TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Good stuff!! :yay:

It was. I was thinking of having my husband go out with me, then the PT asked. Serendipitous, I thought.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

hi @PolarBear60 we got the same knees:wow::yahoo: Congrats on the ROM - Impressive!! Keep the movement up - not too much and gentle. You will surprise yourself at how quickly you improve once you start moving round the house - cheers Maggie

My husband was mowing the lawn this afternoon. I picked up the hedge nippers from the shed, and trimmed spurious growth from our corner hedge. If I had a visible energy meter on my body, I would have been able to watch it plummet. LOL. I put the nippers away, came inside, and have been resting for the remainder of the afternoon. Still feel sapped. No pain, though.

I putter here and there, then I rest.

Funny how that works; I kept thinking " good lord, I just had knee surgery, not open heart surgery, why am I so dang tired!!"

It's still a lot of tissue to heal. I'm thankful I'm retired and don't have the worry of trying to go back to work by a certain time hanging over my head. Maybe that's the real reason surgeons encourage people to wait longer to have the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

If I had a visible energy meter on my body, I would have been able to watch it plummet. LOL.

Funny how that works; I kept thinking " good lord, I just had knee surgery, not open heart surgery, why am I so dang tired!!"
It is amazing that the knee feels so good but we get so tired.

Stamina is the last thing to return---and it will return, albeit somewhat slowly. I can commiserate with you both!

Those Stryker Triathlons are great implants---I got two of them---they will serve you well!

I'm thankful I'm retired and don't have the worry of trying to go back to work by a certain time hanging over my head.
When I returned to the classroom at eight week (much too early, but that is another story), I would come home from school and crash---I was exhausted at the end of the day.

@sabbath ! So glad to see you here. Sounds like you're doing great! My physical therapy folks are finding ways to make things just a little tougher, and that's a good think for building long term strength and reliability in the joint. They're doing it without causing pain, too.

From my appointment, things change in good and bad ways during this recovery.
This gig called recovery is very much like this---
ai1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa394_referee54_behemoth_roller_coaster_zpsnhkbhrok.jpg
It is a roller coaster ride of monstrous proportions. You will have ups, downs, good day, some average days, and some real sinkers where you seem to go down and down and down.

And it is not in your control---nothing you can do but ride it out---you are strapped into a ride and, in the end, you will reach the end and be fully recovered. The down days will get fewer and fewer in between, and the drops will not be so bad, but, in the mean time, you just ride it out.

You celebrate the little victories---the milestones---the first revolution on the stationary bike---but you just ride out the not-so-nice days and realize that, in the end, you will be fully recovered and will have reclaimed you pain-free lifestyle.

Ran into a guy who was a year out, says his knee is fine, he just can't fight his age. Doing a TKR while you can still enjoy the befits is a good combination.

Ran into a guy who was a year out, says his knee is fine, he just can't fight his age. Doing a TKR while you can still enjoy the befits is a good combination.

Exactly! One of many reasons I wanted it done now, while I haven't become immobilized from too much knee pain and malfunction.

I must be nearing a point where I'll be ready to climb the stairs for bed. I'm beginning to find my precious recliner confining at times. We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Bed is definitely awesome, and your comfy recliner becomes your propping and icing haven. Good luck on bed!

Have my first post-op visit tomorrow to get staples out and whatever else is usual. My PT has been massaging my leg and knee all week, and I've been seeing wonderful improvement. After today's visit, I'm getting better ROM than in my non-operative knee (it also needs a TKR).

This knee feels so good, and I'm so excited for how well it's doing. I have to keep reminding myself I still have a lot of recovery to do yet, and it just blows my mind.

I'm anticipating moving to an outpatient PT setting sometime next week (not sure how long it will take to set up). I'm still sleeping in the chair. My husband has offered to set up a cot in here, and I think that will be the best adjustment option, because I've heard of people switching back and forth from recliner to bed for a bit before being comfortable in the bed. The recliner has been great for napping (maybe too much?), but for portions of the night, it's beginning to feel confining and suffocating. I just turn on a light and read or walk around the house a little, and that seems to help. I remind myself to treat it like any other time of sleeplessness and keep on keeping on.

This knee feels so good, and I'm so excited for how well it's doing. I have to keep reminding myself I still have a lot of recovery to do yet, and it just blows my mind.
And that is what is all about---be patient, but you will feel even better when recovery is all done!

I'm still sleeping in the chair.
I know you feel a bit confined at night, try the bed, but don't hesitate to go back to the chair if you need to---use pillows and pillows and pillows in order to get that knee comfortable.

The recliner has been great for napping (maybe too much?
You cannot get too much rest and sleep at this stage of the game!

We're going to set up a cot this weekend. Then I can move back and forth easily until I'm spending the night in the cot. When I'm doing that regularly, I'll feel comfortable with the logistics of lugging night stuff back upstairs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back