I should be able to walk a distance in Italy this September ?

8 month post op update - Things were going well but for the last 2 weeks my knee has been very stiff & aching. I have had to take paracetamol every night before bed so that I can get a good night's sleep as it's making me so restless.
The numb spot on the outside of my knee feels really funny, if I rub the top of my knee it tickles where the numb spot is.:heehee: has anyone else had these problems?
I am still going to the gym walking for 15 minutes & on the static bike for 15 minutes so I don't think I am over doing it!! I just want things to be ok by the time I fly to Italy in September.

9 month post op - I thought I would give you all an update. I was able to walk 3k last week on 2 occasions at the gym, so I think I am doing pretty well. Walking is no problem at all, it's just when I sit or lay for too long that my knee gets stiff. Hopefully this will get better in time?? My gait is still not correct, I am trying hard to walk properly but it's so hard to change long habits!. I continue to attend the gym twice a week, go for long walks & my next challenge is to have the confidence to ride my cycle again, I haven't done this since I fell of it some 6 years ago.
The bend in my knee is about 90-95 I was hoping for alittle more, but it is manageable to do most things. Getting in & out of my partners 1971 Triumph GT6 is a struggle but once in found it no problem to drive around Silverstone Classic race circuit last weekend. I do hope those that had their surgeries last November are doing well as I am.
Thank you once again to all the encouragement that members have given over the last year before & after the op. I will up date again when it's my year anniversary.

Great report. It's nice to get updates to hear how you have been able to get back into the norms of life. Hopefully the stiffness will diminish as time goes by.

The numb spot on the outside of my knee feels really funny, if I rub the top of my knee it tickles where the numb spot is.:heehee: has anyone else had these problems?
It's not really a problem, just something odd, right? It could be that the damaged nerves are still trying to re-connect. Do you remember this article? Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

Hi @suemegane,
It was great to read your update, I'm sure you will find you will improve all the time, my first knee took a whole two years to get to its peak, my second still has four months to go, but the fact that I managed Helvellyn earlier this year means they are both fine as far as I'm concerned. Just continue what you are doing and enjoy the rest of your newly active life. xx

11 months post op - I have just got back from 2 weeks holiday in Italy, did lots of walking up & down steps & slopes. It was fine for most of the time accept for stiffness & abit achy from being on my feet alot. Now I'm back the stiffness & aches in my leg, each side of my knee & foot have got worse. Last night in bed I couldn't get comfy so went back to taking paracetamol & my leg raised on a pillow. My first day back to work has been tough, sitting down at my desk for most of the 8 hours, then trying to get up was a nightmare! Maybe resting with an elevated leg is the best way to see if this helps..? I was doing so well, I'm so disappointed at the moment. :sorry:

My first day back to work has been tough, sitting down at my desk for most of the 8 hours, then trying to get up was a nightmare!
Don't sit that long, get up and stretch your legs every hour or two. Walk a few steps and then sit back down.

Don't sit that long, get up and stretch your legs every hour or two.
I agree---in the early days of recovery, when returning to work, sitting down too long can certainly take its toll---make sure you get up and move around every hour or so---maybe even more---judge it and see how you feel.

The other aspect of returning to work is all of the logistics that goes into it---getting up, possibly packing a lunch, driving to work, or taking public transit, and then getting to the office---and reversing it at the end of the day. It can take a big toll on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned about the ouchies of sitting too long when I went to see a play Downtown in Cleveland after my BTKR---we have a great theater district----anyway, I sat too long and had to almost roll out of my seat---I then asked if I could move farther back so I could unobtrusively get up and move around during the play.

It's good to hear how you're getting on, Sue.

My knees are now 2 years and almost 5 years old and they still get a bit stiff if I sit for too long. the stiffness wears off quickly, after I take a couple of steps. I tell myself it's because the lack of movement means that the joint hasn't been lubricated. Not sure if that's a valid reason, but it works for me. I just accept that the temporary stiffness is a very good trade-off against the awful pain I used to have before the TKRs.

I've been back to work 9 months now, I think the stiffness has come back because on holiday I did alot of walking & swimming & going to work sitting is not what I have been used to for 2 weeks. @Celle, you are right about the lubrication, feels like the knee needs WD put into it :rotfl:

It's now been a year since my RTKR, most of the time I am very happy with the results, but still getting the stiffness after sitting for more than 15 minutes. My gait is still not perfect & does cause concern with an aching hip. I have decided to go to my GP & see if I can get some help with this.
Its been really good not having the arthritic pain & being able to go for long walks without having to rest half way. I feel I have been given a new lease of life & I can now be more positive about going away on holiday or going for long walks.
Before the operation I was always negative when asked to go out anywhere I would make excuses for not going....not anymore, i'm writing my bucket list of places I want to visit. It would be nice to hear from November Nimbles 2015 to see where they are at in their recoveries.:thumb:

Good to hear that your pleased and moving on with your life!

It's good to hear how you are getting on, Sue. All-in-all, pretty good.

Both my knees (5 years and 2 years old) still get a bit stiff if I have been sitting for a while. I think it's because the lack of movement means my knees aren't getting lubricated while I'm sitting. The stiffness soon wears off once I start walking. In my mind, I imagine the walking acting like a little oil can, lubricating the joints.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you are doing. That's a great report.

I agree with what you say @Celle if I keep on the move, the knee is fine. I think I will go back to the gym & aqua zumba for the winter months as don't think I will be walking out much once the weather turns cold. Good luck for you RTKR @newlybionic it's great news.:loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back