Hello members, First time poster here, desperately seeking some advice. Has anyone been in a situation where you were told that your hip is too bad to qualify for a surgery? Long story short, my husband had a serious case of osteomyelitis in his right hip in early 2017. He was very sick, in hospital for 2 months and on antibiotics for 6 months. He got through that but the infection has severely damaged his right hip. We moved to Newfoundland, Canada and saw an OS here who told him yesterday that attempting to surgically fix the hip was "not in my husband's best interests" and that he didn't believe it would work. This was quite upsetting because when my husband first saw the OS last year he had indicated that he was open to doing the surgery but wanted to wait until a couple of pressure sores were healed first. Now he is saying it can't be done. In addition, when we told the OS about the pain my husband is experiencing he didn't offer him anything, just told him to take extra strength Tylenol and if that wasn't enough we should find a pain specialist. He told my husband he would just have to live with it. I told the OS I cannot accept that. My husband is a young man, 39, and he is already dealing with other health issues. He suffered a spinal cord injury several years ago and is in a wheelchair. But he just wants to live a normal life as much as possible, go back to work, do some of the things he was able to do before his hip got bad without living in constant pain. But I also have trouble accepting it because I have read a lot about hip surgeries over the past few months and I haven't come across cases where a hip is so bad that it is impossible to fix. It seems that surgeons just find ways to reconstruct the hip or use alternate methods of surgery beyond a standard THR. The OS said we were free to seek another opinion. But I'm not sure what to do. I feel like my husband's case is a complex one and maybe he needs a specific surgeon who has handled this type of case before. Here in St. John's there are other OS but we're a small province and I don't know if any of them have dealt with cases like my husband's, and I feel apprehensive that they will just agree with the other OS because he is generally well regarded here and doctors are kind of a fraternity so they might listen to him rather than us. I was thinking maybe my husband should seek an OS in Toronto or maybe even out of Canada like Boston or Johns Hopkins. But I don't know the Canadian health system that well and I'm not sure if we would be covered if we go out of province or out of country. We have private insurance but it's not great. Has anyone been in this situation? What would you do in this case?