BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Post op complications^

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by smatsmax, Jun 4, 2019.

1. smatsmax

smatsmax new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi
    First time poster, hoping someone can help, we are at a loss what to do for mum now.

She had a TKR nearly 6 weeks ago, which went ok and she was doing well until she fell one night. She had a huge spasm/cramp. She lost her confidence completely. She had it xrayed and all is fine, they just said its soft tissue damage and to carry on with exercises etc.

She had a few more big cramps and got to the point where she wouldn't even stand up to pee, which is when we had to call an ambulance. She is now in an awful NHS hospital, with limited staff, hardly any physios, and scared to even move. Have tried to find a private rehab place locally and there just aren't any apart from a nursing home.

The cramps and spasms are the main problem. She has been on Baclofen for a few days but still had one spasm so not sure if it's working.

Has anyone else had crippling spasms?

She doesn't have much muscle tone as shes been compensating for the bad knee for years, and we're wondering if that's contributing to the spasms.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel I can offer her? She is so down and depressed, and we're all so worried about her.

TIA

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart.

I’m sorry this has happened to your mum. Recovery is difficult enough without additional complications that totally shake your confidence.
    To be honest, at this point she doesn’t need a lot of physio, just walking will be very good for her, and not to excess. Does she have a walker? That might give her some confidence, and someone to walk beside her. I’m sure a fall is very scary.

I am going to tag @Josephine
    our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'll bet she is!
    Of course it is. No drug can quell this completely.
    I would doubt it.

I suggest you take a look at this article from the Mayo Clinic.
    And here's one from the NHS
    And here's another that looks more technical

4. Alloyssius

Alloyssius junior member

I went through very similar issues with cramps and spasms to the point I was sleeping no more than 45 minutes at a time.

Tried about everything and ate more bananas than I care to remember.
    Several medications but nothing seemed to work.

Hard to admit but a friend sent 1000MG CBD lotion. I was reluctant to try and after 10 days finally put some on my quads at 2:00AM.

Surprisingly after 15 minutes it seemed to work although I had to reapply every 90 minutes the first night

Second night about every 2-21/2 hours and finally every 4 hours.

Then once before bed. Now use occasionally and whether it’s placebo or not I frankly don’t care.

Not sure if you have access but it’s worth a short

You can read my posts and the wonderful help I received on this site

Be Well

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. smatsmax

smatsmax new member

Wow, guys thanks so much for the info.
    Thanks jockette
    She has a frame, she was walking on crutches even after the fall, but another spasm whilst on them and I managed to catch her so she didn't fall, but it set her back again dear of her.
    She has to have two people with her to move so she is safe. But just not making much progress either. She's really down and I feel helpless. Thanks for your warm welcome.

Josephine
    Thankyou, lots of great info in those links. I need to Google the drugs they mention.
    Great to have some more things to push for and try. Thank you so much.

Alloyssius
    We did have a small pot of cbd cream in the early days, but I guess we didn't have enough to see if it worked. I will definitely give it a go. Many thanks.

6. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Lots of us had a kind of quad weakness after the tkr where the knee would seem to buckle out of the blue-I did--but I can't say I had spasms that interfered with walking.
    I guess all I can say as far as encouragement is to continue with the frame and assistance and try to do a little bit every day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

In this recovery the healing progress is extremely slow. It’s takes a average of a full year to fully recover.

I think a frame/walker would offer her much more support. I have never used crutches and never want to, I’m sure I’d hurt myself with them. I really liked my walker.

Hugs to to your mum! :console2:

• Like Like x 1
  8. lisabl

lisabl member

Have you thought of a walker with a seat? If she feels her leg is starting to shake she can sit before she falls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. smatsmax

smatsmax new member

Thanks everyone

We have the 6 week follow up with surgeon tomorrow, and our minds have gone blank. Obviously we'll ask about cramps but he's already said he doesn't know why she's getting them , any other questions we should ask?

10. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

No particular questions I can think of other than as you say, what to do about the spasms.

But do tell your mom we send her best wishes. Just keep trying and don't get discouraged. 6 weeks is early.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @smatsmax
    This must be such a worry for you. With encouragement and support, your mother should regain her confidence slowly. She will be safer using a walker than using crutches.

Do let us know what her surgeon says, won't you?

Please will you tell us the date your mother had her knee replacement, and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for her?

12. winemama

winemama member

I agree with CBD cream.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  13. Alloyssius

Alloyssius junior member

Most of the “over the counter” CBD IS 250mg. My friend had some blended at 1000mg and while I’ve never tried the lower dose the blend she sent worked well.

I did put on liberally and it took 15 minutes to take full effect.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Benay

Benay senior

I'm so sorry for your mom and hoping some of the great advice here will do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  15. smatsmax

smatsmax new member

Thanks everyone

Mum didn't make it the appointment, they tried to get her in a wheelchair but she couldn't do it. So my brother and I went and had a productive appointment, he is visiting her tomorrow and we'll look at getting her back into the private hospital.
    She's so very very anxious, it's worrying. She is scared to go to the toilet, just managing to stand for a bed pan, and then panicking about getting in and out of bed. She has been using a leg lifter but now can't seem to manage that.
    Anyone have any tips on getting in and out of bed?

She had her op on 25th April and it's her right knee. Surgeon kept the patella just shaped it.

Thanks for all your support it really helps

16. smatsmax

smatsmax new member

I have enquired about some non-THC CBD products - 1000mg dose and some edibles - from what looks like a reputable company. Hopefully they can recommend the best products for her.
    I'm guessing it's going to help with the anxiety as well as pain relief?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  17. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree that your mum would benefit from a walker with a seat. That's what I had. It adds to the security of being able to sit down when and if she needs to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

It may not do much for the anxiety. You'll just have to see. But many people do report pain relief or at least improvements with these products. The ones applied externally should not be an issue for your mother, but treat anything that is ingested like you would any supplement and let her primary doctor know she is taking it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. smatsmax

smatsmax new member

Mum's fear is getting worse, she's so scared to move, she's not walking. Terrified of physio. Still having the odd spasm.
    She's just not handling this at all..
    She got a 70 ish degree bend with consultant on Friday and cried happy tears, now she's back to being so negative.
    I am absolutely done In by all this now, I just don't know what to do for the best for her....
    Has anyone actually gone crazy from a knee op?

20. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

I work in a residential home and we often have people in for respite and convalesence care.
    Often being around elderly and similarly mobile restricted people is company. Everything is adapted to people feeling vulnerable with 24/7 care too.
    It helps people back onto their feet without being a hospital. The focus being to live your best life.
    Maybe your mum would benefit too. Sounds like it's confidence she needs and TLC not anything particularly medical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1