TKR POCTDB recovery thread

When do you see your surgeon again?

I changed the dressing for two reasons.....
Curiosity and....
There is a place where the staining was that stabs me on a weight transfer. There was a discolored Steri-Strip in that area....so I thought that might be the issue.
Incision looks clean and Steri-Strip is hard but not pointy. My guess now is an internal suture.

Surgeon visit is July 16. One week ago today was the OR.

I was provided with extra dressings, but no instructions such as “change when stained.”
Or in other words, when ever you fancy!

Steri-strips can be very troublesome at times but there is no magic in them. If they are hanging on by a thread, just pull them off. In the UK we take them off routinely at around 10-14 days. I can't even leave them on that long as they make my skin blister.

Whoop...whoop! PT is very pleased with me..... I have relearned to walk.

Because my leg had not been straight for 20 years.....My stride was too short, my support base too narrow (feet not under shoulders), my ankles turned outward as my feet hit the ground and my weight was over the wrong portion of my foot....all fixed.
7 days after surgery and a shower today also......What a day!
Celebrating with dark chocolate and almonds....and a joke!
What are you doing for your kleptomania? Taking stuff......

About 10 days after I came home from the hospital, I opened the cabinet in my husband’s bathroom. He took everything from the hospital that wasn’t nailed down. Kleptomania? Maybe.....

@lopat
Certainly he is “taking something..”
That is hilarious..... thanks for the out and out guffaw.....tears to my eyes....
What kind of Sandals does a frog wear....open toad.

Wow.....just ordered groceries on line for delivery ...so easy....so spoiled

Online food ordering was my saving grace for the first 6 weeks with my shoulder replacement. It worked really well. Such a great service.

If anyone sees the “Sleep Fairy” please point them South to San Antonio, Texas.....thank you.

Wishing you some :sleep:

@Celle
Let me guess....that Sleep Fairy is “sleeping on the job....”
just my luck.

Grrr....not happy with Mr. Knee.

I worked so hard on the knee yesterday. Massage and ice and I had the knee so that it was regular temperature to touch by the time I went to sleep. Swelling was down far enough that the TED and all of the dressings were wrinkled. Whoop whoop!

So...what happened ? Best that I can figure is when the Sleep Fairy visited finally...her friend Inflammation Wizard accompanied her and while they partied...I slept. I just don’t get it. Leg was on the recliner....same as for the last 10 days.

So back to doing my best imitation of a popsicle.....

Did you do anything different yesterday? If not, maybe you twisted it or moved it wrong during the party the other two were having. Did it get better as the day went on?

@sistersinhim
Since Mr. Knee’s shortcomings have now remanded me to “house arrest”, my days are pretty much the same. PT is about the only visitor currently. I have cleared other non-neighbors to visit anytime after the 4th of July....

That is it....those two otherworldly visitors were probably DANCING on the Knee during the .....

First visitor.....and they came with food!

Other than that.....it is me and Mr. Knee. The PT measurements were not where I thought they should be but PT assures me I am right on schedule for the surgeon’s expectations. (From 10/60 to 6/72-goal is 5/90). I have 12 days before the surgeon visit.

After the first exercise, she looks at me and says, “You do not have a poker face. Stop thinking about the numbers...now!”

So to close....a joke
Before surgery, the anesthesiologist offered to knock me out with gas or a boat paddle....it was an ether/oar situation.

If they don’t want you to think about the numbers, then they shouldn’t measure you.
but PT assures me I am right on schedule for the surgeon’s expectations.
Your surgeon should not expect a number at a certain date, as we are all different.

You’re less than 2 weeks post op. It is way too early to not be happy with your ROM. It will improve when your swelling goes down and as you heal. And it will diminish when you overdo, (which you inevitably will) as overdoing will increase swelling. But all will be well in time. I am more than 2 years post op and my ROM is still improving. There is no window of opportunity.

I am tired of TED hose.....

Well an update.
In home PT just left. I am at 95/3.
No pain meds except for the occasional Tylenol if taken 1000mg/day
Swelling and and bruising is slight if any and knee is at a normal temperature. I continue to ice at least twice a day.
Sleeping through the night in the bed with bathroom breaks although not on my side as of yet.
See the OS Tuesday for what should be a dressing removal, Outpatient PT orders and the official “Approval to drive” stamp. ( I have been driving a week anyway.)

For @lopat And of course a joke.....
What did one potato chip say to the other? Let’s take a dip....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88