THR Planned Left THR - 30M

minifab

Country
Canada Canada
Hey Everyone - the time has come for me to get my hip replaced. Feeling excited and eager to get it over with, with a little nervousness for the surgery itself. But I did find a surgeon I really like, so that's easing my mood a little.

Background:
  • Initially broke femur during a skiing accident in February 2017; had 1st surgery to place 3 screws in hip
  • Initially saw a little bit of AVN during my 1 year check up
  • 2nd surgery in February 2018 to remove screws + drill a bunch of little holes to try and stimulate growth
  • Relocated for work, so I found a new surgeon and had a consultation in Feb 2020. Agreed I needed surgery to replace the hip due to almost complete collapse and bone on bone
  • Planning for my thr in Sept / Oct of this year... initially wanted to get through golf season, but covid is delaying that!

Pain comes and goes, some days are better than others - but it's always there to an extent. Rarely (less than once a month) do I take any sort of pain meds; but I am at the point where it limits my activities because I know it'll act up if I use it too much. Really for the past 2 years I've just been trying to push off the surgery so I won't need as many revisions, but it's time to get my life back and stop thinking about it. No sense wasting the good years of my life, when I can get back to 99% of the activities I was doing before... just maybe not skiing.

Plan is for anterior approach surgery, as that's all this surgeon does. Have the surgery in the AM and discharge in the afternoon. He finds the patients recover and rest better at home, so no need to keep them in the hospital. Ceramic head with cross-linked polyethylene insert will be what I am getting

Will keep you all updated as the journey goes on!

Hello @minifab and welcome to the forum! So glad to have you here.. You have had a rugged time with that hip so far, haven't you?

The best news is that many of the hip prosthetics can last for many many years.. and won't it feel great to get your life back?

You are a younger candidate for sure, but here's a link to some amazing stories of long lasting hips..

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hips-that-have-lasted-32-40-41-and-45-years.13853/

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

So, hopefully some of this helps! There are some really super members on this forum and staff, topo. Please free free to ask questions here and maybe read through some of the recovery threads to get an idea of how things can go. I know it inspired me so much when I was waiting for surgery.​
Oh! If you can give the exact dates of your hip fracture and subsequent surgeries we will make a signature for you.. this makes it very helpful for anyone looking at your thread and wanting to offer support.​
Just post the info here and we will have one of the moderators get it set up for you.​

Last edited:
Minifab, I had anterior approach hip replacement last week and I stayed overnight.

I was alert, ate dinner, texted & talked on mobile, went to the bathroom by myself so I feel like I could have been discharged the same day. If course, things could have gone differently so I left it up to my surgeon.

My PT after surgery was getting out of bed and walking a few step down the hall. The virus put a damper on physical therapy. The 6 feet rule was hard to adhere to.

You will be so glad you decided to have the surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Getting one's life back is always a great reason for a hip replacement. Sounds like you have a plan and found a surgeon you like and trust. There is lots of information here and also so many people to share your recovery with and get support if needed. Keep us posted on your progress to surgery and after.

Hi I am in a similar boat as you are. I'm getting my hip replaced due to AVN although it sounds like yours was trauma induced whereas mine is idiopathic. I think I would've rather had the trauma to know for sure the cause of the AVN I got my diagnosis Feb 2020.

I agree with you that some days are better than others but the pain is always present. I try to avoid taking pain medication too. We are too young to be living with such pain!!!
I will be having anterior replacement, with ceramic on ceramic instead of ceramic/poly. My surgeon said she'll keep me overnight 1 night and then I'll be heading home.
Best of luck to you in your future

Thanks for the kind words everyone; glad to be a part of great group to for the support especially as I get closer to surgery and recovery.

@CricketHip initial fracture was Feb 20, Surgery Feb 21, 2017. Screws taken out March 6, 2018.

Glad to hear all the positive news on the anterior approach.

@KisstheskyBrace I'll be following your recovery, not too many of us young hippies - but I am sure they'll both go well, and we'll be better off for it.

Welcome to BoneSmart. We’re happy you joined us! You’ll love the support and encouragement you find here almost as much as you’ll love your shiny new hip. I look forward to following your journey. I hope you’re comfortable enough most days to enjoy the time between now and your surgery date. :)
@minifab

Hey, hope everyone is doing well!

Few questions that I've had.

1. Once fully recovered, 1+ year, how far can you walk? Any issue walking 10+ miles in one day, if you're traveling? I didn't run pre-injury and won't expect to after, but just curious on the amount of walking.
2. Is yoga safe after recovery?
3. Can I go to spin class / ride a bike? No extreme mountain biking, just getting around town.

Thanks!

Well I can't say that I can walk 10 miles but then I never could. I am sure it would be no problem if you are used to it. I have done vacations post hip replacement but never checked how much walking but quite a lot. I do not do yoga but I know many on here who have recovered went back to yoga but might need to modify a few moves. Riding a bike is wonderful after hip replacement since no pain. I use my exercise bike now for work outs at almost 7m and did after my first hip replacement. I will be getting my regular bike out once I get caught up on rescuing my garden from neglect due to bad joints.

Right now I am doing lots of lawn mowing, weeding, weed whacking some huge weeds and not just trimming (I live in the country) and helped my husband shovel some gravel. I have moved and dug dirt a bit (this one was a bit of a strain so did in small amounts) and walk all around the yard doing chores without an issue. It feels wonderful after the limitations.

Posted in another thread but:

I just got notified they've got a spot for me to have my LTHR on August 21st and now I am anxious and guessing if it's the right decision.

I am currently still active (golfing - take a cart, and walking in the evening) and not taking any pain medications. I do know I have a limp (from the AVN partial collapse), but it doesn't seem like it's "bad enough" to get a replacement.

I mean I still go out, go grocery shopping, used to go to the gym (pre-covid), and all my normal things. If I walk long distances 2+ km it starts to ache some, but once I get sitting back home it feels better and I can go out again. I do stairs many times a day no issue.

My anxiety comes from a similar spot as yours; I go get it replaced and end up in more or the same pain. Given it's not completely limiting my life today, I just don't know if it's time yet.

I do know this is the surgeon I want to do my surgery and it'll have to get done at some point - but it's tough to make that call when I am still able to do most things.

I do know I have a limp (from the AVN partial collapse), but it doesn't seem like it's "bad enough" to get a replacement.
I had a collapse due to AVN and I can tell you the longer you wait the longer the recovery. A collapse damages the surrounding area. And breaking the limping habit is hard. My recovery from LTHR took one year +.

Get that hip replaced and get on with living again. You won't regret it!

You said it is not completely limiting your life right now but it means that it is imposing limits with limping being one of them and those limits can increase overnight especially with existing AVN collapse. You have a date, a surgeon you want so it seems like everything is lining up for you to have the surgery and start your recovery.

Had my pre-op over the phone with a nurse + anesthesiologist yesterday; have to go in for blood work + covid test a couple of days before surgery. Good thing we had it, for some reason there was a mix up on the paperwork and they thought they were doing the right side, so good thing we got that sorted out.

Elected for nerve block + spinal, and a light sedation so I'll be lucid during the operation itself.

Still don't know the time of my surgery but hopefully I get that soon :chinstroke:

The pre op steps are progressing and now you have one more week. For me I never knew the time of my surgery till the afternoon before but I know others had their times a few days ahead. I figured that whatever time they said I would be there.

@minifab go for it! You could not pay me to stay awake during surgery! :bolt:

Someone in my first hip cohort went back to yoga at I think 5 months, with great care and a fabulous instructor. I learned that my (anterior) dislocate position is some yoga pose which involves a very deep lunge with lots of weight on the rear foot, and that leg rotated inwards. I am not flexible enough to enjoy yoga, but at 2.25 times your age I've taken up barre classes, which have elements of yoga. And I don't see why you shouldn't walk as far as you like! You might get sore if you walked 30 miles, but no harm would be done that I know of!

I had the spinal block and light sedation and it was fine. They say you are lucid, but you won't know you are or remember anything. You can tell them to dial up the sedation at any time if you need to. It's less risk and fewer side effects than general anesthesia.

I had had a colonoscopy with conscious sedation previously, and that didn't go as well. That team undersedated me. I was awake and aware during the procedure and I told them it was hurting and they ignored me. (After researching it, apparently people talk through their entire procedures regularly and don't remember a thing, which is why they ignored me.)

At any rate, I explained that to my surgeon, who assured me that wouldn't happen (he was shocked to hear of it) and I explained it again when I met the anesthesiologist. He was equally shocked and explained to me that they can adjust the sedation as needed. It went just as planned. I was apparently able to follow instructions but woke up relaxed and not remembering a thing. No nausea from anesthesia. Really good choice.

Good thing we had it, for some reason there was a mix up on the paperwork and they thought they were doing the right side,

:yikes: What?!!

Rest assured that won’t happen. I think they asked me five times “at minimum“ which hip, I was having replaced while I was in pre-op prep. My surgeon and I both initialed my op leg which I believe is a pretty common practice through reading here.

I'll be lucid during the operation itself.

Saws, hammers and drills...oh my! :yikes: You’re a brave one.
Only one week to go now. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
Have a nice weekend!:wave:

Happy Thursday @minifab
I hope you’re all ready for your big day tomorrow. You’re going to love the result of this fab surgery. Will look forward to following your recovery on the healing side. Please join us once you’re resting comfortably at home and as time allows.
Will see you soon! :wave:

Thanks @Layla

Had my pre-op tests yesterday: Bloodwork, Covid Swab, ECG... Haven't gotten a phone call yet, so hopefully that means I passed them all!

Found out they'll be using glue to close the incision instead of staples, so that's nice I don't need staples removed.

Talked with the surgeon again, he said I'll have 0 restrictions from day 1! And joked that I could book a golf tee time for Saturday if I wanted to... Figure I'll stick closer to the bonesmart recover ways

Last edited:
Best wishes for your surgery and a smooth recovery. Have a peaceful evening dreaming of all you will be able to do again post recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks