Hip Arthroscopy Possibly tore my hip labrum again,more painful

Maria_17

Country
United States United States
Hi, I had hip arthroscopy December 6, 2019 I’m about 3 months almost 4 Post op. and I’ve been doing all my exercises and not missed a PT appt.

My pain has been worse than ever and cannot sleep lots of the time comfortable and have to keep moving positions. My hip mainly feels achy,headache,a little bit of stabbing, or pinching either one. But also stiff a lot and having to move my leg. I recently have been getting a sharp stabbing pain in groin and used to back of the knee when I take a step most the time and have been getting exhausted quickly.

Surgeon says MRIs look great and made a appt for me to get the steroid injection.

At therapy I know someone who had the same surgery with the same doctor around the same time and we both do mostly different things. I use the stationary bike where I’m more leaned back and she uses the bike where it’s more of a regular stationary bike and she asked me if I wanted to use the one she had bcs using the one I use hurts her and I said yeah it hurts me too a little but my pt quickly said I have to use that one I was told to, this was about last week.

Before surgery and my whole hip pain I always had knee pain for 2 years maybe. They always were painful so I thought it was my knees. They both pop really loud and one knee can pop consecutively if I bend knee over and over. Even to this day I will have knee pain and also in the back of my knee is a recent pain that occurred but my knees feel congested or like a headache and I feel like I need to pop them and when I do sometimes they do feel better most the times others mainly one of them more achy then the other.

I’m very athletic I used to play soccer but had to stop because of surgery and recovery and thought I would be recovering better. Before surgery I was told I should recover quickly and good but my surgeon looked confused on why I couldn’t go far when bringing knee to chest.

At PT I mainly do the same things which is usually my exercises I do at home. My PT barely started massaging my thigh near incisions but my thigh was very sensitive but I went through it and next day was more stinging feeling and burning feeling on skin. They use the ESTEM on me with ice on top after most appt which I go to PT 2x a week and most the time it feels good after but pain comes back fast and leaves whenever but mainly stays most the time and walking helps or moving but too much walking or sitting is irritating. I can only walk for about 6 min tops then can’t anymore.

Sitting in class is very hard and Ice at school hurts top of skin cause of the sensitivity, burning and numbness still But not with the EStem I don’t feel it. This was long I’ve never typed out about this but please HELPPPPPPPL

So sorry to hear of your pain. I bet an administrator will be along shortly to post recovery protocol (ice, elevate, medicate and rest) and others in similar situations will offer you sound advice. In the meantime, I am only 8 days post TLHR, but this site will be your saving grace. I have learnt to listen to my body and not Physios. Even my OS said I should only do what I can and ignore any advice to "push through" or do anything out of my comfort zone. Sending you hugs and hoping for some resolution.

:hi: @Maria_17 and :welome: to the forum.
I am very sorry to hear you have to deal with recovering from hip surgery...and school:groan:
What was the arthrospcopy actually for - the diagnosis for your hip pain - and which hip did you have done?
Did you have restrictions about bearing weight afterwards?

When I add up the time from when you had your surgery, you are only 2 1/2 months post op so these are very early days and recovery from hip arthroscopy, as I've seen on the forum, can be long and often more painful than replacement, so keep the faith.
I don't know exactly what was done, or how long you have been doing PT and back to school, but healing is still happening and it seems like all the activity is aggravating it.
I'm going to leave you our recovery guidelines ...they mention hip replacement but generally all apply to hip surgeries in general.
I hope you are able to just kick back and baby that hip whenever possible and using ice definitely helps!:ice:
Just put a towel or something between it and your skin.
Because you are so young, I imagine it is hard to spend a lot of time just chilling, but I bet it will help when you can ..
Big healing hugs coming your way :loveshwr:

Here are the guidelines I mentioned.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Maria_17 Welcome to BoneSmart! If you stop all that PT and exercise and just focus on icing and elevation does this pain ease? Sounds like you are doing way too much and that hip is complaining. This is major surgery and I'm afraid there is no rushing recovery.

Please keep us updated.

:hi: @Maria_17 and :welome: to the forum.
I am very sorry to hear you have to deal with recovering from hip surgery...and school:groan:
What was the arthrospcopy actually for - the diagnosis for your hip pain - and which hip did you have done?
Did you have restrictions about bearing weight afterwards?

When I add up the time from when you had your surgery, you are only 2 1/2 months post op so these are very early days and recovery from hip arthroscopy, as I've seen on the forum, can be long and often more painful than replacement, so keep the faith.
I don't know exactly what was done, or how long you have been doing PT and back to school, but healing is still happening and it seems like all the activity is aggravating it.
I'm going to leave you our recovery guidelines ...they mention hip replacement but generally all apply to hip surgeries in general.
I hope you are able to just kick back and baby that hip whenever possible and using ice definitely helps!:ice:
Just put a towel or something between it and your skin.
Because you are so young, I imagine it is hard to spend a lot of time just chilling, but I bet it will help when you can ..
Big healing hugs coming your way :loveshwr:
@Jobaby Thank you so much for replying I’m new to this and still trying to get used to this. Anyways they said I had a hip labrum tear on my left hip but I was just confused bcs for years it was always my knees or one more than the other. But yeah school is very difficult sitting hurts even for a little bit of time but I can’t just get up when teacher is teaching important things or etc...but I do what I can and walking just gets painful more fast and each step is a stabbing feeling like pinching, I’m bad at explaining pain sorry. But yes I don’t have anymore appts at the moment because of insurance reason so idk how long it’s gonna take to get more appts but in the meantime I will be icing and elevating, but since I am forced to go up some stairs my other hip gets tired so sometimes I’ll try to just go up sitting down but it’s just a lot of time and effort and energy that I haven’t had much energy lately. Even though I used to be very active and have full ride scholarships for college soccer next year but not sure if I’ll be able to except them or if they will still offer it if the time comes and I’m still not recovered. But I just thought not missing exercises and PT would be better for recovery, but I gotta rest up. School isn’t helping much but I gotta stay caught up since school is already hard enough. If my PT says to keep doing an exercise but it hurts me and I tell her than it hurts she says if it’s tolerable then keep going or she’ll keep massaging even after my leg is really numb and tingling or burning feeling on skin while massaging. I am not taking any pain medication Amd ibuprofen or Tylenol does not help me and after awhile made my stomach hurt really bad Bcs doctor said to take the ibuprofen and Tylenol and switch every four hours with them but they never worked. But is it okay if I have pain but it’s tolerable to keep going? Cause they make me do some squats and clamshells but I get pain but tolerable most times.

@Jaycey thank you as well for replying I honestly thought I was gonna get no response or a month or more later response so thank you as well. I will start resting more from everything and see how that feels but the pain mainly isn’t there when I get back from school then lay down for a little I do have to move a little bit and pop my knees because they feel achy and stiff and just feeling like I need to pop it so I do and left one usually can pop twice and right once but then left knee can pop over and over whenbent and extended and so forth..

Last edited:
@Maria_17 Are you in High School? and 17 years old? Do you have a parent that is involved with your recovery? I would think school and the PT would work with you if another spoke for you. I had my first hip operation at 14yo and the school worked with my parents to provide a tutor as I was non weight bearing and the school was a distance away.

@Maria_17
My heart breaks for you, realising your age and all that you are going through. I agree with Eman85 advice above. Sending hugs from down under.

@Maria_17 Are you in High School? and 17 years old? Do you have a parent that is involved with your recovery? I would think school and the PT would work with you if another spoke for you. I had my first hip operation at 14yo and the school worked with my parents to provide a tutor as I was non weight bearing and the school was a distance away.
@Eman85 yes I barely turned 17 and in high school. And I mainly do everything with my recovery since my dad doesn’t speak much English so it’s hard so I just try to do everything and I’ve been used to doing things this way and just let him know when my PT appts are so he knows where I’m at but that’s it pretty much. At home he helps me a lot with things that don’t involve insurance doctors or any of that kinda stuff. And yeah i have talked to my counselor awhile ago when I was out of school for awhile and went to talk to her but she said the tutores are limited in what they do so if I wanna do that then online school would probably be better. The only thing is that with me I’m very social and like to talk and move around even if it’s a little bit with my hip and all haha but it’s harder for me personally to understand what I’m being taught through like a computer or a device, I just take longer to get to it and honestly my Spanish is probably better than my English so some teachers already try to help me out a little bit more with that sometimes if I ask a question about an assignment or etc..

But is it okay if I have pain but it’s tolerable to keep going? Cause they make me do some squats and clamshells but I get pain but tolerable most times.
PT should never hurt. Squats and clamshells are very hard on that hip. Just remember you are not in training - you are healing from major surgery. There will be time for building strength once that hip is healed.

Hello and Happy Friday!
My heart goes out to you, sweetie, as it seems you're navigating this somewhat on your own. Have you considered stepping away from PT for a while...resting, icing and elevating as your schedule permits? It may be the best option for a time. In addition, do you think it would be helpful if you used a cane, or crutch while accessing stairs at school, or getting a temporary pass from the office to leave your classes five minutes before everyone else so you can use stairs while others aren't around?

You may want to consider online classes for a short time until you find it easier to get around school without struggling and experiencing the level of pain you describe. Possibly you could utilize social media, or visits from friends to temporarily fill your needs for human contact and companionship. It seems you're spinning your wheels currently, not really getting anywhere and sadly what you're doing doesn't seem to be working, or bringing you the relief you've hoped for. That tells me it's time to switch it up and try something new.

Please know we're here for you and we care. We'll try to help you any time you reach out so please don't hesitate to stop by here with any / all questions. There is no shortage of kind people here with experience in many things hip related willing to try and advise you to the best of their ability.

Wishing you comfort, healing and a peaceful weekend. Hugs! :friends:
@Maria_17

Many times Dr.'s and PT's aren't the best listeners and I would say it's even more so when they deal with a minor. Is there a chance you could find someone with good communication skills that could help you? I know your father wants the best for you just like my parents wanted for me, but honestly they had no idea what the Dr was talking about and would have gone along with anything as the Dr. was educated, and they weren't.

It feels like it’s getting worse or re tore left hip labrum from when I had a hip arthroscopy dec. 6. Today i was sitting in one of my classes around 10:30am maybe and working on an assignment when my groin all of a sudden feels a stabbing pinching pain and I felt like I couldn’t move it for a min then I finally moved it but I couldn’t move it much bcs movement hurt so then after about 2-3 min it stopped and I walked the halls a little and the major pain left and i thought I was fine again but I was still a little nervous so I got ice and used it during lunch but didn’t help throughout the day it got worse just now when I walk it usually always feels not good and painful also when I was just standing Thats when I started to feel the burning sensation and that's been one of the pains as well as behind my knee and sometimes feeling of something shooting down my leg but down my thigh and skipping my knee And down my shin. Or just down my thigh on the top but more to the left. I called my doctors team but since it’s Friday they said they will have someone call me Monday but I just Im scared of all this waiting. I don’t know what to do and pain just is more present then before and worse. Turns out at PT they were rushing me with exercises and exercises that I shouldn’t be doing yet but when I said I had pain while doing it they would say if it’s tolerable keep going but if you can’t do anymore don’t. But this was my first time so I thought I had to push through the pain since I could tolerate it but I rested all yesterday and today all this happened. I don’t know what I should do it’s just very stressful. And also my feet have always been really cold or get cold really fast I’m not sure if that’s normal but they just are usually always cold even with socks and a blanket. But just my left hip the injured one that leg I can feel the blood going though my leg.

Hi Maria,
My best advice would be to take it easy this weekend, icing all areas of discomfort for 45-60 minutes, no less, several times per day. Even the areas of your knee that you've expressed are painful at times. I hope you have ice packs and you're willing to try that. If you don't have any see if you can purchase a few gel packs at a nearby pharmacy so you can re-use them.

Unless your stomach is still bothering you, perhaps you'd obtain some relief through over the counter pain relievers for a few days. I'd also recommend you stop PT and all exercising for several weeks to see if you notice a difference in your level of pain. Try lots of rest, icing and minimal activity for the weekend and see if it helps. Following is an article on ICING -
I'd also use a cane for support while you're dealing with the pain you've described. Hopefully your surgeon or his care team will have something to offer on Monday.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort.

You say you've spoken with your counselor, but it didn't sound like she was offering much help. Do you have a teacher or perhaps one of your soccer coaches you could turn to? You need an advocate to help you navigate the doctors and recovery from your surgery.

Please also don't hesitate to ask questions here or to tell us what is going on. We'll try to help. It's important to realize that you aren't going to pop back from your surgery in a couple of months. It will take a while. Please do stop pushing yourself, though. That is counter productive and trying to push when it hurts will slow your recovery even more. Jaycey's suggestion to stop all the PT and just do walking daily as it's comfortable for at least a couple of weeks should reduce your pain levels.

I hope you can get back in to see your surgeon as I think he (or she) needs to know what's going on.

@Maria_17 I'm sorry you are in pain and so worried and stressed.. and it always seems to happen right before a weekend.
Layla gave you some very good suggestions and I agree with everything she suggested.
Hopefully you just have some swelling from the physical therapy and it's creating some pressure in the hip joint, especially if you were sitting for a while in class, too.
So the ice could help with that along with rest. I know, a boring way to spend the weekend but I'm guessing that you may just feel relief, after a short amount of time, which would be a big relief for you mentally, too.
Try to remember, you are in charge with your exercises, if it hurts or even if your leg begins to feel fatigued, stop and resume it another day. Many of us struggled with knowing how much was too much or too little.
But remember:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

:flwrysmile: Try not to worry and just enjoy a lazy weekend... hugs!

Turns out at PT they were rushing me with exercises and exercises that I shouldn’t be doing yet but when I said I had pain while doing it they would say if it’s tolerable keep going but if you can’t do anymore don’t. But this was my first time so I thought I had to push through the pain since I could tolerate it but I rested all yesterday and today all this happened.
You don't ever have to push through the pain.
Hips don't really need a lot of exercise - they're good at healing themselves.

As CricketHip said, have yourself a lazy weekend and see if that helps.

You could try icing your hip again, too.

@Maria_17 As others have said sitting and relaxing all weekend until you hear from your Dr. is the best thing. I know for an active 17 year old that's not fun, easy or what you want to hear. Much easier for me now as an old man to accept this but I remember what being young and having hip problems was like.
Is there someone in your family,church or community that you can speak with and have them work with you?

Hello @Maria_17
I'm sorry you are suffering through this. I know it can be very unsettling as my daughter dealt with something similar at age 15. Below is what I posted regarding her situation 2 years ago. We did do the procedure and it has been successful including full return to activities. I asked my daughter if she was still uncomfortable 3 months out and she said she was. She did not have knee issues though. My experience with PT is that some of it should make you uncomfortable but not necessarily in pain. For me the upright stationary bike was more comfortable then the recumbent.
My daughter is available to talk directly if you are interested.
Stay positive and hang in there.
D

"My daughter has been battling hip pain for slightly over a year. Originally brought on we thought from a soccer fall/injury. We have gone through the standard regimen of PT, X-Rays, MRI w/out contrast, more PT, MRI w/contrast which finally culminated in a diagnosis today of a labral tear due to FAI (Femoro-Acetabular Impingement)... The OS (same one who did my THR) is recommending arthroscopy to remove the impingement and repair the labrum. Anyone have experience with this on young teenagers? Was the outcome positive, how long was the recovery, what questions should I be asking, etc?... I'm concerned about this taking place at such an early age and if it will contribute/lead to arthritis down the road...

It warms my heart to see genuinely kind hearted caring men reaching out to help a young person who is struggling and seeking advice / counsel.
So very sweet @Eman85 and @dapplega
Thanks for your input and insight.
Many blessings to you both....have a great weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom