BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Please Help with any experience, strength or hope

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery pre-op area' started by ramone1961, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    I will try and keep this short.

July 12 2016 I went over the handle bars of my bicycle . Bone sticking up out of my right shoulder. They take xrays only and send me home saying it will heal within the year. 2 weeks later I do a follow up with a shoulder surgeon who says the same thing, it will heal in about a year.

A year goes by and it has only a little better, I think well maybe it needs more time. At 18 months I go to my GP and say this is not getting better. I'm sent back to the Doctor I saw 2 weeks after the accident. Took 5 months to get in to see him. He does some strength tests and says I'm very concerned about your shoulder. I'm thinking ya me too!

He orders an MRI, it's a 13 month wait for MRI, so I pay the $700.00 and get it done.
    I bring him back the results and they said I have a Type 1 Acromion also a full thickness complete tear through the supraspinatus tendon.

The Doctor says he can do surgery and there will be a 60% chance of success, he then says if the surgery was done the day it happened there would have been 90% chance of success.

I'm not very happy to say the least. Doc also said there would be nothing done about the bone sticking up, he would only repair tendon. He can get me in with in 6 to 8 months. So I look into private here in Calgary Canada, they say it will be $12-15 thousand dollars. Like I have that LOL.

So today I went to walk in clinic to get a referral to a high end sports Doctor. When I was there getting the referral, the Dr said I could go to Vancouver, Cambie Clinic or False Creek Clinic and maybe just have the bone fixed and that would be good, because I have 3 other tendons holding it together.

He said that would only cost 3 or 4 thousand. I am sooooooo confused at to what to do. Two and a half years now of not being able to brush my teeth with out putting the brush down for pain.

All I want is the best shoulder back that I can have. If that was the 12 to 15 thousand I would borrow the money. Just not sure what to do.

Thanks so much in advance for all your wisdom and experience
    Ramone

IMG_0378.jpeg

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ramone, do you have the xray of this injury? It looks dreadful and I think the

scapula.JPG

I think what's happened to your shoulder is that the whole scapula (shoulder blade) was forced round about 20-25 degrees so the superior angle (blue arrow) punched through the big muscle on the top and was caught there. It definitely should have been corrected with surgery at the time of the accident and it was negligent of the surgeons at that time not to see to it.

But has that poky-out bit always been that big? Ever since the accident?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2019
  3. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    Hi Josephine, thanks so much for your reply. Yes the bone sticking up like that has been like that since the day it happened. I am soooo not happy about all this, and always felt that they blew me off that day it happened.

Are you a nurse ? Do you know over in the UK - I think you're in the UK - that if someone came into an emergency room with my injury what kind of tests would be done ? Would there be more than an xray?

Thanks so much again for your reply, I was starting to wonder if anyone was seeing my post

Cheers
    Ramone

Oh yes I do have an xray. The images of the xray and MRI are on a disk. I cant seem to open it though, Maybe just the health care workers can open them
    Ramone

4. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    Ramone, I'm so sorry to hear of this horrible lack of compassion and treatment for your shoulder injury. I hope Josephine can give you some medical advice that will help you decide what to do next. Obviously, this is not a good situation for you. I'm in the USA so I don't have a lot of knowledge of the Canadian medical system. Do you have a means to pursue legal action against the original hospital for not treating you when they should have? In the meantime, I'd certainly meet with any doctors you can find to help. Here are a couple of surgeons I do have on file for Canada. Although they deal primarily with hip and knee replacements, perhaps you could call and inquire whether their office could recommend someone who specializes in shoulders.

Toronto, Canada

Revision surgeon for hips and knees:

Dr. Jeffrey Gollish
    Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre
    43 Wellesley St. E., Suite 315. Toronto, ON M4Y 1H1
    (416) 967-8730

Recommended by Randi who had a knee revision.

Ontario, Canada

Dr. Richard W. McCalden
    London Health Sciences Centre
    Western University, Ontario, Canada
    Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees

If you do find some surgeons to talk with, I'd be interested to get some feedback from you. We are always looking for good doctors to add to our recommendation list.

5. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    Hey thanks so much Jamie, I have looked into the legal part. So far two firms have turned me down but thought I had something. I would not be after money Jamie but someone to be held accountable for this BS.

Thanks for your advice on the Doctors, I am a 5 hour plane ride to TO.

I have been looking into more private clinics in Vancouver, its only a 1 hour flight.
    Thanks again Jamie
    God speed
    Ramone

6. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I’m so sorry that your condition has been so ignored. I have no advice but wanted to say hi and I certainly hope you find the help you need.

7. Josephine

Look in the bottom of my posts. It says so in there.
    An xray would usually be more than sufficient.
    You should have been given a letter/document with the pass code on it. If you weren't or have lost it, ring the hospital you got them from and ask for a copy. You must have a past code to open the cd-ROM!

8. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    Thanks Josephine, I see now, wow you have been in this feild for a long time.

They will not give me a pass code, they do not want me seeing this. That's just the way it is over here.

I guess I'm at a loss. I feel one of their big mistakes was to not MRI or ultrasound.

I do have a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon. I don't think that would show on an xray? Not sure.

Thanks much for your reply Josephine and all your experience.
    Ramone

9. Josephine

Then why did they give you the disc? That doesn't make sense to me.
    I don't need an xray to see that your suprespinatus is torn. I said it in my other post. The 'big muscle' I referred to was the supraspinatous!

ramone.jpg

10. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    Yes they give me the disk to take to different Doctors, the private Doctors cant see on line so they would need a disk
    Trust me many things dont make sense in this system
    Thanks for all your help
    Ramone

11. Josephine

Well to be honest, three years down the line it would be most unlikely anything could be done with that shoulder. The damage done to it - as I perceive it - will be far too old and fixed.

12. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    Wow not what i wanted to here. Just as i contemplate spending 12 to 15 thousand dollars.
    Thanks for your honesty though Josephine
    Cheers
    Ramone