THR Police officer has a THA

user138

Country
United States United States
Well guys, I had surgery today. The Dr said it was a great success. With how bad my hip was loaded with bone Spurs, he was baffled at how I functioned and told me that if I can deal with that pain, I will power through recovery with no problems. I completed the basic pt with no problems, eventhough I feel like a nerd with my walker.

Ill tell you what though: Day 1 is no joke. The pain is severe and I can barely move my leg because it’s so swollen. I’m hoping it gets better every day like the doctor said, but the best part is -NO stabbing, grinding, sharp pain from my diseased hip.

@chickenlady everyone gets scared. I’ve finally resigned to the fact that no one is perfect and sometimes we all need help. It finally took the dysfunction of my hip to finally outweigh the fear of having it done. I hope maybe reading that will help you.

and thank you to everyone who commented for your kind words. They really helped me a lot.

@user138,
:welome: to the Recovery Forum!
Glad your surgery is behind you and you can start healing.
Ice and elevation will help with your swelling.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

You'll notice that I have copied your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

:wave:@user138
Glad to see you on the Healing Side.
These are definitely the hard days so try to just roll with it as it is all temporary...
Hopefully they have your pain fairly well managed and everyone is being kind to you.

Healing vibes coming your way.

Congrats! Woohoo, you’re on the healing side. Instead of the pain and misery of a deteriorating hip, you’ll be feeling stronger and steadier on your feet week by week. Sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Hopefully the meds have taken effect and you’re able to get some restorative rest. Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
@user138

Congrats!!!!! Stay on top of the pain medication schedule--that's key.

And lots of icing.

Beautiful words you write about deciding to go forward with the surgery!

Woohoo, congrats on the shiny new hip and joining us on the recovery side! :yes!: While the first days can be rough it does get better. For me the first two weeks were the worst but after that everything kind of leveled out.

Hey guys going into day 3 here. Sleeping hasn’t been great and I’m in a lot of pain. I finding myself having to scoot to the end of my bed to get in an out of it and by the time I push myself out, I’m winded. The dr doesn’t want me doing anything like leg lifts or heel slides in bed and I can’t move my leg laterally to get out of bed. Is any of this normal?

Hey guys going into day 3 here. Sleeping hasn’t been great and I’m in a lot of pain. I finding myself having to scoot to the end of my bed to get in an out of it and by the time I push myself out, I’m winded. The dr doesn’t want me doing anything like leg lifts or heel slides in bed and I can’t move my leg laterally to get out of bed. Is any of this normal?

edit: I also feel like I have the absolute worst Charlie horse in the history of the world that is completely immobilizing my leg

Hi @user138
The infamous "Log Leg":sad: that alot of we new hippys experienced, but I, for one, hadn't expected it so it freaked me out that my mind didn't seem able to control my legs.
Thankfully, as a bilateral, one was more affected so I had a leg to stand on.:) :-) (:
My recliner was my bed for the first weeks as it did exhaust me getting up and down, mostly with husband's help for first week. All Temporary, thankfully.
It is probably easier if you sleep on the side of the hed that has your op leg to the outside. Keep your walker close and use a lifter or helper to raise your op leg.
  • Back up until you feel the bed against the back of your legs.
  • Place your surgical leg forward.
  • Reach back for the bed surface, lowering yourself slowly to the edge.
  • Scoot back on the bed in a diagonal direction until your knees feel supported.
  • As you turn your body to get into bed, you may need to use a leg lifter or someone to help lift your surgical leg.
  • When getting out of bed, come to a sitting position on the bed.
  • As you turn your body to get out of bed, you may need to use a leg lifter or someone to help move your surgical leg.
  • Lean back as you push with your hands to help move your body forward until you are sitting at the edge of the bed.
  • Place your surgical leg forward.
  • Push up from the bed and stand up.
  • Do not reach for a walking device until your balance is secure.

There are some other tips Ive seen.. like a plastic garbage bag (on top of your bed) to make it easier for you to swivel into the position you're comfortable in?

Yes it's all normal.

But if you're in constant pain, then I'd call the doctor's office to tell them. You shouldn't be in constant pain. That means the medication isn't adequate or you're not icing enough.

And yes I had to grab a belt and pull my operated leg onto the bed. Absolutely, that leg is its own "log" right now, recovering from this stunning surgery. It'll start to move soon.

It's normal to feel tightness around the incision but again if you're in serious pain, I would urge you to call your doctor. They can make an adjustment to the meds. But the surgeon's office relies of the patient to speak up and tell them that their pain protocol isn't quite working.

You are taking the pain medication prescribed to you right? On the schedule the doctor gave?

Turns out I got behind on my pain meds. Like way behind. I took the pain meds and passed out for three hours and it feels like a new day. It’s a relief that “log leg” isn’t a phenomenon solely for me to experience.

Oh no! So sorry you endured that pain. Thankfully you realized you were behind on meds, caught up and enjoyed some restorative rest.

You‘re definitely not alone with the Log Leg. The great majority of us looked at that uncooperative leg and probably wished we could will it into submission, :heehee:

I did a little research on this topic awhile back and following is a helpful explanation -

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

Have a great Friday and weekend!
@user138

Log leg is an interesting phenomenon, I didn't have it with my left but my right was a total log. Scooting to get in and out of bed is the trick and it sounds like you've got it figured out.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? It’s been a long time since you’ve updated and we’d love to hear from you and share in the joy of your progress. Hope to hear from you soon and wish you all the best until then. :wave:
@user138

Hey everybody… forgot to check in. Just over 6 weeks in here. I was busy recovering, no sarcasm intended. Initial recovery went relatively well and after 9 days on the walker and an existential crisis, I transitioned to the cane for about 2 weeks. I’m bipedal again with no limp which is absolutely insane for me. The only rehab my surgeon has me doing is walking. Im able to go for 30-45 minute walks every day on top of a dramatic increase in how much I am able to do during a normal day. My entire body has been adjusting to the new found mobility of my new hip. 95% of all of the back pain I’ve been living with on my bad hip side is gone and I don’t walk like a duck anymore. I returned to desk duty and I’m pretty much doing busy work and playing catch up for the division I was assigned to. My surgeon expects me to be released to fully duty on 11/4, and now unlike before, I believe him. Im excited to return to work and exercise without pain. This whole experience has been life changing for me to say the least, though I still have about 5-6 weeks of recovery ahead of me, but I’m stronger every day (with no pitfalls as of yet) which makes me hopeful. The best part, is being able to play with my child, which I wasn’t able to do for long pre surgery. I’ve also been exploring job opportunists outside of the police world, not because I don’t think I’ll be able to do the job (which I did well with my old hip) but because I’ve come to the determination that the environment I work in makes me miserable and I think it may be time to move on.

Sounds really great @user138! Glad it's all going so well. Good luck with new career opportunities.

Great to read your update @user138.

So interested in hearing about your interest in possibly changing professions. I have had the experience of the new hip leading to changes I hadn't even thought about before surgery and which I didn't expect the surgery to create.

Maybe because with the pain before surgery, we have to spend a lot of mental energy ignoring the pain or enduring it. Anyway sounds like things are going well. Great to hear!!!

What a great update! Thanks for sharing. I’m happy to hear you’re doing so well.
I wish you luck as you explore career opportunities and thank you for serving and protecting. You’re appreciated!
A wonderful weekend to you. :)
@user138

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks