TKR POCTDB recovery thread

New Years Day Report from Dallas.
Steps...not as many as projected about 7K. Partially the fault of 85K people you had to walk around........

BUT...steps in the stadium...almost 80 up and down.
2 elevators for 85K people. Stadium was built in the 1920’s.
The steps were taken slow, down much harder than up.
Game was great, my brother’s company even better.
Very successful outing. “Bucket List” checked.

No, so far the pickle ball is in the evenings. I'm only there in the morning.

To all,

One year OS check up. All is well, no drugs, residual tightness occasionally, but for the most part I forget all about Mr. Knee.
Second one is scheduled for November 16.

I am back. For the moderators, date of surgery was November 16, 2020 on the right knee.
Wow.... things have changed in 18 months. I was out in less than 24 hours....
No measurement of bend/extension.
Also no cube ordered this time although I had to talk the OS out of it.:yes!:

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome back to the other side.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

On my initial knee, the OS ordered a extension assistance device called The Cube. Foam rubber , 18x24 with a space for your foot to hang for 20 minutes daily 3 sets.
Most on this site agreed it was a device for torturing a new knee

I am communing with the ice machine as we speak.

Ok, glad to hear you refused the torture device! I loved hanging out with my ice machine, and plan to spend hours with the three of us (Mr. Ice Machine, Sir Lounge Doctor and myself) in a few days.

One of the changes was some battery operated calf sleeves for pressure.
I was told that they were to-replace the TED house but no such luck....TED hose for two weeks..... sigh:sorry:

All owners of Lounge Doctor wedge:
I have read many reviews on this site as to how this item is just the greatest to assist in elevation. I ordered one. I am fighting swelling that is disseminated from ankle to hips.
OMG, it is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever used. (Other than the Cube)
Positioned as the model is on the picture with my heels off of the edge: Neither of my calves touch the foam, the foam roll for the knee bend is right at the end of the hamstring....am I doing something wrong?
I have called the company because I suspect the wrong size was shipped. Any suggestions?

I couldn‘t use the lounge doctor either, my leg didn’t like the angle at all, and my knee/leg has always been very sensitive to different angles.

The wedge I did use, and liked, came from my hospital, but I don’t know what brand it is, so I don’t know where to get it. (I’ve even called the hospital and asked about it and they wouldn’t give me any information on it.)

It looks like this, and does give my knee a very slight bend:

7EFBFFE3-E7DB-4394-98FE-2F5A2BF70BFC.jpeg

The LD will be going back. An expensive exercise in shipping....

I have called the company because I suspect the wrong size was shipped. Any suggestions?
The Lounge Doctor suits most people.

How did you get on when you called the company? Did they offer to send a different size?

It is critical with the Lounge Doctor that you have the correct size. Otherwise you can experience some of the problems that were described here. If you order one and find this to be a problem, the best thing you can do is to contact the company for assistance. The majority of people love this elevation tool. BoneSmart supports this product because of the science behind the design and the positive responses we've received from our members.

@Poctdb .... I would be interested to know how your conversation with the Lounge Doctor customer service representative went. It is our understanding that they will work with you to get the correct size when there is a problem.

I have checked all variables . The correct size was ordered based on the recommendation chart. The ordered item arrived in the box. I have left a voicemail but would be surprised if I hear anything until after Thanksgiving....More when I know.

I ordered an off-brand of the same design as the Lounge Doctor. It also had my bend in the wrong area. I had to end up cutting 4-5" off of the flat area. This helped but still wasn't ideal. I then read about the Lounge Doctor on here and ordered one from Amazon. I loved it. It works for some of us and doesn't for others. The correct dimensions are a must.

LD customer service returned my v-mail.
They sent me a return shipping label but the shipping cost will be taken out of the refund.
Expensive mistake.
No offer for a different size since what was ordered and shipped matched their charts for height.

I hope you find something that works for you, what did you use last time?

I did not have to elevate last time. The swelling was localized pretty much on the knee and surrounding soft tissue and the ice was enough. The few times that I did try it, I used a pillow stack. It was uncomfortable. I was not able to ice and elevate simultaneously.

As soon as I could lift the leg, I placed it on a wall for as long as possible(2-5 minutes) took a break and repeated. This was very successful.

I am getting close to being able to manage that again. The remaining swelling is hindering bend. (No surprise there...)

@Jockette did you make the quilt in the picture posted of the wedge?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom