Hip Arthroscopy Post-op blues after arthroscopy

Wilko411

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m 7wks post hip arthroscopy for labral tear & cam impingement. I’ve not been able to stop crying the past week! I’m so lucky that I have a very supportive husband but that just makes me feel more guilty for feeling like this!
I’ve been doing ok, sticking to my regime & now off crutches. Intermittent bone pain but I guess that’s to be expected?
I’m seeing a nhs physio every fortnight & I think week 6 is what did it. Despite telling me I’m walking well & my quads are strong; my ROM is still tight...I took this as a failure. Now each morning I wake with a sense of dread in my tummy, cry & get angry for having the op. I’m seeing a private physio tomorrow as I fear my muscles are a bit stuck ... I just want this fear & sense of dread to go

Hi @Wilko411
Sorry you have the post op blues and are anxious about your recovery. :console2:
I remember you from your thread and know you were looking for answers to your hip issues.
I have seen many members who have undergone arthroscopic procedures relate that perhaps the recovery time was not what they expected or led to believe.
I don't know if you've been doing home PT in between - but at just over one month out, I have to believe these are still early days for healing.
Would like to paste this post in a post op thread that you could start or we could help you with so you can get some feedback from other members who have undergone the same procedure and leave some helpful information for you on your own thread.
Postop blues at one month out is very common so you are not alone.
I do Hope your private PT assesses where you are and doesn't try to progress too quickly.

@Wilko411 So sorry you have the blues. All a part of this recovery I am afraid. But with time and a bit of patience this will ease.

Please do not let PT push you. It is still very early days at only 7 weeks out. That stiffness will ease when all the internal swelling decreases. Meanwhile are you icing for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day?

Thanks @Mojo333 and @Jaycey for your support. Any help would be appreciated.
I’ve unfortunately read so many negative reports about my procedure that I just automatically assume the worst! I % trust my surgeon & he did say it will be 6-9mths so I know 7wks is early. I unfortunately compare myself to others at the same stage!
I am doing rehab at home but it’s very gentle. I’ve not yet returned to work but started driving this week. I can ride the static bike (no resistance) with no pain either...I am continuing to ice; especially after rehab.

@Wilko411 I've started a recovery thread for you and moved your recent posts to it. You will get lots of support from our member on this thread. Please keep all your updates and questions here so that we have your recovery history in one place if we need to advise you.
I trust my surgeon & he did say it will be 6-9mths so I know 7wks is early.
Yes, at least 6-9 months - maybe a year. Very early days!

I'll leave your recovery reading list here for you to refer to if needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hang in there, friend.:yes:
. I unfortunately compare myself to others at the same stage!
This is just not helpful, as you know, and your hip and the exact work done is different even if described as same procedure.
There are phases of healing and physical progressions that have timelines attached, but it is certainly not a one size fits all.
You don't want to assume you are at a certain phase of recovery without listening to your body.
Common pitfalls during phase I include excessive weight bearing, pushing through pain with exercises and rapid progression of exercise volume and intensity.
Sending healing mojo your way and try to relax and give yourself a break from worry.

Thanks @Mojo333 i think my issue is when discharged I was given my rehab booklet of home exercises . It’s in stages 0-3, 4-8, 8-12 and 12-16 (if that makes sense).
I’m very OCD & methodical (my job I think) so when I went for my 6wk physio (more like a checkup as don’t do any exercise) I was given some more week 4 work.....it just muddles with my brain of “well you should be here” EG book says I can start cycling after 2wks; I started 4wks!
I’m odd I know

Not odd, very normal, in my opinion.
I do think that the reality vs expectations throws us all for a loop sometimes.
Here's my favorite recovery chart..:giggle:
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

:heehee: This always makes me laugh because it is soooo true. I am one of the “not according to plan” people so let me reassure you, like others have, that you will get there. The hardest thing is to have patience and be good to yourself. I had a THR but then 3 weeks ago an arthroscopy on the same hip. Now at 9 months, guess what? I’m finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel but my arthroscopic doc said to still expect 3-4 months to fully recover and I didn’t have the extensive work you did. I’ve learned to be totally okay with yet another “wait” because it is worth it in the end. Hang in there. We all understand and are here to support you. Blessings and keep us posted.

Hi @Hip4life thanks for your words of encouragement & support. I knew from the get go this would be a long recovery. I certainly didn’t expect to be symptom free yet....I’m just grumpy!

hopefully my private physio appt tomorrow will ease some of my concerns. So far I’ve had no manual therapy & think a good massage/trigger release or whatever they do might assist

sorry to see you required further surgery!!

I had psoas tendinitis that was very stubborn to everything we threw at it. So the doc specializing in hip arthroscopy completely released it in less than 30 minutes outpatient and now I’m doing great. My point: it requires patience, perseverance, and plenty of self-care with a little humor thrown in along the way. It’s okay to be grumpy and have a little pity party now and then but don’t compare yourself to ANYONE. Celebrate your everyday victories and before long, you’ll be feeling more like yourself again. We’re here for you. ❤️

Good evening , I have been where you are , I had hip arthroscopy on my right hip to fix a labral tear and an impingement in July of 2018 it was such a hard recovery and I too suffered from post op blues :boohoo:i agree with @Hip4life and @Mojo333 you can't compare your recovery to others because we all heal differently . I unfortunately didn't heal right and had to have my hip replaced on 4/2/19 and now just like hip4life I'm going in on 12/31/19 for yet another arthroscopic surgery on the right hip again this time for psoas release:cry:im scared to death because I remember my last scope and it was painful (hip replacement surgery was a breeze comparitively) but this time around I'm going to not compare my recovery to others and I will be very patient so I can heal properly , you will get through this just give yourself time and know that there are a lot of great people on this forum who have some of the best advice and words of encouragement , don't know what I would have done these past 8 months without them :friends:

Thanks @Ryesgma for your encouragement & sorry to see you go thru another op. I’ve taken the decision not to ask why you needed a THR after scope as it will just worry me; if that makes sense.

Hi there :hi: Thanks for joining us here!
I hope the weekend is starting off well for you, way over yonder across the pond. I'm just catching up on your thread and noticed you've already received some good advice and solid support. I'm wondering if you'd please share the exact date of your surgery below? The info will be applied as your signature. Its really helpful to those stopping by to offer encouragement to have that date readily available so they don't have to search for how far along you are.
I thank you in advance and wish you a great afternooon, evening and weekend! :)
@Wilko411

I’ve been to a private physio today who explained my surgery details ref the bone healing & the muscles/nerves etc having to be moved. She had me standing on 1 leg & squats; this caused no pain. I explained how my hip didn’t feel like it belonged to me & she said that’s completely normal.
She then did an exam & can see why I can’t do some of my rehab stretches (primarily getting my foot on my knee as requested by my nhs physio). My muscles are tight & I’ve built some scar tissue too, so she spend time doing trigger point massage....ouch but felt lovely afterwards.

another thing I’ve wondered ref my blues/anxiety ..prior to the op I was on 8xdihydrocodeine a day & I’ve cut that to 4??? I could be withdrawal? I’ll discuss with my GP.

Thanks again everyone:thankyou:

No apologies necessary. Thanks for the info!
Enjoy the day :)

Oops, silly me :blush: I forgot to ask which hip?
That info will be applied to your signature also if you could please leave it below.

Not sure if you made it through the Recovery Guidelines but there is an article on Post Op Blues that I'll include for you to read if you haven't already -

Just know that it's temporary. It may feel like cold comfort but many have dealt with it and it slowly melts away. Brighter days are in your future! :SUNsmile:
@Wilko411

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back