BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Polar3 Implant, Smith-Nephew

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by yorkiegs1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

United States United States
    My surgeon is using the Polar3 implant by Smith-Nephew. I was informed that my surgeon has been using this implant for the past 2 to 3 years. Is anyone familiar with this implant? Or has a surgeon who uses it as well? Does anyone have this particular implant installed in their hip? Was told it could last 20 to 30 years depending on how one treats their new hip.
    Looking for feedback.
    Thank you,

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thank you for joining us.
    I've not heard of that implant but possibly someone that has will stop by and comment.
    Wondering if you have your surgery scheduled yet? If so, please leave the date below and which hip will be replaced.The information will be applied as your signature.
    Following are some articles you may find interesting. Stop by often, we'll be here. :wave:

Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries
    @yorkiegs1

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ariel

Ariel junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I believe that my unglued R Hip was made by Smith & Nephew and it has been in place since 2011. I have full mobility in the joint and it is still as good as when it was fitted according to an x-ray in January. I have not mollycoddled the joint, we hillwalk, climb and race motorcycles together.

• Like Like x 1
  4. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

Thank you Ariel!

5. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

Thank you Layla, I don’t have surgery date yet. I’m still thinking about it and want to do more research. Reason I joined this Forum. It’s my left hip. Osteoarthritis. Thanks for pointing me to these reference tools. I’ll certainly read up on them!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@yorkiegs1 Typically your surgeon will use the implant they have the most experience using given your own medical situation and lifestyle. Please don't worry about the details of the implant.
    Indeed - technology is on our side!

• Like Like x 2
  7. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I actually have no idea who made my implant. I chose a surgeon who I was very comfortable with and let him choose. He does around 500 hip and knee replacements a year so I figured he knew best and would choose the one that was right for me. I forget how he worded it but he pretty much said the implant would last me the rest of my life. I am in quite good health so I’m hoping that means a long time. If your hip really bothers you, you should find a surgeon you feel comfortable with and schedule your surgery so you can get your life back. I personally feel (and I’m not a medical person) that the longer you wait, the more problems the hip creates and the longer it takes to recover. I’ve developed that opinion after reading hundreds of posts here on the forum and from my own experience. I was definitely in pain prior to surgery but definitely not as bad as many on here who can barely get around. My only regret is that I didn’t do it even sooner.

Wishing you well as you try to decide what is best for you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

Granny C, Thank you!

9. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

I have a Smith & Nephew implant. We celebrate our ninth anniversary together later this month. It's served me well, but I think I'd probably say that whatever hip I had. They're all quite similar. There are no "better" or "best" hips.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

For those of you who have had a THR was there a difference in leg length in the OP side vs the non OP side and if so by how much?

11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I did have a leg length difference post LTHR of about a half inch. During my RTHR my surgeon corrected this.

Please note that nearly everyone feels as though there is a LLD just post THR. In most cases this feeling just fades away as everything balances again. Here's an article from our Library that might be of interest: Leg length differential - LLD

• Like Like x 1
  12. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

I do not have a leg length difference.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

13. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Funny ... I know my device has a ceramic head ... and a cross-linked polyethylene liner for the acetabular cup ... That's an extremely popular choice these days among top surgeons. I have no idea what company's device my surgeon used ... Looks like the Polar3 might be have an Oxinium head on a cross-linked polyethylene liner.

Oxinium, in my understanding, has a ceramic outer structure with metal inside ... I know it's a material that a lot of surgeons think is going to be really good. The 20 to 30 year survivorship estimate is merely a guess, but it's a very cautious guess. My surgeon and another top surgeon I consulted with ... were both pretty confident I'll take the device to the grave. Surgeons, in my experience, tend to under-promise on longevity.

• Like Like x 1
  14. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

Well after 2 months I finally made the decision to schedule my TLHR on June 12. I’m bone on bone and some days pain level is a 2 and other days its a 6 or 7 after strenuous activities. I’m 65 and in good health. Don’t use a walker but do limp when I’m hurting. It’s difficult to sit n get up out of my recliner and it hurts to get in and out of my Suby Outback. So it’s slowing me down and I figure it’s best now to nip in the butt while I’m healthy enough to bounce back after surgery. My surgeon is awesome. Trust her completely. After my surgery I’ll start a new thread post op report my progress. Wish me luck!!! Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:Glad to hear you are going to be ridding yourself of that horrid OA pain.
    Life is too short and too long to live in pain..
    That's how I felt.
    Almost 2 year mark from my hip replacements...still grateful and doing well!
    Roll on June!:happydance:

• Like Like x 1
  16. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

June 12 approaching quick. I’m preparing for surgery. My EKG was off at my pre op clearance exam in May 31 so tomorrow I’m going through a Stress test to make sure my heart is okay. If they find issues the surgery will be post phoned. Also my potassium was low at 3.2 n norm is 3.6 to 5.0 and in Jan 2019 it was 3.7. My GP told me to stop the water pill I take with my HBP med and tomorrow or Monday 10th will redo bloodwork. Why the potassium is lower than what it was in Jan IDK. Hopefully retesting results will be better. Regarding the EKG could my nerves throw that off?? I have been very anxious in the last month but I’m trying to keep busy and relax.

17. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

My PC has my on potassium pills along with my BP meds so that I stay at normal for my potassium as well as my BP. Hopefully your surgery will not be postponed and the stress test will be negative. Just think you will feel relieved once that is done so you have less to worry about especially at our age.

• Like Like x 1
  18. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

Thank you!

19. Barbaraj

Barbaraj supremo

Hoping that all those test results will be evaluated, issues dealt with and you'll still be on for your hip replacement on June 12. Bone on bone osteoarthritis never gets better on its own so getting a shiny new hip in there will make a huge difference. Sure, surgery isn't something any of us look forward to, or the slower recovery afterwards, but having been through it once last year (and facing it again in August) I know that it is very manageable. I was more freaked about the whole sedation/spinal than I was about the actual surgery! I recovered quickly and steadily, without much pain (and what I had was controlled with medication) and a month out I was feeling pretty darn great. I'd be moving along more quickly now except that the other hip is acting up and needs attention. You're going to do great, @yorkiegs1! Cheers, and good luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. LJH

LJH junior member