TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Your on the right track, I rolled into my recliner right out of bed. A 3:00 am I was usually up and icing.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Staples are out. So far? That's the most painful part of this whole procedure. My husband reminded me this is good--the nerves are working.

Ditto that, PB, those staples were a darn!

Right side by knee cap will be numb, don't worry, there is a nerve connection that runs under the knee cap like a smiley face they usually have to cut.

I'm switching from hydrocodone to Tylenol this weekend, I anticipate moments of discomfort while I get everything balanced out. And, of course, the incision is thrilled to have the staples out, so it's sending periodic zingers that say, "Look at meeeee!"

Polar.....are you far enough along to make that switch in meds or is someone telling you that you must. You know there are step down prescription pain meds like Tramadol that can be used if the Tylenol doesn't cut it. Please don't allow yourself to be in pain.

Thanks, @Jamie . I have plenty of Hydrocodone if necessary, but I'd like to begin driving again. So far (two days), Tylenol is covering it. If it doesn't, I'll reassess.

Wow great recovery. I was lucky and had glue. But crazy inside staples drove me mad. Seems your bruising looked like mine a bit. That was the scary part the color change.

Glad your pt came in a was supportive. They ask for awkward ways to measure here in Ky.

Awesome on you measurements.
I am a bit over 2 months from a partial knee and revision. And I am 114 and 5-3 ext. But yours is a total thumbs up..

Your doing so awesome. You will be living a pain free happy fun life soon. Xxxx

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

In anticipation of hail later today, my husband and I moved my truck indoors to our shop facility about a mile from the house. That's where my home gym is, so I stepped onto my recumbent bike and gave it a try. Absolutely no trouble making a couple revolutions with the pedals. I was thrilled.

Then we went to breakfast and did some very light grocery shopping. I'm resting and elevating now.

That is excellent, PB! I loved how the recumbent bike at PT helped my knee loosen up. My PT started me at three minutes (going backwards for some reason) with no resistance. Over a period of a couple of weeks we added minutes and got up to fifteen, it felt great.

By the time I went to PT on my own I was up to 20 min

Discharged from home health PT today with a ROM from 0 to 105. I'm comfortable with that. My OS really wanted the zero (of course, I did, too!), and he says the implant is only designed to 120, and he's not worried about me being able to reach that. PT walked me around the block today. I took the cane to use to get up and down the steps from the house (no railing), but I carried it for the walk.

Outpatient PT called yesterday afternoon, and my first session is set for Tuesday afternoon.

I'm feeling a little tightness in the knee today, but nothing that concerns me, and much less than I've had before. I practice extending and flexing it. I've been able to pull the heel against my chair leg and hold it there. I know the next step will be to get the heel inside the chair leg.

Husband wants to go to a swap meet in Conroe on Saturday, weather permitting (lots of rain in Central Texas these past few weeks). I'll bring the cryo-cuff full of ice water and my cane chair. As I recall, there's usually a picnic table somewhere on the swap meet grounds where I can sit and wait for him. If not that, there's the truck, which is comfy. I may take a little walk, too. I'll bring the crutches, which serve me well for longer distances.

You're doing very well. :yay::happydance:

With a ROM of 0/105, you won't need a lot of out patient PT. Do watch that they don't push you or hurt you.

Thanks, @Celle . That's my fear each time I've gotten a new PT. (one in hospital, three at home). So far, they have all been wonderful. Praying that trend continues with the outpatient. Prescription is for twice a week for eight weeks. I ought to be able to do a half marathon by the end of that! (Kidding!)

@PolarBear60
Don't worry about it. You're the boss. Just remember that it's your knee and you can say what happens to it. The ball is in your court, so if you don't like what is happening, just say "No."

Absolutely. I'm just hoping I keep encountering people with a complementary philosophy.

I heard a local nursing home offered outpatient PT, so I paid them a visit. Their "gym" was woefully inadequate, but just in case their philosophy was great, I asked the PT on duty about it. She kind of shrugged and said, "Rehabbing a knee is no fun and it's hard work."

I thanked them and left. I may have been wrong, but that statement came across as, "We're going to hurt you."

The place near my doctor's clinic 40 miles away is much better equipped, and I'm trusting my surgeon's judgement that this place will be good. So far, he's been superb.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I used a small local rehab in my town. It was run by a husband and wife PT team. They are very experienced and knowledgeable. It gave the place a personable and family type feel, video tour: http://www.gearyrehab.com/AboutUs/VirtualTour.aspx. Because they also had equipment in other areas and downstairs for a full up gym and exercise facility, there was no shortage of equipment. When I started rehab i had a lot of pain and limited ROM.
Ann was my primary PT and she was very kind and concerning. If something hurt she had me stop, she either eliminated it or found a less stressing alternative. She was also the first to recognize I needed help with general stamina to make any progress at all. I was allowed to come in on my own and use the exercise low impact equipment at no charge to help with stamina and mobility. Once I did that within two-three weeks I was doing much better, not sweating like crazy and much more able to keep up with my PT. This machine was one of my all time favorites to use:
awww.pushpedalpull.com_product_images_f_237_Nustept4r__56617_zoom.png

By changing the seat position forward or back you got either more flexing or more extension work or a medium position for just general motion aerobic work. This doesn't operate like a bicycle so you have no need to get all the way around.

I think you are doing well by trying places and asking questions. If you feel good about the people and they are experienced, while caring more about a good recovery than putting you through pain, you will do well.

That's a fascinating looking machine. The rehab place looks like a small place in a small strip store front. Not sure how many people work there or what the ownership is. Just caught a glimpse of some equipment from the reception area when i dropped off my paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

wow jean sounds like your doing great,,l can do nothing like what your doing,l am jealous,,take care l will keep following your progress,,

Thanks, Sabbath. I joke that my Dad gave me these knees, and I hoped he gave me the generally easy recovery he had for both of his. So far, so good.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics