BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL TKR] Post Op recovery day #6

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by SADD, Jan 31, 2018.

1. SADD

SADD junior member

United States United States
    So I have been doing everything the doc and this site has been telling me to do. My pain management today in a sitting position is probably a 3 and while trying to stand goes up to about a 6. Walking is in between that someplace. My husband had to go to the store and took care of all of my needs before he left but of course nature called while he was gone and I tried to do it by myself and to my amazement I did do it. I was so proud of myself. I have been up walking 3 and 4 times already today and continuing my exercises. I had chilli in the freezer I made ahead of time and we will heat that up for our Super bowl game tonight. My goal today or at least tomorrow for sure is to climb my 13 steps to our shower bathroom and get a great shower and hair wash. Monday I have to take my dressings off don't know if that will help or hinder. Hope everyone else is doing as well as can be and thinking of all of you
    SADD

• Like Like x 2
  2. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

@SADD
    Note that your recovery threads have been merged again. This is the fourth time that a moderator has had to merge your threads. Please stop creating new threads. This is your recovery thread. This is where you need to post updates. It isn't necessary to create a new thread every day. Just come back to this thread and post it here.

3. SADD

SADD junior member

So sorry, didn't know this and really don't know what the big deal is. Won't have to worry about it anymore.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Arttie

Arttie senior

If you want to experience how disjointed, nonlinear, where a person is on the recovery continuum, and difficult to follow, join some of the joint replacement groups on Facebook (I'm on 2 of them). Lots of well meaning people over there but sometimes no idea if the person is 5 hours, days, weeks, months, years PO. You get a one post snippet of the recovery and it is not easy to see previous issues and replies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. amymj

amymj member

SADD. How are you doing? Checking in on you...hope you check in again soon!

7. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

@SADD wish we could share our journey !

8. jboles

jboles graduate

Just checking to see how you’re doing @SADD I thought from your last post you were a little frustrated with how the forum works. Please don’t let it keep you from using this site, it has a lot of useful information. It just takes a while to get used to it. I hope you’re doing well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. kizzie

kizzie new member

Canada Canada
    In my country physio is a must, but after ending up in tears again at the hospital, just like I did with my first knee I decided I wasn't going and would let nature take it's course based on what I read here. And it was so much smoother and quicker this time, I think because I wasn't causing additional pain and swelling. I just did normal things (getting in and out of bed, chairs, the car, showering, getting something to eat/drink, etc - all normal daily things that are more than enough to move/work your knee imo).

I also made sure I took a lap or two around the house every 5-6 hrs (but I had one good knee) and increased that as I found it getting easier, and did a bit of flexing and heel slides but that was it really. I was able to flex and straighten so much more quickly and with less pain this time, I think because I wasn't swelling as much. I was also able to get off pain meds earlier than the last knee (I used them every 6 hours at first, with the last knee it was every 8 hrs at first).

Anyway, I've done it both ways and for me less physio and more just going slowly and doing what you normally do in a day worked best.

Hope you're doing well!

• Friendly Friendly x 1