Guest viewing is limited

PKR PoorlyKnees’ road to recovery

Congrats on your fourth place win in the competition over last weekend! That's awesome!
Best Wishes for encouraging / satisfying feedback from your PT on Thursday.
A great week to you!
@PoorlyKnees
 
May 11th: The End of the Beginning?
“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning” - Winston Churchill.

Physio…..ver!
I had my 5th physio appointment, as planned. I’ve been working really hard doing all the exercises he recommended to stimulate my quads and glutes, so I was delighted when he was clearly surprised by the range of motion I could achieve.

Gold Star
He was impressed with the confidence I had doing the wall squats and the absence of any limp or bias when I walked.

It Ain’t Over Yet
He’s given me more exercises to perform to continue with the muscle development and I will embrace these with my usual enthusiasm.

The End of the Beginning
The final conversation we had related to my other knee which is pretty painful due to arthritis on the medial surfaces. He said “speak to the surgeon” So, I’m going to put the work in and meet with the surgeon on June 1st to see when I can get tgg he e other knee done.
 
May 18th: 11 Weeks Post Op
It’s back to work for me! I can’t avoid it any longer. I do landscaping, garden maintenance and decorating so I spend a lot of my time on my feet.

Love my New Knee
The first day was a bit of a challenge but I am amazed at how quickly my new knee has adapted. I have no pain from my new knee at all.

On My Knees
I even found myself kneeling to do some work. I hadn’t even noticed until I decided to stand up.
 
That is amazing! You are doing incredibly well.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all continues to go well for you. Stay safe and have a wonderful Summer!
@PoorlyKnees
 
June 1st: 3 Month Anniversary
Yes, 3 months have passed since I had my PKR. I had my final catch up with my surgeon.
How did it go?
He was very happy with my progress and his enthusiasm and positivity about both the robotically assisted procedure and the results makes me feel very fortunate.
Looking back
I’d been anticipating knee replacement surgery for 12 years but was consistently advised to wait for as long as possible. I felt that the time was right.
And the results?
I could not be happier with the results. The arthritic pain has gone; mobility and range of motion is almost completely restored; the numbness around the joint has reduced to an area about the diameter of a hen’s egg; my leg is straighter and the joint feels far more stable.
So what happens next?
I have an MRI booked for the right knee. I will (hopefully) be having a similar PKR later this year.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Let us know if you get, Righty, scheduled and if so...hopefully you'll share your journey with us once again.
A great rest of the weekend to you!
@PoorlyKnees
 
March 1st - Left knee 1 year post surgery
It’s hard to believe that a whole year has passed since the partial replacement of my left knee. So much has happened and the journey is not yet over. I appreciate that every knee is different (the recovery after my right knee replacement was entirely different) and people’s approach to recovery can differ greatly, but this is my story.

My full history and the events following my surgery can be found in earlier blogs. This article is aimed at those considering knee replacement surgery or anyone in the early stages of recovery when everyday feels like a battle… please read on.

So how has it been…?
Recovery was slow initially, because the muscles around the joint were so weak, but under the direction of my physio I pushed and got the joint working. Once my confidence had been restored I went from strength to strength and I now have full range of motion and am now able to do anything I want and I have NO PAIN. What does that mean…?

Working…?
I’m a landscaper by trade; I’m self employed and work on my own. I am able to complete ALL the work required which includes a lot of digging and lifting. I’m able to climb ladders without any concern and am happy to be on my feet all day.

What do you do when not working…?
I like to maintain my physical fitness and I regularly hit the road on my mountain bike. I ride an 8.5 mile circuit with a few challenging climbs. My first attempt post-op took 54 minutes… my normal time now is between 37 and 40 minutes. Last week I beat my own fastest time which I set long before the arthritis set in.

What else do you do…?
If the weather prevents me from getting out on my bike I do HIIT routines. These are 25 minute routines with NO breaks. They are designed to test both fitness and stamina. Basically 25 minutes of squats, jumping jacks and lunges.

And at the weekend…?
My wife and I enjoy walking and usually fit in at least 1 walk across the countryside at the weekend that is usually between 6 and 8 miles.

So what’s next…?
If started some gentle running. I have not been able to run since I was 20 years old, I’m 59 later this year

So was it worth it…?
Definitely. There are any number of nightmare tales of ongoing issues and loss of mobility but I have one simple statement the justifies any challenges during early recovery…. I HAVE NO PAIN, no matter what I throw at it. If you are considering knee replacement surgery and are worried about the process, don’t be afraid. With the right pain management and regular ice compression you will get through it.

Positively life changing!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] PoorlyKnees’ road to recovery
    IMG_5850.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 40
That is a really great report!
Go easy with the running though. I can run very short stints ( for a train etc) but I tried some gentle jogging for cardio work and my year+ knee still didn't like it.
You are younger and much fitter than me- so may be fine. Just listen to your knee and Good Luck!
 
That is a really great report!
Go easy with the running though. I can run very short stints ( for a train etc) but I tried some gentle jogging for cardio work and my year+ knee still didn't like it.
You are younger and much fitter than me- so may be fine. Just listen to your knee and Good Luck!
Yes, it’s very much a “Couch to 5K” approach; walk 30 seconds, run 10 seconds. I have to be mindful of my right knee, he’s only 8 months old. It’s such an exciting sensation to have strength and control in my left knee. I feel like Forrest Gump!
 
Wonderful news! I can't believe its been a year already either.
Happy One Year Anniversary, Lefty!
Thanks for taking the time to leave such an inspiring update.
@PoorlyKnees
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom