TKR POCTDB recovery thread

@Poctdb you are a rockstar! Sounds like you’re quite a chip off the old block. (Sorry, best I could come up with on short notice)

. I have accused the PT “Wow, I was feeling so good and then you come here....run me through theses exercises and I have massive stiffness and swelling the next day. Why do I do this again?”
Why, indeed? It is counterproductive.

@Jockette
Since everyone is different in how they recover, how they progress and their experiences prior to TKR, the choice for PT, no PT or some happy medium between these two is a very personal choice.

I have actually noticed the biggest gains in functionality come the day after PT...even if I am dealing with the swelling etc.

My experience with PT has always been positive, regardless of the body part involved. A friend runs the 8 clinic PT network in which I will be a patient. For me, PT is not the enemy, nor are they omnipotent. It is a partnership.

Informed consent and patient surveys in my health system are very important. And make no mistake, I am a patient with knowledge....not only that which I have gleaned from bonesmart, but also the internal corporate workings of health care and the corporation in which I will be treated.

All of this works to my advantage especially since my mechanics and alignment have been so far off for so long. I can’t do it without an overseer, as I will have one chance to do this correctly.

Thank you.

my mechanics and alignment have been so far off for so long. I can’t do it without an overseer
This is my feeling too. While I am a bit anxious about them forcing the joint for flexion numbers for some paperwork, I know I need help to learn to walk correctly with each new knee. I really want to get it right and I have so many bad habits. I'm mostly looking forward to rehab. I just need to have the right person helping me.

@luvcats
Have a conversation with them about your thoughts and expectations. Make “you” someone PT knows by name....not by bad behavior or being demanding. Tell them of your plans to travel.....make them a partner who knows that your goal is progress without forcing for numbers or tons of swelling or forceful bending or...whatever you think is important. If you get someone that doesn’t feel right....ask for someone else.

Due to multiple visits to the PT clinic, and their boss being a friend of mine, I know the people who will be treating me. This is how I am confident that my wishes and thoughts will be considered and respected. I have asked to have assignments changed in the past. Let me know how it goes.
Deanna

Have a conversation with them about your thoughts and expectations. Make “you” someone PT knows by name....not by bad behavior or being demanding. Tell them of your plans to travel.....make them a partner who knows that your goal is progress without forcing for numbers or tons of swelling or forceful bending or...whatever you think is important. If you get someone that doesn’t feel right....ask for someone else.
This is all exceptional advice! Thank you for sharing. I'm the chatty sort (I'm sure you never guessed) so much of this gets shared randomly, but I will make it much more deliberate!

@luvcats
From one “chatty sort” to another.....you are welcome.

PS..... my mom says that when the Lord gave out traits, I skipped the line for “shy” because I thought he said “high” and I decided I didn’t like heights.....:loll:

Since everyone is different in how they recover, how they progress and their experiences prior to TKR, the choice for PT, no PT or some happy medium between these two is a very personal choice.

I have actually noticed the biggest gains in functionality come the day after PT...even if I am dealing with the swelling etc.
It's very true that the choice is yours.
Whether you choose to go to PT, to skip PT and do exercises on your own at home, or to just let your activities of daily living (ADLs) be your exercise, the decision is yours alone.

You are in charge of your exercise regime, not your PT therapist or your surgeon. They can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice.

Whoop whoop.....just returned from OS....
He is thrilled with me, says for as bad as my knee was (9 on a 10 scale) I am way ahead of what he expected.

He released me to work on August 19 and I can play pickleball anytime after the second week in September.

Next OS appointment is not until after I go back to work.

2X/week outpatient PT for a bit....I have not seen the orders.

So of course a joke....
What color is the wind? Blew......

Congratulations...seems we both had a good OS report card today!:yes!:

@mikb314159
Discharged from home PT today. I started at 60/10 and ended at 95/0. Outpatient PT starts Tuesday. I am disappointed at the first number, thrilled with the second. This is where the word “patience” should be inserted but I am soooo bad at application of that word to myself. I am making beds, doing dishes and walked a mile today....

OS is pleased with me. Saw him Tuesday. He gave me my “Go back to jail” paperwork ( otherwise known as return to work-August 19.):groan:I see him next 2 weeks after I go back to work.

OS told me I was way ahead of his other patients and that he was surprised. He thought my knee was a “9 out of 10” rank of awful when he opened it up. But....credit goes to him as he corrected it to normal. It is much easier to rehab”normal” as I have not had normal for 20 years. He wants me at 110/0 for total success. PT goals are 120/0. I can play pickleball after the second week of September.

OS was displeased with me since I had been driving for 10 days. Official ok is a month post surgery. (Monday) :bignono: Evidently, studies have been done that braking reactions are compromised regardless of the knee doing the braking for at least 4 weeks. Said insurance company would cancel me if I had an accident. I grinned and said I would double my following distances. I am just driving neighborhoods....no freeways.

Is your cellulitis clearing?

I want you to hang in there. Your road may be long but the end is out there....maybe just not visible yet.
I am going to keep checking on you until you can see the end of the road.....

Talk soon. Deanna

Hi @Poctdb ,
I've copied the above post from mikb314159 's thread and shortened your response to him there.
His thread should be mainly about his recovery and while you can reply to his question about how you're getting on, your reply should be brief, so that people concentrate on his recovery, not yours.

Updates about your own recovery need to be posted in your own recovery thread - and you hadn't posted here since Wednesday.

I've left a link in mikb's thread, so he'll be able to read your full post , here.

Sure, it's OK to reply to his question, but keep it short, so the main focus of the thread stays on his recovery, otherwise people could star talking about your recovery and, thus, derail his thread.

OS was displeased with me since I had been driving for 10 days. Official ok is a month post surgery.
This is interesting to me. Both my PT and my OS said "when you feel ready". I'm planning to drive myself to PT this week. It's all quiet back roads and only about 6 minutes from the house.

@luvcats
I told the OS that I needed to drive myself to PT and his response was “That is what your friends are for.”
My PT is close also. Monday is a month post OR and PT is on Tuesday.

You already have a ROM of 95/0, which is great for one month post-op. Most surgeons don't expect 90 degrees until 6 weeks, so you are ahead of the game so far.

Your ROM can continue to improve for at least a year post-op, so you have plenty of time. Let your knee take all the time it needs. It's doing really well.

Back from first outpatient PT and some errands ..wow it was great to leave the house!

The PT emphasized how far ahead I was at 95/0 and was thrilled with me walking a mile already. BUT then he started to assess other areas.
No hip strength and great imbalance in the strength that is there (those hip adductors have been in vacation for 20 years due to the crooked leg impacting both legs) very little balance one legged on either leg.
Not enough extension according to the PT to even try the bike...:censored: thoughts...I said “Seriously?” “Nope no bike till 115 flexion.” says the PT. :blackcloud:
O
So...back in the house....with my new bike....(evil laugh) we shall see.....I am going to start off backwards...and hate it if he is right.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom