Lounge Doctor

THR Post Op 8 days and a painful problem

Prpldy

Country
United States United States
I am so sorry that I have not been around. Just prior to surgery (Oct 5, 2021) or after. Was busy getting life in order and recouping.

I had my RTHR on Oct 5th. Was doing fabulous. My Sister who had been a CHNA on the joint floor of her hospital retired 3 years ago. She took me for surgery, brought me home and stayed with me until Oct 11th when I was doing wonderful, very low pain, etc.

Then around 2:30am this morning (Oct 13) I stood from my recliner (had to have a bm) with help from my walker and immediately…….
it felt like a horrible charlie horse/cramp in my R hip. My leg was 2-3 inches shorter and pain was unbearable, and diarrhea gushed out of me. There was nothing I could do.

I had not moved, so I sat back down. As best I could while being in horrible pain. Called and woke my Sister. She picked my other Sister along the way as she knew she would need help. They cleaned me up, called 911 and was taken to hospital where procedure was done the week before.

pain was excruciating and like nothing I had ever felt before. No meds the hospital gave me touched the pain. That is until xray confirmed dislocation and they proceded to put hip back into the socket, first knocking me out. Thank the Lord.

I woke still in pain, but at a level I can deal with. I am back home, but terrified this will happen again. I had been very careful not to twist, over bend, etc. I never walked without support, I was taking all of the precautions. I don’t know why this happened.

I return to surgeon tomorrow to have staples removed.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
Sorry to hear of your pain and this scare.

I might suggest you call your surgeon's office before the appointment to alert them that you need to talk about the episode that sent you to the ER.

Might help the surgeon reserve more time for you. Clearly you want to focus on the hospitalization, not just the staples.

Good luck.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I’m so sorry you had to endure the pain and I imagine some humiliation in all that happened. It sounds like you have two wonderfully loving and attentive sisters.

I would call the office to make sure you will be able to speak to your surgeon about the dislocation when you go to have staples removed. When I went to my first appt at three weeks post op, my surgeon’s PA removed my bandage and gave me the “all clear”. I didn’t see my surgeon until I was three months post op. Unless you know for sure your surgeon will be present, I’d check with the office in the morning to confirm that he will make an appearance. You need to talk to him about the dislocation and hopefully gain some reassurance so you’re not living in fear of it happening again. Please let us know how it goes.
I hope you have a peaceful evening.
@Prpldy

OP
OP
Prpldy

Prpldy

Country
@Going4fun @Layla
Thank you both for caring and your concern.
I only now saw these messages. But I did see my surgeon. I went to my scheduled appointment (Oct 14. @ 9:20am) which was given to me by the ortho office on paper. When we arrived, the receptionist stated my appoint was for 4 days later (Oct 18 @ 8:40am). My Sister proceded to tell her that this was the day and time I was given, and that I had been in the ER the morning before for dislocation. Her response in a mater of fact tone was; “so you fell?”

NO! I did NOT fall! was my response. Anyhow, my Sister who knows and has worked with all of the doctors at my Ortho Office, spoke with someone. They took 4 xrays to make sure hip was in the socket. I saw the surgeon. He told me it came out from behind (which he said was rare) and that if it happened again, hoping it does not, that he would have to do surgery to place another liner in the socket. He also said that this happens on average 2 in every 200 cases.
After surgery and before the dislocation, I had been having muscle spasms in that leg. I had called to see if I could take muscle relaxers to help ease the spasms. He said NO! Not sure if they would have helped, but all I had done was stand, hip/leg spasmed, and out it came, and leg was immediately 3 inches shorter.
It is not my first THR, and with the first I had no issues. This one has been a problem from the beginning, and hoping it is all behind me. I have always been very careful and followed orders with every surgery (20 total) that I have ever had. I was no different this time. N bending, no twisting, etc. guess I was the lucky, or is it…. Not so lucky one.
I am very thankfully for my two Sisters, whom did not hesitate to rush over to help me (I am the youngest) in the wee hours of the morning. They knew what happened (they could see it) and am so glad they did not tell me. I would have freaked out I am sure. They went to the hospital nearly an hour away, waited for hours and thanfully were able to bring me home. It was a very long morning as we did not leave the hospital until nearly noon.

OP
OP
Prpldy

Prpldy

Country
I need some advice. I want to write the ambulance service who got me to the ER. I reallly need to hear what you think.

As above, my Sisters cleaned me up because the ex-CNA knew the EMTs wouldn’t, nor would the ER staff (she worked at that hospital for 11 years on the joint floor). She would have to clean patients that came in via the ER that had something similar to me happen, and by that time (8 or more hours have passed) it would be dried on their skin and at time caused irritation. She did not want that for me.
The EMT sad “why didn’t she call 2 hours ago?” My Sister explained about cleaning me up first. The they wanted took me by some type of chair through m house to the gurney. I only weigh 134 lbs and they took me down 4 steps, bump by bump instead of lifting me down. Then they expected me to transfer from the chair to the gurney by myself. W H A T !!! I couldn’t move the right leg, I had no control. It was dislocated severely. It was a horrible, horrible experience (one I hope I can forget). I live in a rural/small town area and there are many different routes to that hospital. It felt as though they took the route with the roughest roads. The EMT, 2 males, had no care or compassion whatsoever.

I was telling my friend of the experience and she believes it was the same two gentleman who had to help her 88 yr old friend, whom was unable to walk, had extremely swollen legs, and more and told her to get on the gurney.
My friend said “she can’t walk, much less stand, you have to move her!”

Do you think I should report my experience to the ambulance service? They had NO compassion, were very rough, and I do not believe they should treat anyone, I mean anyone…. They way they treated me.

I would hate for another person (no matter the age, race, sex, injury, etc) should be treated so disrespectfully, made to transfer themselves (isn’t that their job?), or handled so roughly, when there was no call for it. I did not weigh 300 lbs.! I was not dancing around prior! But I was in pain, unable to walk, muchless shimmy myself from chair to gurney.

Would you report the EMTs?

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Prpldy Yes, if I were you, I would write to the ambulance company to complain about this substandard care!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
So sorry to read of your dislocation....:console2:
Please report the EMTs as there are liabilities on the ambulance service and they cannot fix something they aren't aware of.

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I wouldn't hesitate to report this very poor, potentially dangerous, management of a patient in extremis. Serious need for retraining or redundancy for people clearly not up to the job!
Hope you're feeling much better now.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I agree that it should be reported, if for no other reason to stop it from happening to another person in an emergency situation. I’m sure they’ll be warned, or disciplined, for their attitude and inadequacies.

You generously called them “gentlemen” which obviously they were not.
I‘m sorry you had to experience this in the midst of the pain and anxiety associated with the dislocation. I hope you’re doing better and I wish you a peaceful relaxing weekend. :)
@Prpldy

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Susanbear
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom