TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, can I related to what you are saying, Frosty. I'm not glad that you feel tired, but it is good to know it's just part of the process.

I also understand about slowly not being preoccupied with the new knee. I look forward to the day when I forget I had a knee replacement. I am slowly doing more and more "normal" things and I am just beginning to feel what life will be like without knee pain. I was a little discouraged tonight when someone asked me how I was doing after my surgery. I told them it has been a tough 3 months, but that I was finally beginning to feel good. She said, "Gee that's strange. My grandfather had both knees replaced and he didn't have a hard time at all." All I could say was, "Good for him", and in my mind I was thinking of all the Bonesmarties who have had a very normal and similar recovery to mine. Her comments made me feel like there was something wrong with how long my recovery has been, but thanks to Bonesmart I know her grandfather was the exception.

I need some information, reassurance, and feedback. I'm 5 months post RTKR and I still have pain when I bend my knee. It's pretty significant pain. When I finished with PT, about 5 weeks ago, I had a ROM of 128/-3, which I was happy with, but I really thought since I did well in PT that my pain level would continue to decrease. I seem to be stuck with my current level of pain. It still hurts, sometimes up to levels of 7 or 8 when I bend my knee past 100 degrees. My OS and PT say I'm doing just fine, normal, and on schedule. When will this start to decrease? Is anyone else feeling like this at about the 5 month stage? It's getting really old and demoralizing.

I almost logged on this morning, but it looks like you did my typing for me! I'm 5 months post-op, and although my pain level isn't as high as yours, I am having some difficult days. My surgeon said at six months I'll be to the point where I'll have forgotten about my knee. Well, I have 30 days . . .

I've resumed my regular activities (walking the dog, golfing, swimming laps, housework, shopping) but I find myself looking longingly at my Tramadol bottle. I feel like I shouldn't need that anymore, and I dose with either Ibuprofen or Tylenol and ice.

The knee is just stiff, and hurts along the outside as if my IT band needs stretching. I'm doing the stretch for that with no improvement.

So, yes, others at 5 months wish they were further along, too. And are discouraged. I just feel like I've hit a wall.

Not to thread jack, but maybe @Josephine has some words of wisdom for us both.

It does help to know I'm not alone. Thanks, GimpyGal.

Everyone says it takes at least a year to recover, but I really thought at 5 months I would have less pain. Like you, I have resumed my normal (pre-surgery) activities, but every time I bend my knee to get out of the car it hurts. Every time I do any excersice and deeply bend my knee it hurts. There are many things I do in my everyday life that cause me to deeply bend my knee and it hurts. Getting so tired of it. It may be that it is very, very slowly getting better, but it's hard to feel any difference on a day-to-day basis. OK, I'm through whining now :)

Yep. :( One more whine from me. I wonder if I'll be able to kneel again. My OP says some people can and others can not. I dusted my low things yesterday on my belly! (Hadn't been dusted since October!)

Okay, two whines . . . Are you still numb anywhere? I'm numb on the outside still. I suppose that's no big thing, but it's annoying!

We'll get there eventually. I'm planning a May vacation I thought I'd be in better shape for, walking wise. I'll adapt, bring a cane if it comes to that, and those Tramadol I'm hoarding, but that's only a month away.

We have a lot in common! The numbness on the outside of my knee has gone, but I am left with the "tight band" feeling along the lower front of my knee. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it's a weird sensation that I could live with if I have to.

I haven't tried kneeling yet. I think I'm a little afraid to, but I've been thinking about giving it a try. You made me laugh when you said you did your low dusting on your belly. It's funny how we have to do strange contortions to accommodate our condition. I've also been known to do things like that, and my husband tries not to laugh.

I'm going on vacation in May too. We are planning a trip to Chicago with two days of sightseeing. Like you I'm concerned about how my knee will handle all the walking. I guess we will both find out. Just like you when we made the plans a few months ago I thought that certainly at 6 months from surgery I would have less pain than I do now. We still have a few weeks until then so maybe there will be some progress. Yes, my pain meds will be making the trip with me, just in case.

I'm headed east, too! DC and NYC. Last time we walked miles and miles and miles every day. I'm rethinking some of the activities and considering buying extra Broadway tickets so I can sit!

Good morning Vhoudy and Gimpy girl! I am 4 months post op and suffering similarly to you two! Certainly not a day-to-day improvement, but maybe month by month?! It has been a very (unexpectedly) painful and arduous experience. I'm still waiting to feel glad I had it done! I too cannot kneel (have been told I shan't be able to - ever!), Dusting, what's that? I would like to be able to wash the bathroom floor on hands and knees, but apparently not, so the sponge mop has to suffice! One last thing? Are you still exercising? I did ask this question on another thread, but 'answer was there none' and I wondered if 'my sound' had been turned off (hhaha). But I do actually want to know as, when I don't attempt exercise (here I whisper ) the pain seems better! Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Good Morning, Judlepip! Thanks for joining the conversation. Yes, day to day, or week to week improvement is no longer noticeable to me. Until now, though, I could say I saw improvement month to month. This is the first time I've looked back a month and felt I was 'stuck.'

Your comment about feeling better with no exercise is true to me, too. But, I injured myself last APRIL!!! That's one year of sitting and turning to fluff. It feels wrong to not yet be trying to resume my normal activities. I know if it brings pain to back off, but at some point, it has to be wise (I would think) to get the rest of the body back to movement - for muscle strength, heart health, weight control and even emotional health.

I guess we still need to find the balance. Still elevate. Still ice. And occasionally vent here, where others understand.

Our internet service went down so using my cell phone. I went back to going to the gym three days a week. Riding recumbent bike, doing leg raises, upper body weights, and pilates. Doesn't seem to make.a difference in my knee pain, but does help strenghten my musceles and make it easier to walk and move around. This feeling of being stuck with this pain level is a little scary.

At last I have found people who feel like me. I am 4 months post op, doing well except the pain is always there, less than the previous months, but Tylenol, ice, Advil just can't reach the pain sometimes. My OS wants to see me today, I will let you know what hope we have or if I can at least have a tramadol for night time. When will we feel great!!! Another thing I have is a restless leg every night, meaning quivering muscles, anybody got that?
SBee

5 months, 85-95 degrees rom and loads of pain still. Bending it moving it is painful. Off to Orlando in 9 weeks for 3 weeks. Thought i would be well recovered for that. Im worse than i was pre op. Not great when your 42 and have 9 year old and a teen and husband!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

I am so sorry to hear there are some of us who are still struggling at about the 5 month mark. Especially chereb, who has her hands full with her children, and the knee pain. I think we should keep in touch so we can report how we're doing and support each other. I'm sure it will get better, we just have to keep our chins up and know that so many others have gone through this with very sucessful outcomes.

I also have the numbness on the outside. Twice i have seen my os who said the collateral ligaments a bit loose but 'hopes' it will tighten lol. These guys really have no idea. I have a few TKR buddies i met in hospital who are almost back to normal and it makes me feel a bit envious. Then i feel bad for feeling envious of my buddies. Dont think i have ever cried so much in my life. Its exhausting physically, emotionally and mentally. My husband is fab and tries his best but has no real idea of what this is like. Im glad at least to have found you all feeling roughly the same. Much love to you all x

Hi Chereb,
I have followed your story over the last few weeks and think you may have been in hospital,at the same time as me . Did you have your op on the Friday and managed to get up later that night?

It's been 5 months since my Tkr and I have good days and bad. No pain just stiffness. I will go days wo stiffness then it gets stiff again. To make things worst I feel 2 days ago. I don't think I feel on my new knee but I bruised on old knee. My new knee is so stiff...no swelling. I've been icing and ride bike 20 minutes today. I guess I'll be patient...if not better by Friday I may reach out to my doctor.

The healing process is so long! ... With it's ups and downs. I hope next year this time all of this will be just a vague memory

Hi Redlipstix, You are so right about it being a long recovery with ups and downs added in. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. That is something I have been very afraid of happening. I hope nothing was damaged, and I agree if it doesn't get better soon a trip to the doctor sounds like a good idea.

GimpyGal, I hope you are starting to notice an improvement since we last talked. I'm almost afraid to say this, but I think I may notice a little improvement in the pain level. I'm afraid if I actually admit there is an improvement it will jinx the forward progression. I am looking forward to our trip to Chicago at the end of May, but I am still apprehensive about how comfortable I will be with all the walking. Is your trip still on schedule?

Hi to all, I am 5 months post-op tomorrow, one day I feel great, happy and optimistic, the next I need the tramadol. The pain can be anywhere in my leg, knee, tibia, muscles, tendons, especially the MCL. I have good ROM, but very stiff most of the time. I am back to all my regular activities and golf 18 holes twice a week. Feel good but it's not over yet!! Wonder when.

Most nights I get a restless leg just on the operative leg, anyone else have this? This with pain drives me nuts, I'm constantly jiggling my leg, tapping my foot to relieve. Tramadol does help, but I am trying hard not to use it very often. I'm truly believing this recovery will be one year. Doctors say you shouldn't need prescription pain meds, but I say I can be much more active if I have some.
Good luck and patience for all.

Hello all. @chereb, @Spiritbee51, @vhoudy, @Redlipstix, @happy18 and @GimpyGal! (Did you all know that if you 'tag' people with the @ sign, they get a notification?). There I think I remembered everyone! It is really good to find so many at a very similar stage, having similar problems. Helps to know there are others out there! It's great to hear of fantastic results, but realistically there are others like us! I still have the stiffness, not so much actual pain day to day (but often at night), trying hard to walk without a limp! Someone on BoneSmart recommended walking heel to toe to prevent a limp and, having tried it it does help! My main recent success is managing to walk some miles again. This has been a major aim for me and this week I've done two walks of 5 miles or so without ill effects. That's a huge boost and I now think I may actually 'get there'! I've bowed to the inevitable and put aside all fashionable shoes! I bought some great new Clarks' walkers yesterday, (I posted a pic on another thread) as realised I need sturdier shoes and can't always wear trainers!
I think we should rename this thread 'The Nov/Dec ' 13 chat room' (!!!) as that seems to be when most of us had our ops. Can't really call it the 5 month thread as time goes by! Hope everyone has a pain-free day.

PS yes, @Spiritbee51, restless leg is a bummer for me too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All Four/Five Monthers - @chereb, @Judlepip, @Spiritbee51, @hoppy18, @Redlipstix, @GimpyGal

Yes it seems we are a club now. chereb, I am very impressed that you are walking so far! Good for you! I walk a little over a mile twice a week, and go to the gym three days a week and that's about all of my "formal" excersice.

Judlepip, I agree a change in the name of the thread seems like a good idea since that's what it has become. I don't know how to do that though. I'm seriously computer/forum challenged!

As I said earlier, I think I can feel a bit of an improvement in my pain level when I deeply (beyond 90) bend my knee. However, I am afraid to say that too loudly so I don't jinx my improvement. Improvements that I feel are sometimes met with a step backward in my pain level. It is such a slow recovery at this point, but I have to believe it is in fact happening. I have resumed my TKR life, but would like to be pain free. I know that time is coming since so many people have gotten there!

I have a question for you all. People on Bonesmart talk about a "stiff" knee and I'm not sure what that means. I have pain and soreness from using my knee, but I don't know what "stiff" means. Can anybody describe that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom