TKR POCTDB recovery thread

Yes, I did make the quilt. It’s one of many that I’ve made.

OS 2 week checkup today.
86/0 from PT yesterday but the swelling/stiffness is still epic from my viewpoint. Very little bruising-No pain and am on the cane. Cane is a bit too early but I was losing feeling in my right hand due to the walker and pre existing carpal tunnel syndrome.

Teasing my OS I said, “Did you forget to put the anti-swelling magic juice in this knee? The swelling is epic and I have not been warm for two weeks due to 200 lbs of applied ice.”

OS says “ Nope, not epic swelling because this was a 8 out of 10 knee on the awful scale. Normal swelling-about what I expected for what I had to do to accomplish the knee cap tracking needed. This knee was not valgus but varus so the knee cap wanted to shift. The left knee-the knee cap wanted to go where I desired it to go. That is my only explanation. No magic anti swelling juice. I don’t know what I did on the other knee, but it was the abnormal one.”
(His eyes crinkling behind his glasses)

I asked if he would give me a prescription for the Game Ready device. He said yes but after the device rids you of the swelling, two days later it will return. “Save your money and let time take its course. Time is all you need. Another patient I saw today was at about 7 weeks before his swelling started to subside. You are doing great, can walk and have ROM. You can start working from home when you decide on a date. Stop freezing yourself-4 times a day is enough for the ice.”

So....Continued home PT until I can drive the OP PT two weeks. Work from home probably after the first of the year. Target to return to “Jail” (work) is January 18, 2021.

Your surgeon had some great advice about time! I sure wish mine told me things like that. I had a partial and expected the quick recovery I read about when I researched partials. Quick did not happen for me and I felt I was way behind. It wasn’t until months after reading Bonesmart that I accepted I was not behind, but quite “normal” for my particular body healing from such a traumatic surgery.

My surgeon is one of the most outstanding doctors I’ve ever been associated with as a patient and one of the nicest people I know. He explains things, has a sense of humor and is genuine. His colleagues have dubbed him” surgeon with the heart of a pediatrician.”

I am very fortunate. I have sent him 15 people already. I have given him the BoneSmart info and asked him to sign up. I will remind him again.

Discharged from home PT with 98/0.
The celebration was a trip with some friends to view some drive through Christmas lights.

Wow there are people and cars out there....... I have only seen 6 people all month.
Good day.....

Got a new one for you.....

Got in the car, went to the grocery store and then headed to OP PT.
Got to the clinic and everything was dark....hmmm.
There was a power outage in that portion of the city, the CPS truck was across the street.
So we tried PT by flashlight. Measurements for extension by cell phone flashlight with no warm up since all of the equipment depends on power.
My extension was measured at 3. “Seriously?! I have had zero for weeks! The back of my knee is touching the table!” “Ok let’s measure again.” This time a one...maybe a zero. Grrrr.....
“Nope, we are going to skip this. This will frustrate me, no warmup, no real measurements-so let’s reschedule.” I stated.

So back in the car...and back to the house.

I've never had any faith in ROM measurements. It's manual and each measurement can be a few degrees off. The placement of the goniometer is never exactly the same each time. This throws off the measurement numbers. I always judged mine on what I could do...function over numbers.

Saw OS yesterday.
“You are right where I want you to be, you are still healing, X-rays look fabulous, see you in 3 months.”

Cleared through all channels to “Return to Jail” Monday. 8 weeks on Monday. Anyone want to join a pool for how many emails I have? Last time it was 578....guesses are welcome.

Stairs are fit over foot, ROM 111/-1. No drugs, occasional ice usually after increased activity.

My PT asked me to stop gripping the rails so tightly while practicing stairs.
I asked if he was afraid the stair rails would file assault charges for “attempted strangulation.”

You are coming along really well!
My PT asked me to stop gripping the rails so tightly while practicing stairs.
I asked if he was afraid the stair rails would file assault charges for “attempted strangulation.”
That’s funny! I realized early in my recovery that I had an extremely tight grip on my walker and I better let up on it before I hurt something else!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back