BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Post-op dog care question

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Right Hip, May 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM.

1. Right Hip

Right Hip new member

United States United States
    I have a June 27th THR scheduled surgery and own a Chihuahua.
    Should I schedule long-term care for him, or will I be able to bend over to do it myself?

2. Mersada

Mersada member

I had the same question for my doctor. He told me use the golfers bend--where you raise your operated leg backwards. I have two small dogs. I don't know if that's an option for the first week, though. Especially since you usually need a walker. Would love to hear from those who have gone through it, though,

3. julesglass

julesglass senior

I've got a cat and dog and thought about it. I'm going to use my plant watering can to pour water into their bowl. I'll pick up food dish up my grabber and after filled I'll put that on table, sit and then put it on the floor. You'll be able to do the golfer reach while using kitchen counter to balance yourself. You'll get it figured out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

We have a dog but luckily for me, my husband was able to feed her. This is just a thought but maybe you could put the dishes up on a wooden box and that would give the dog enough room to eat and drink. You have enough time to work with him on getting up there so he/she is used to it. I definitely don’t think you need to plan long term care. Another option would be to have someone stop by each day to feed the dog - either a friend/neighbor or even a neighborhood child. You don’t indicate whether the dog needs to be walked or not as that would be a different issue but could be resolved with someone stopping by several times a day. The dog should be good company for you when you get home. Sending positive wishes your way...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Bending to feed and water should be OK after the first week or so. If you have posterior you can golfers bend, if anterior that's not recommended. Everyone's dog is different and you really have to watch that they don't get underfoot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You might think about arranging for boarding for a week or so. That way you can get home and decide when you're ready to take care of your pooch. You can always have a friend take you to get the dog early if you're ready.

7. julesglass

julesglass senior

Evening @Right Hip. This round with lefty I'll have to board my dog and cat for 4-5days. Right now it's the best plan, I don't like it. If I can get them feed, out to potty in two days that's my first goal.