Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR Post Op -Buttocks Pain<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Hi, new memb here. Need you opinions please. I'm 2 weeks post op (TLHR). I just noticed that since yesterday I'm experiencing severe pain in my left buttock. I don't know what's going on since from the time I was discharge from the hospital, all went well. Is this a sign that there's a prob with the replacement done to me? :( Is it normal? Is this a sign of dislocation? It's really making me crazy.

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Ayhen I don't think so. My glutes hurt, my groin hurt, and I still get some butt pain when I overdo during the day and then do alot of sitting. They move that stuff about getting to that hip.
How much moving about have you been doing? Are you icing often?
Many members complain about pain in the rear! Early days for you.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Why did you have to have your hip replaced? What procedure did you have...anterior? posterior?

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
As of now, I'm trying to walk without any support. From the time I was discharged from the hospital I'm already using only a cane as my support. I always try to do exercises specially walking and stretching but yesterday pain in my buttock started and I feel it specially when I'm just lying straight in my bed.

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Why did you have to have your hip replaced? What procedure did you have...anterior? posterior?
Year 2015, I was diagnosed to have ITP (idiopathic trombocytopenic porpura) where I take steroid as my med and earlier this year, I was then diagnosed to have avascular necrosis in my both hips. I have undergone left THR and core decompression also for my right leg.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I seriously think you may be overdoing it. That hip needs support for a while. It got taken out and a new one was put in along with a new stem put in for support that needs time for bone to affix to it. Your butt muscle is trying to help you support it but it needs a break. Mine hurt lying straight down also. A pillow under my knees helped some and if you can get ice on your rear that will probably help.
As young as you are, it is natural you will want to hurry things up...but I think you should help your hip/leg get better if you will stay with some support a while longer and rest it much more. Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should. I know it's hard at so young but you will get better faster if you take it easy. Don't worry:friends:
Also...

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Thank you so much for this. Maybe you're right. And I really admit that I want to be healed too fast. :( I want to show to everyone that I'm strong enough for this. But now, it just giving me more pain.

Thanks a lot Ma'am. I will take your advice :)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oops, we crossed posts so I see now about your problem that led to surgery. You certainly have had a hard time but I'm guessing this new hip is gonna change your life for the good. You sound like a tough lady and younger folks aren't the only ones that are impatient to get on with recovery and back to life. Recovery can be boring...so just know if you let that surgery trauma heal, you can then get back to being strong and healthy and happy. We want that hip to last you a long time so it needs a good start. :yahoo:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Josephine is our medical expert and she has alot of orthopedic experience. If you wish for any specific medical advice you can tag her by using the @ symbol just before her name. You can tag anyone the same way to alert them.
Like this @Josephine.
Bet she has some good advice for you.

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Thank you Ma'am @Mojo333 for this. Now I feel much better than earlier. LoL :D .. I admit, it really makes me feel so bored now since I'm just here at home... nothing more to do unlike before. Been on leave at work for 2months now and still counting. . Just hoping that everything will be fine after this.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
See that works well.
I took it super easy for a month, just walking, gentle stretching...and was back to work part-time at 4 weeks. Everyone is different so your body will tell you when. I had both hips replaced May 1 and now I am about to go work a full day walking pain free. Will check on you later...lots of support here. Check out how much I whined when I first had mine done by looking at my recovery thread and others.
The ones who did the best were the patient ones!!!!
Smile, it's gonna get there.:SUNsmile:

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Yes.. :) thankful enough that I was able to look for this site. It's really a great help for me. I'll be patient with what I'm doing and with what I want to happen. Now I realized that it will be more difficult to recover if I still insist to do it in a rush way. :yay:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@Ayhen Here is some things you can read while you are trying to be good.:heehee: These are things this forum promotes for healthy recovery. On my way now, but will check in on you often. Lots if folks to help here.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be preparedfor it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Don't know how familiar you are, I am kind of technologically inept, but if you touch on the blue parts it gives you extra information about particular subject.

Cas

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
hi there and:welome:to the forum. Don't worry you are fine. The butt ache can be a nuisance but it will get better. This forum is brill for getting answers and advice. At 2 weeks I was still on 2 sticks and sleeping a lot. Your poor hip has been through a lot and needs to rest and get better so listen to it. You will find that you might get other aches elsewhere but if you're worried just come on here and ask - everyone is so helpful. Keep smiling. do some reading or craftwork or puzzles or just chill. Hope you feel better soon.

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Thanks a lot for this Ma'am :) It gives me more idea about my recovery (the dos' and dont's)

I really don't need to push it too hard to recover as fast as I want. And I'll have and idea on how can I ease the pain specially when I'm just relaxing. I never read it in some sites that I visited. LoL :heehee:..

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
hi there and:welome:to the forum. Don't worry you are fine. The butt ache can be a nuisance but it will get better. This forum is brill for getting answers and advice. At 2 weeks I was still on 2 sticks and sleeping a lot. Your poor hip has been through a lot and needs to rest and get better so listen to it. You will find that you might get other aches elsewhere but if you're worried just come on here and ask - everyone is so helpful. Keep smiling. do some reading or craftwork or puzzles or just chill. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you Ma'am.. Before I really been here, it makes me paranoid -thinking what's goin on with my butt since I never experience it before. I'm fine with the pain in my legs specially every morning but the pain in my buttock is not normal for me. Good enough I found this sight to answer all my questions :) i'm pushing it too hard to recover immediately without thinking that it will just then be a reason for me to be in pain too much. I just really need to relax, take recovery slowly as it should be and just do the dos and donts.

Susan209

graduate
Country
Australia Australia
Hi @Ayhen and welcome to BS.
Glad you have found some answers.
I'm yet to get my new hip, but like you, I think the hard part for me will be taking it easy and being patient.
Continued good recovery for you.

OP
OP
Ayhen

Ayhen

Country
Philippines Philippines
Thank you so much Ma'am.. we just really need to be patient during our recovery, no matter how we like it to be quick. Hoping for you to be fine also. This site is really a big help for us :)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey pretty lady with the new hip.
Glad at least you aren't so worried even though you probably still have pain.
Hope you have support from family and your new bonesmart family is here for you.
People from all over the world here to give great advice and just be a place you could express concerns.
Hope tomorrow is a better day.
I'm tired and my rear hurts a little from sitting too long. Sympathy pains maybe?:hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKR. 2019
Recent bookmarks