• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Possible hip infection

Jrees1

Country
United States United States
I am 2 years out from hip replacement surgery. I got a dental cleaning and forgot to take my anti biotic. Now I’m spooked about infection. My buttocks and the outside of my leg have become tender. Might just be power of suggestion. My Ortho Drs office said my pain would be in the groin area. Any suggestions. I have a scheduled x-ray in February.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Jrees1 Welcome to BoneSmart! The issue of needing antibiotics for simple dental treatments like cleaning has changed drastically in recent years. Most doctors no longer have this requirement. I asked my family doctor, my surgeon and my dentist about this several times and the answer was always no antibiotics for minor treatments.

In any case the chances of you getting an infection from having a dental cleaning very remote.

The pain you are describing sounds more like muscle pain to me. Have you started any new activities lately?

Here's an article from our Library that might help ease you mind. Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

OP
OP
J

Jrees1

Country
Sitting at length possibly

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Jrees1 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Forgetting to take antibiotics prior to dental work is unlikely to have caused an infection in your hip.
For one thing, as Jaycey said, it is no longer recommended to routinely have dental work done under prophylactic antibiotic cover.

For another, the infecting organism in your mouth (Streptococcus Viridans) is not likely to cause an infection in your new joint. While, in some rare cases, it can cause an infection of the lining of your heart, it is rarely implicated in joint infections.

i have been on BoneSmart for 8 years and I have yet to see a replaced joint that was infected by this bacterium.

This article lists the causative organisms in joint infections and Strep. Viridans doesn't even get a mention:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2755118/

OP
OP
J

Jrees1

Country
December 4 of 2017. To go with this I did have oral cancer treatments in 2018. Radiation and chemo. I am recovered from that, but I guess my resistance could still be low.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You are unlikely to have developed a hip infection.

OP
OP
J

Jrees1

Country
Believe I’m not a hypochondriac just haven’t been real health lucky lately. I will update after my xrays in February. Thanks for the responses.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Believe I’m not a hypochondriac just haven’t been real health lucky lately
Of course not.
And I know I got anxious about many things after my hip replacements.
Hard to know what to be worried about and especially if you have other issues going on...Googling was especially concerning.:unsure:

Hope you have a better week...good vibes coming your way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
chica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom