Lounge Doctor

THR Post op aids

siobhan

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi all just wondering if any of u have advice re post op aids. What's worth getting ie I know raised toilet seat good but what else.
Thanks in advance.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @siobhan
I gave you these articles in one of your other threads. Did you find them?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

I don't think you need to buy everything that's recommended. I managed with something to help elevate my leg, plenty of frozen gel packs for icing my leg, a grabber for picking up things I had dropped, and a solid bar to help me get up from the toilet.

I used an old dogs' lead or a dressing gown belt to help me lift my operated leg back into bed.

I'm sure most people found the raised toilet seat very helpful, too.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I used a bedside type commode that set right over the top of the regular commode in the house. I tried one of those raised donuts with handles on the side and it didn't work well. For me the must have was an icing machine that circulated ice water to a pad.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Having ice ready was also the key for me. I had ice packs ... and a cold therapy machine that I used.

The article link has all the good advice. Also calling friends for help is great. I told certain friends that I wanted to go for walks in my recovery, and they followed through after surgery. I also told some friends that it would be a big help if they brought food to me on a couple of days. That definitely helped. You might purchase extra items that you know you will need--during recovery, errands can be exhausting. I bought extra soap, toothpaste, mouthwash ... everything I could think of ... I bought extra ahead of time.

Last edited:

Woodstockhip

Country
The articles cited above are very helpful. In no particular order, here's my list:

—The commode chair with arms that fits over the regular toilet was critical.
—The reachy-grabby thing because I am *always* dropping stuff. I hang mine on my walker, so it’s always at hand.
—A notepad to keep track of your meds (you think you'll remember but nah-uh!).
—Something to carry your phone around in, cos it’s never in the same room you are in.
—ICE ICE ICE. I alternated a couple of big ice packs but lots of folks swear by the machine.
—More pillows than you can possibly imagine needing.
—Lotion for elbows and heels, because you use them as propulsion devices around the bed and they get sore.
—A yoga belt, for hauling the log leg up into bed the first couple of days. A regular scarf or belt works, too.
—Cell phone charger near your nest and one near your bed.
and...most importantly, THIS FORUM!!!!!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
My nest was my recliner and the area around it.
I also needed some help with constipation, common concern with surgery and pain meds side effects.
I had to have hubby shop for laxative and get supplies of stool softeners along with some foods friendly to this issue.
Talking him through the grocery store when I was two days post op was stressful.
Wishing I'd have thought of it pre-op and got them myself.:nah:
Some other pre-op thoughts...
  • Tape down rug corners and electrical cords and make sure walkways are clear.
  • Place regularly used items at arm-level.
  • Pre-fill any prescriptions you may need after surgery.
  • Follow your pre-operative instructions.
  • Begin doing exercises to strengthen your upper body and the leg that is not having surgery

Ozinthedesert

Country
My large ice packs have been the best purchase I made. I rotate them all day long. Magazines helped distract me and gave me something to flick through. My vision was a bit blurry from the meds the first couple days and magazines were the better than trying to read my book. The surgery center gave me a belt to help lift my leg and that has been invaluable. Best of luck!

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
All the suggestions above are excellent. I didn’t buy the grabby thing for picking up things I dropped because I had my husband here. I did have a dressing stick I got on Amazon and that was quite helpful when getting dressed or undressed. Making meals ahead and freezing them is good as it’s a few days before you really feel up to doing that. I got a pack of high protein Ensure and drank a can each day those first few days. I had read appetites aren’t always there initially and I wanted to be sure I got the nutrition I needed. I made a bag for my walker so I could carry anything I needed with me. They are easy to find on Etsy if you don’t sew. Even a small bicycle basket would work just as well. Ice is essential and the gel ones conform well to the area where you need them. Sending well wishes your way....

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GeeDee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom