Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

PKR PKR Jan 2017 - is it failing?

IanKelly

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a bit worried that my PKR is beginning to fail. When walking up stairs, there is a very pronounced audible click from my left knee... no pain though.

However, on several occasions during the past few weeks, my knee has 'given way' when walking on very slight downward gradients and it when that happens, it really hurts. This doesn't happen when walking on level ground or walking up hill.

I've got an appointment with the doctor next week to discuss this, but I was just wondering if any forum members have experience with PKR failure and what their symptoms were. Do mine ring any bells?

Many thanks,

Ian

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi and Welcome!

Please tell us the exact date of your surgery so we can put it in a signature for you. Also, which partial did you have, lateral, Patellofemoral or medial?

Is this a new pain?

I’m glad you have an appointment next week to get it checked out, a new X-ray will probably be done.

Partials don’t always do well for long. My Patellofemoral will be 3 years in March, and it has never felt right, but my X-ray looks fine, so they won’t do anything to help me.

Let us know how your appointment goes.

OP
OP
IanKelly

IanKelly

Country
Hi and Welcome!

Please tell us the exact date of your surgery so we can put it in a signature for you. Also, which partial did you have, lateral, Patellofemoral or medial?

Is this a new pain?

I’m glad you have an appointment next week to get it checked out, a new X-ray will probably be done.

Partials don’t always do well for long. My Patellofemoral will be 3 years in March, and it has never felt right, but my X-ray looks fine, so they won’t do anything to help me.

Let us know how your appointment goes.
Hi,

and thank you for the warm welcome!

Surgery date was 30 Jan 2017. PKR, left knee. My memory is awful... I think it's a medial... looks like this...

Cheers!

IMG_20170427_152315.jpg
IMG_20170427_152243-01.jpeg

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thank you for that date, I’ve made a signature for you, and yes, that’s a medial. Mine is the patella area, my implant is only on my femur.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Do let us know what your surgeon says, won't you?

OP
OP
IanKelly

IanKelly

Country
I saw my Doctor earlier this week and an x-ray has been arranged for next week. I'll update this thread when I have more news.

marieltha

graduate
Country
Will also check back. I have 2 pkr’s (outside/laterals). Both implants feel and work fine. BUT after an inner/medial ligament sprain (after twisting), arthritis has accelerated in the inner side of the first knee pkr (April 2018), causing pain and a hesitation in my gait. FYI, my knee thread has recently included a discussion of pkr (yes you can do two in one knee) vs TKR IF & WHEN I feel the arthritis is unacceptable. Lots of pros & cons and sound arguments for both choices. Sigh.

OP
OP
IanKelly

IanKelly

Country
I rang my Dr this week to get the result of my x-ray. I was told that everything was normal and that no further action is required.

It certainly doesn't feel ok, so when the whole Covid-19 thing calms down, I'll progress this further.

Regards,

Ian

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Clicking knee is the norm for many of us, and there is no cause for concern if there is no pain. I have had an annoying click since day 2 after surgery and I'm now almost at 6 months, although I'm learning to ignore it certain movements aggravates it, hopefully one day of will disappear.
Whilst we are in confinement take the time to rest, Ice and elevate your knee. Stay safe xx

sistersinhim

Country
I'm going on 4 years and still have the clunking. Before the tkr I had the crunching, so there's really no problem, just trading one sound for another and the second one is the one without pain!

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
However, on several occasions during the past few weeks, my knee has 'given way' when walking on very slight downward gradients and it when that happens, it really hurts. This doesn't happen when walking on level ground or walking up hill.
It certainly doesn't feel ok, so when the whole Covid-19 thing calms down, I'll progress this further.
I think you are wise to continue to look into this. I hope you’ll eventually be able to see a different surgeon for a second opinion.

My partial has never felt right, but 3 different surgeons don’t see anything to fix, or to even investigate further. I am putting up with it. I hope you have better results.

Tykey

big-cheese
We spend an awful lot of time on here advising people to take care of their new knee and to let it heal.
In this case, due to the time since the procedure, the opposite might be appropriate, ie traditional physio, not the daft forcing bends etc, but just building up the musculature of the knee.
Are you being too kind to it? Do you go up and down stairs step over step?

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
isybrink
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom