TKR Post op LTKR pain, instability, dislocation?

There is a post from Saturday, by Jennyd, with a title starting “one year out…” where she and I discussed this.
Here is the thread Ghostpipe mentioned:

So now 12 weeks out, no freak pains in a few days. I went for a 15 minute walk and could have gone longer but wasn't dressed warm enough for our Novembers here! I had forgotten already.

Mainly I went out to make sure I could walk a straight line because I'm walking like a toddler around the house, where I can't get up to speed. Funny it seems like the knee hurts the same way in the same place as before the surgery. :what:

Last edited:
I'm 15 weeks out and doing fine, just that both knees feel stiff and stumpy for some reason. The RTKR is three years old! But it seems to chime in with the other as if I'd just had a bilateral. But overall pain is low,.

Also, at night my LTKR (new one) leg skin feels real sensitive. Any kind of pressure drives me nuts and I keep having to move it around. Pressure on the back, pressure on the sides, anything...just hypersensitive. I'm not sure if it's sciatica or more local nerves acting up.

Anyone else have this problem?

Unfortunately, most of us have had that problem. :console2:

@montanagal, I hope I finally figured out how to reply properly.
The Dr. gave me Gabapentin for restless legs, sensitivity etc..

I also put a Big Pillow under the covers at the end of the bed, to keep the sheets off my legs. That was like a Tunnel and worked.

Then for sleep issues my Dr. suggested CBD oil not with THC. He said it would help with Pain, Sleep & Inflammation. I know it has helped the sleep.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm a good four months out now, lost track of the weeks. All pain is resolved, and my skin/pressure sensitivity has let up. Sciatica is gone. I can sleep comfortably on my sides. Yay. Just have that stiff/stumpy feeling in both legs. In fact I feel stiff all over if I sit for more than ten minutes!

We have much snow on the ground so I won't go walking in it and the doctor said last time (rTKR) no skiing that first year. I understand because one can fall down in some weird positions sometimes. Not good.

So wouldn't you know, both TKRs were followed by fabulous ski seasons! with no snow two winters in between. Oh well at least I got a lot of walking in those two winters.

For now it's spin bike and weight training until spring.

Went out for a half hour walk on frozen snow and dry pavement. I had to keep the Yaktrax on the whole time. Everything went fine but I feel so stiff all over, like if I fall I'll just break all over.

I'd like to take some kind of yoga class to stretch but when I watch it on TV I think whoa I can't do that with these knees...it all looks very stressful.

Looking for ideas. I really need some sort of senior gentle exercise class but even the ones advertised that way seem like too much. Last time I took a class I had to sit out some of the poses and felt rather conspicuous. And I was in better shape back then.

@montanagal
I downhill skied at 6 months.
I know several people on the Mountain with new knees. All Doctors said knee is solid. One a month ahead of me, another 2 weeks behind me.
We all have some small pain off & on. No different than biking or walking long distance.
It has been a terrible winter, Rain. Ice, long cold spell, too warm and icy conditions. Just starting to snow.
We have a T-Bar to get out off the back of the mountain, first time I road out I got pain from knee, up quad to my Butt. Have been dealing with an IT Band issue.
Today had some pain from Icy groom run, then loaded the T-Bar and Real bad pain from Knee to Ankle.
Just about cried. Then skied down to chair lift and pain went away.
Into the Hot Tub and all is good.
I have skied a couple Double Diamond runs in soft snow and no problem.
Delayed second knee surgery so I could ski.
Good luck

My doctor said no skiing first year so that's that. Maybe it has more to do with me personally, the way I'm built--I don't know. I haven't downhilled in decades but I was still doing XC and I would fall in weird positions that might affect the knee. It just seems like asking for bad luck.

I'm not supposed to run, ever, but admit I cheated after the first knee and would jog maybe 100 ft just to see if I could. Bad bad me! But when you're old and haven't run in a long time, you wonder if you could ever move fast in an emergency.

That's my excuse anyway.

@montanagal
@Sks1997
My Surgeon was on the National Downhill Ski Team.
I wore my knees out Skiing Moguls and Double Black runs.
Took early retirement, at the end of January I will have been retired 29 years.
Skied over 100 days each season except 2. One year lack of snow 88 days. Covid cut mountain short 2020 so only 80 days.
Life is great living on the Ski Mountain in the winter.

@ski_bum That is so cool! I love that you ski at your age and have fully lived life to the fullest after retirement! So many people don’t!

But when you're old and haven't run in a long time, you wonder if you could ever move fast in an emergency.
If the zombies come, I will be the first to go as I can't run and haven't for years. :heehee:

I used to ski years ago before kids and also used to cross-country ski. It was great exercise but we eventually gave our skis away. My daughter skis now but her ski buddy moved to the UK so she needs to find someone else to go with. If you can keep it up, that's great! (next year)

@Susie-Q,
Susie you are way too young to quit skiing. Plus you live in some of the best snow & ski hill anywhere.
We have a 90 year old American skiing here in Canada. Never too old.
Ski equipment is so much better now a days.
Next season you need to do it.
Good luck

Well it seems I still have some knee pain upon waking up. I sleep on my sides most the time, pillow between knees of course, but I wonder if the leg being bent in a unfortunate way that leaves it sore.

Been six months now. I'd hate to have to sleep on my back again.

I am getting an Left leg TKR on February 20, 2023. I am also a side sleeper and have never been able to sleep on my back. Let me know if that pregnancy pillow works. I had my left leg done 10 years ago and was miserable trying to sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom