• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR "Popping" hip after nearly three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickji

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This question is partly covered in the hip noises thread, but I'd appreciate any information on my specific problem. I had a R. side THR almost three years ago (hello anyone who remembers me) in India. Was very seriously ill in a totally unrelated incident for the following 18 months or so and the muscle in the R hip are now quite wasted, especially the ITB - the femur seems to be directly under the skin with no muscle cushion. That's the background. The problem is that a few times a year - perhaps six on average, when lifting the foot up (onto a chair to apply cream, or such like action), the whole area suddenly feels very vulnerable and as I bring the leg down straight I get a disturbing and very powerful popping, klunking sound - completely painless, but quite scary. Have not had any examination or follow up since the op and have no other serious problems other than occasional feeling of tiredness or mild weakness in the leg. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Hello, Nicki. Good to see you again. Would you be kind enough to make your age and gender show? I like to know who I am talking to! A location would be nice too.

This popping isn't so strange, in fact, you've explained it all yourself in saying that your muscles are all weak and have little or no substance.

The crucial thing about a hip joint is that it is dependent upon the muscles around it to keep it stable and tightly shut into the socket. This is the primary reason for exercises afterwards because in the pre-op period when the hip was deteriorating and you couldn't be as active as usual, the muscles quickly lost tone and strength.

But due to your circumstances, you've never been able to get your muscles strength back as a result of which, your hip is slack and loose.

Now your hip joint's nice soft cartilage has been replaced with metal and hard plastic (or whatever) which naturally make a noise when they come together. Try tapping a spoon on the kitchen worktop and see what I mean. That's all this noise is.

If you want to make it stop, I'm afraid the answer is exercises to improve those muscles and tighten everything up.

Hi, Nicki.....it's nice to hear from you again. I hope you are able to concentrate on some exercises for a while. You have that nice new hip joint and you need to be able to enjoy it to the fullest!

So....what have you been up to???

Hallo, Nick,

I'm no expert on mysterious noises emanating from the replaced hip area, but if Jo says there is little cause for concern then there probably isn't. If you find it scary and worrying, then I feel you ought to take it back to the original surgeon if possible, and seek reassurance there. In the meantime try to find some knowledgeable person who can help you to rediscover these muscles that have gone absent without leave. Then there is a choice for you. Either try to get by as you are or face up to some very hard work to try to rebuild the absent muscle and ligament structure.

You don't say whether you are a grandad. If so, and if you could learn to produce your noise to order, think what a tactical advantage this would bring you. Most grandchildren are hardened to the teeth trick, where the grandparent unobtrusively removes teeth and contorts face into a form even more hideous than the usual well toothed face, but think how they will react to a grandad who can produce loud clonking noises from midway up the body.

But I know you are worried and you have every right to be, so forgive me if I seem to be taking your troubles too lightly. If it were I who had the clonk, I wouldn't like it one bit.

All the best, Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads