PKR Post op day 2 partial knee

hikertina

Country
United States United States
I had a left partial knee replacement 2 days ago (medial compartment)

Post op issues have been pain, fever, fatigue, etc. I am taking the Oxycodone and Acetaminophen regularly

Today is a bit better. I live alone so have to move around

Hello and Welcome to recovery. I'm sorry you're struggling with pain, fever and fatigue, but all are fairly common. Keep taking the meds on schedule, resting and icing, its the best you can do at this point. I will leave the Recovery Guidelines which contain a lot of useful information. Stop back often so we're able to support you on the journey.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome @hikertina! Thanks for starting a recovery thread.

The symptoms you describe are normal for two-days post op, so please be concerned. I found that icing and elevating -- along with taking my medications on time -- were a huge help in getting me through the first few weeks.

You'll find lots of good information in the articles that Layla shared with you and I'm sure other members will stop by to share their recovery stories. If you'd like to connect with others who had their knee replacements in September, you can find a list with links here:

Hello seatides and fellow knee recovery team members,

Today is also Post op day 4 (feels like day 40 sometimes)
Left partial knee replacement- medial compartment

I am doing pretty good overall. Hardest thing is isolation and being alone. I hired a private caregiver to help but ended up telling her not to come back. She was too high maintenance and causing me more stress.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated

I’m sorry your hired help didn’t work out and you were wise to let her go if she was causing you stress. The first weeks are tough. Can you call or text friends so that you don’t feel so alone? Is anyone stopping by to check on you?

By the way, I moved your newest post to your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery keep their questions in their own thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your questions in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

@hikertina, I was alone almost all the time during my recovery, too. I had downloaded lots of books to my Kindle, but couldn't concentrate enough to read. I found myself on Bonesmart almost half of my time. I got to know those that had their surgery during the same month that I did and we would comfort each other. We'd celebrate our little successes and encourage our setbacks. I made some friends that I am still friendly with.

Besides being here, I had a house, yard, and cats to take care of and of course, myself. Those things were very time-consuming because I was so slow and had to take lots of breaks and naps. Stupid, silly TV shows helped to keep the house from being too quiet.

Post op day 6 today
I am doing pretty good. A couple of lessons learned. Living alone has been harder post op than I imagined. I was honest today and told some work friends I am struggling with the isolation. As a result, I should be getting a few visits.

Also my orthopedic team had a huge multi modal approach to pain management. All the usuals were there - oxycodone, acetaminophen, icing, etc

They sent me home with a TENS unit as well and I put that back on today. I have found it to be very helpful. It does seem to rewire the pain felt. I am also curious to see if it will aide healing.

I am listening to my body and resting when I need to rest and sleep. Knee exercises I do daily but do not push

Hi @hikertina - I'm glad your work friends are planning visits. Just the idea of a visit can be uplifting. Visits can also tired you out so be clear when you've had enough. Hang in there, it does get better.

Question
I am post op day 9
Left partial knee replacement

My walking is pretty good, I don’t need an assistive device. My flexion and extension are apparently amazing. I did very little to push the first week and just allowed myself to rest.

Having weird numbness or parathesias in entire leg. Also neuropathy symptoms in toes. I had some sciatica symptoms before surgery but never like this. Walking and stretching always helped. Certainly have been doing very little of that for 9 days, Is this common due to prolonged time on my back or is it more nerve and surgery related?

I think you should let your doctor know. It's probably normal, but it doesn't hurt to have it checked out, just in case.

Happy one month an-Knee-versary, @hikertina !

How are you doing this week? Has the numbness you posted about a few weeks back improved?

I am doing amazing!
Not sure if it is because it is partial but my recovery has been way ahead of schedule. I have completely met ROM goals

Working now on strength and endurance. I walked on a damaged knee for almost 3 years and knew I had severe imbalance and compensation issues. Really did not have a choice at the time. Now trying to overcome those is very challenging

Great news! Your recovery is amazing because that’s how your body is responding, and your surgeon must be really good at your procedure, it has nothing to do with having a partial. (Many partials don’t recover well, probably mostly because of lack of experience of the surgeon.)

Keep in mind you are early in the process and still recovering from major surgery. Don’t push too fast becasue youre doing so well now, sometimes that can backfire.

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:

Thank you
Interesting to know that about partials. I did have a very talented surgeon. I work in the same health system so was aware of his reputation and experience

@hikertina

Hello,

It is very encouraging to know that your recovery is quick and successful. Had a similar experience except that I had 2 bad knees, and as with you, I was compensating and trying alternate ways to relief the pain for years before deciding on having PKR. Obviously it got to the point where I knew it's time to do it. So had my first PKR on June 8, 2022 on my right knee which was my real bad one, and my second PKR on October 5, 2022 on my left knee. Yes, had lots of pain in both cases for about 3-4 weeks post PKR, especially at night, I guess it's part of the recovery process which is not painless.

Currently doing well on both, religiously going to my PT 3 times a week, as well as doing self PT on the off days. Hope to be able to start being as active as I was before my 2 PKRs (toned down a bit) by spring time.

Wishing you a speedy full recovery.

@Frenchi
Love hearing you are also doing well and progressing. We can both celebrate when back doing what we love and being active again

And yes to that darn night time pain. Was definitely a challenge there at times

@hikertina

When I had my first PKR on my right knee, it took approximately 6-8 weeks before I had a good night sleep. I would suspect that it will be the same with my left PKR, so I got about 2 more weeks of sleepless night, and that goes by in a blink. :)

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope you're feeling stronger and steadier on your feet month by month.
Best wishes for a happy holiday season!
@hikertina

Post op week 9 today
I went back to work at 6 weeks and everything is going very well.

Compression stockings have been super helpful in going back to work

I have also paced appropriately. I don’t hesitate to go to bed early. Easy when it gets dark at 5.

Hi hikertina,
It sounds as though you're doing well, thanks for updating! Returning to work at six weeks post op is pretty ambitious. It's good you're getting to bed early to help build back your strength and stamina.
Wishing you a happy holiday season!
@hikertina

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties