THR Possible hip infection

Jrees1

Country
United States United States
I am 2 years out from hip replacement surgery. I got a dental cleaning and forgot to take my anti biotic. Now I’m spooked about infection. My buttocks and the outside of my leg have become tender. Might just be power of suggestion. My Ortho Drs office said my pain would be in the groin area. Any suggestions. I have a scheduled x-ray in February.

@Jrees1 Welcome to BoneSmart! The issue of needing antibiotics for simple dental treatments like cleaning has changed drastically in recent years. Most doctors no longer have this requirement. I asked my family doctor, my surgeon and my dentist about this several times and the answer was always no antibiotics for minor treatments.

In any case the chances of you getting an infection from having a dental cleaning very remote.

The pain you are describing sounds more like muscle pain to me. Have you started any new activities lately?

Here's an article from our Library that might help ease you mind. Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

Sitting at length possibly

Hello @Jrees1 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Forgetting to take antibiotics prior to dental work is unlikely to have caused an infection in your hip.
For one thing, as Jaycey said, it is no longer recommended to routinely have dental work done under prophylactic antibiotic cover.

For another, the infecting organism in your mouth (Streptococcus Viridans) is not likely to cause an infection in your new joint. While, in some rare cases, it can cause an infection of the lining of your heart, it is rarely implicated in joint infections.

i have been on BoneSmart for 8 years and I have yet to see a replaced joint that was infected by this bacterium.

This article lists the causative organisms in joint infections and Strep. Viridans doesn't even get a mention:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2755118/

December 4 of 2017. To go with this I did have oral cancer treatments in 2018. Radiation and chemo. I am recovered from that, but I guess my resistance could still be low.

You are unlikely to have developed a hip infection.

Believe I’m not a hypochondriac just haven’t been real health lucky lately. I will update after my xrays in February. Thanks for the responses.

Believe I’m not a hypochondriac just haven’t been real health lucky lately
Of course not.
And I know I got anxious about many things after my hip replacements.
Hard to know what to be worried about and especially if you have other issues going on...Googling was especially concerning.:unsure:

Hope you have a better week...good vibes coming your way.

My xrays for my right hip came out fine. The Doctor told me if I was going to get infection it probably would be immediate.
P.S. He told me my left hip is bone on bone. I sort of figured that.

Hello :wave: Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us here!
It sounds like you received good news and the reassurance you were seeking. It's good to hear all looks well on your x-ray.
I'm sorry to hear your Left hip is bone on bone. Please know we'll be here for you when the time comes for Lefty. Let us know when you get it scheduled. Until next time...all the best to you!
@Jrees1

Good news! Well, at least about righty. Lefty may keep you here on the forum for a while longer and we would love to have you here!

Great news!!! Glad to got the xray and you can get that worry off your mind!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom