• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Bilateral TKR Post Op recovery day #6

SADD

Country
United States United States
Had my btkr on Monday and just got home this afternoon. The block they gave me numbed me until yesterday morning and I was feeling no pain at all and then the mess hit the wall and it came hard. I was having a very difficult time with my BP being extremely Low and they said it was because of the meds so they kept having to adjust everything. then I could not urinate because my bladder was also numbed by the spinal so I had to be cath'd but after that everything started to work. they got me up walking yesterday and gotta tell you it was very hard getting out of the bed and the pain in walking was also bad. I am on Vicadine because of allergies to oxycodone and today it finally took over.

After lunch today I was doing great in PT and going to bathroom and getting a shower so they showed me how to climb stairs and I did that great so I was allowed to come home. Gotta say it is no picnic but they say each day will get better and better. The high toilet seat I bought is too high so husband gonna try to figure some thing out for me. I am on many drugs .

Gonna start my exercise first thing in the morning and do and have to at least do them 2 x a day but try for 3. I did not get staples or sutures they cemented me together and have to take that bandage off in 1 week. Rothman Institue was wonderful. Best hospital experience I ever had. Will write more tomorrow after I adjust to home life but so far so good

jboles

graduate
Country
Welcome. Glad you’re home where you can start your recovery. I have the same type incision. I hope you are able to get the toilet seat issues resolved. Take your meds, rest, ice and elevate. Someone will be along shortly with some information for you.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Glad you’re home! Best wishes for an uneventful recovery! Hang out here with us!

sistersinhim

Country
Welcome to this side of the forum. It's behind you now! Remember that you don't have to do any exercises yet. Your knee is a newborn and needs to heal before you start any PT. I will leave you our recovery articles.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

amymj

Country
Congrats, SADD! Your story is impressive! Time to relax, rest, ice, take your meds and let people spoil you! Best wishes and keep us informed!

yesyvonne

Country
Eager to hear how you are doing as days go on. I have my own first TKR ahead. Just posted about it in the pre-op section. Will be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts. May it go well!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

MSgirl

senior
Country
Welcome home! You are on the way to a new life! Remember to be gentle with yourself and also pat yourself on the back for being so brave. Not everyone could do what you did. Please keep us updated as your new life begins.

rickj

Country
Honey...your knees have been fixed. Now the healing begins.Early on I underestimated the value of elevating, it’s such a key thing!
Amymj above is wise....let someone spoil you!
Eat some of your fave comfort foods , use the meds as directed-stay ahead of the pain.
The next couple weeks will be a handful, but the mini wins will start coming. And building

Last edited:

SherrieT

senior
Country
So glad to hear from you. You're a rock star coming home so soon from BTKR!!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@SADD Welcome to the other side. Get that icing and elevating going. No need for exercising - those knees need to heal.

LuckyKY

Country
Welcome to the other side! Hope you get settled in and comfy today

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy to see you are recovering well and are home. Home is the best. You have all your stuff! Definitely let others spoil you, and remember to spoil yourself. Indulge in rest and you-time.

Roy's right. Don't overdo the exercises. It's tempting to think the more you do, the better you'll do, but that's not true. Just do a few gentle exercises when and as you see fit. Getting up and walking around is really good for you.

Bilateral knee replacements are a bit rough at first (as you've discovered) but they get better quickly and you'll be surprised at how stable they are. Yay for doing the stairs!

sistersinhim

Country
Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you will have a quicker and less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

Eeek

senior
Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Glad you are home! Now the healing begins! So impressed you did stairs.

PoetryChef

senior
Country
Ditto Roy and Susie Shoes. I am 13 weeks out of BTKR. The first few weeks are going to be rough and then better after that. I found that exercise made things so much worse. Please ice, elevate, meds on time and let your body heal. Just bathroom trips and gentle movements are enough. Your body knows what to do.

GingerP

senior
Country
Welcome home to you and I too second all those saying to do less than more.....your body is going through a trying time of healing. No extra pushing gets us there faster......we need to heal.
Bless you and those giving you love in your recovery. Little by little......

OP
OP
SADD

SADD

Country
Today was not a nice day at all....Pain was awful and couldn't do any of my exercises. I slept the entire day and could not eat a anything. Had a splitting headache and extremely sick to stomach. Finally called doctor and they were wonderful and called me right back. Adjusted my meds and added some new ones. Told me this is all normal and that it usually does get worse when you go home. Told me to do all the things everyone on here has been saying rest, elevate, ice and listen to what my body is telling me to do. I thought I would be "tough" last night and get up to go to the bathroom by myself - wrong...... I couldn't get myself up from the toilet (comical now) and was screaming for my husband. He finally heard me and was not too happy with what I did and can't blame him. My adjusted meds finally kicked in and my headache and stomach issues have corrected themselves. Hoping I have a better day tomorrow. I am thinking of it as another day down and marked off and each will now have a little goal ahead of them. Also so looking forward to why I am doing all of this to improve my quality of life and beable to take my grandbabies to parks, walks and anything I choose to do with them. I will keep you all posted as the days go by so everyone can follow my improvements and steps backs as I journey forward...It is a rough journey for sure but it so helps that all of you have been there and done that and encourage me to move forward.

Pumpkln

Country
@SADD ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dmk1234
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom