Possible AVN in both shoulders...need advice!

Poisonbutterfly

Country
United States United States
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first time posting. I'll start at the beginning. I was walking my dog one day and she jerked me and I hurt my right knee. I had an MRI done and they diagnosed me the AVN. Fast forward a few months and I started noticing the same pain but in my left knee. Had an x-ray an confirmed that I know had AVN in my left knee. I've seen an orthopedic surgeon and he performed a bilateral TKR. I'm now going on 2 years post op. I have started noticing pain in my right shoulder about 8 months or more. Now, I have the same pain in my left shoulder. The pain is so bad that it makes it near to impossible to sleep, since I sleep on my sides. The pain has continued to get worse to the point it hurts to even breathe at times. I am scheduled to have x-rays on both shoulders tomorrow. I'm so scared that they are going to tell me that I have AVN in both my shoulders. Can anyone tell me what symptoms that you experienced from AVN of the shoulders. Also, has anyone had this in one joint like your knee, and then got it in a separate joint such as your shoulders, hip, etc? I'm just looking for any advice that you can give me.

@Poisonbutterfly Welcome to BoneSmart :flwrysmile:I am not aware of anyone who had AVN in their shoulders but there might be folks I do not know.. Hopefully the x-rays tomorrow will answer your questions. Whether the problem is AVN, arthritis, or something else, please let us know and what your doctor recommends. For what it's worth I found shoulder replacement surgery much easier than hip replacement primarily because shoulder is not weight bearing. Any surgery is tough of course. And if problems in your shoulders do need surgery they would not do both at once like they did your knees or my hips. Shoulder surgery most often means the arm is in a sling and strapped down for about 6 weeks... and then begins the PT portion of healing.

@Poisonbutterfly
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

Sorry to hear you are having pain with your shoulders. Do you have a history of steroid use for other medical problems?

Let us know what your doctor says tomorrow.

@Poisonbutterfly - when I first started having hip problems, it presented much like AVN. In the couple of weeks before MRI and getting results, I did lots of research on AVN. It's been a while, but I think it did mention ball and socket joints like shoulders being particularly susceptible to AVN. I would not twist yourself into too much of a knot, though, until you're able to get some specific medical advice.

Good luck with the xrays and let us know how you're doing!

@Poisonbutterfly So sorry you are facing shoulder surgery. My colleague @Celle is just days from having her surgery. I've tagged her so she can come and chat here.

Hi @Poisonbutterfly
I'm afraid I don't know a lot about AVN in the shoulders., but I've read that it can affect the upper end of the humerus.
I hope the X-Rays show if you have it or not. Do let us know what your surgeon says, won't you?

I am a bit nervous about my shoulder replacement, but I'm looking forward to not having the constant pain.
I've also had both my knees replaced and I'm hoping that my shoulder recovery will be a little easier.

By the way, if you'll tell us the date of your bilateral TKRs, we can put that in your signature.

I don't know that we've had anyone on the forum with AVN in their shoulders, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. My question would be the same one as Pumpkln.....have you taken oral steroid treatments in the past? Studies have shown some correlation with the development of AVN with these treatments. I'm hoping that you've received information on your shoulders by now and I look forward to hearing from you.

Suggest X-raying the cervical spine (neck) for pinched nerves, that can cause shoulder pain in both shoulders.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts