Post-op dog care question

Right Hip

Country
United States United States
I have a June 27th THR scheduled surgery and own a Chihuahua.
Should I schedule long-term care for him, or will I be able to bend over to do it myself?

I had the same question for my doctor. He told me use the golfers bend--where you raise your operated leg backwards. I have two small dogs. I don't know if that's an option for the first week, though. Especially since you usually need a walker. Would love to hear from those who have gone through it, though,

I've got a cat and dog and thought about it. I'm going to use my plant watering can to pour water into their bowl. I'll pick up food dish up my grabber and after filled I'll put that on table, sit and then put it on the floor. You'll be able to do the golfer reach while using kitchen counter to balance yourself. You'll get it figured out.

We have a dog but luckily for me, my husband was able to feed her. This is just a thought but maybe you could put the dishes up on a wooden box and that would give the dog enough room to eat and drink. You have enough time to work with him on getting up there so he/she is used to it. I definitely don’t think you need to plan long term care. Another option would be to have someone stop by each day to feed the dog - either a friend/neighbor or even a neighborhood child. You don’t indicate whether the dog needs to be walked or not as that would be a different issue but could be resolved with someone stopping by several times a day. The dog should be good company for you when you get home. Sending positive wishes your way...

Bending to feed and water should be OK after the first week or so. If you have posterior you can golfers bend, if anterior that's not recommended. Everyone's dog is different and you really have to watch that they don't get underfoot.

You might think about arranging for boarding for a week or so. That way you can get home and decide when you're ready to take care of your pooch. You can always have a friend take you to get the dog early if you're ready.

Evening @Right Hip. This round with lefty I'll have to board my dog and cat for 4-5days. Right now it's the best plan, I don't like it. If I can get them feed, out to potty in two days that's my first goal.

I am still researching ways of best getting through the dog issues...
Amazon has these:

If you can get someone to come in once in a while...these tools might help.

Hey Right Hip :hi:
Stopping by to wish you all the best tomorrow.
I hope you get some sleep this evening and are feeling at peace and ready to roll in the morning.
It's your big day to say bye-bye to hip pain. :yay:
Will look forward to seeing you on the Recovery side.
@Right Hip

Sending you all the best and see you on the recovery side!:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties