• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Post Op progress^

cvg

Country
United States United States
I had my TKR left leg on May 7, 2019. I was so afraid leading up to it but now that the surgery is passed I am glad it is finished.

I have been doing better than expected, have not had trouble sleeping at all, I am taking one hydrocodone in a 24 hour period along with Tylenol and Celebrex. (I am allergic to any other NSAIDs.) I am having my 62 staples taken out on Wednesday and I can't wait!

My issue is all of a sudden I feel like the pain is worse. For the past two days I have only used the cane and I am probably doing more. Could the switch from the walker to the cane put that much more pressure on my knee? But eeek I am feeling like all of a sudden I have come to a big halt. I thought from reading previous posts that people did have issues around 3-4 weeks but I just want to make sure I am not going backwards!

And thank you to those that were supportive before my surgery when I was so scared!

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
. For the past two days I have only used the cane and I am probably doing more
You could try going back to the walker and see if you feel better with more support, but I think the issue is the rest of your sentence, that you’re probably doing more.

This early in recovery it doesn’t take much activity to upset our knee.

I’m going to ask @Josephine to advise you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Pay special attention to the Activity Progression for TKRs.

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

sistersinhim

Country
As your knee starts to feel better you will normally do more. At your stage of healing your knee will rebel if you do too much too soon. Try just a little bit more at a time and see how your knee reacts. If it doesn't swell or hurt more, then what you did is OK. If it does wait at least a week or so and try it again. Your knee should always be your guide. Listen to it and obey it and you'll have a much happier knee.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

OP
OP
C

cvg

Country
Here I am almost 3 weeks out and I can't control swelling. I can't take NSAIDS which makes it difficult. I ice, elevate and wear TED hose but any sort of activity makes me swell. I am very interested in the targeted Cryo therapy. I have not asked my doctor about it. I am curious has anyone done any alternative things to help with swelling? There is also the NormaTec compression that seems like it would help. I actually saw it on Brooke Shields' instagram, she used it for her knee replacement recovery. It is so nice that I can come here and read everyone's post, I really appreciate it!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

OP
OP
C

cvg

Country
1. Pain level is probably around a 4.

2.Hydrocodone 10/325 1 pill every 24 hours, Tylenol 500mg every 4 hours

3. I would say moderate

4. Rom i think is around 110 the extension is the easy one I am not sure the number but I can make my leg completely straight.

5. Icing about 6 times a day

6. Elevating 70% of my day however at night when I sleep I do not elevate at all

7. Little bit of cooking, I might clean the toilet then rest, wash dishes, rest. Shopping is minimal, gone to lunch a couple times, my drive to PT is 20 minutes one way.

8. Home exercise: 8 minutes on stationary bike, full rotation, little walking squats 3 sets of 6, marches 3 sets of 12, backward leg extension 3 sets of 12, use the large ball to bend my leg while laying down 3 sets of six.
PT 2-3 times a week: All the above plus step ups on a block 3 sets of 12, PT calls it a sled, lay on it and do squats with my body as weight 3 sets of 6 with both legs and 3 sets of 4 with just my operated knee. Kind of a lunge, he says to help me get strong to stop myself in case I fall.

And FYI PT does not hurt at all, I just come home and I am very swollen. I swell up with at home exercises too.

Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
C

cvg

Country
And, does anyone use CBD oil in a moisturizer form for pain? I have a friend who swears by it.

Last edited:

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
8. Home exercise: 8 minutes on stationary bike, full rotation, little walking squats 3 sets of 6, marches 3 sets of 12, backward leg extension 3 sets of 12, use the large ball to bend my leg while laying down 3 sets of six.
PT 2-3 times a week: All the above plus step ups on a block 3 sets of 12, PT calls it a sled, lay on it and do squats with my body as weight 3 sets of 6 with both legs and 3 sets of 4 with just my operated knee. Kind of a lunge, he says to help me get strong to stop myself in case I fall.
@cvg I did ask that this be in a list. Can you rewrite it please?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Littlepower602
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom