PKR PKR and lateral release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Emzie! I can totally relate to how you're feeling. I had my TKR a bit before you, and though I have normal swelling issues ( a bit more with out patient PT), I am still using a walker and having confidence and balance issues. I have been working on improving my gait, but so far I still feel I need the extra support. It gets discouraging at times when people seem amazed I'm not walking unassisted, even though I'm trying.
I think you are doing the right thing in stepping back a bit and getting the swelling under control before giving up the crutches. Once the knee feels less stiff and more secure, you'll probably have more success moving forward. Good luck!

Linda

Thanks Linda, I am trying to keep positive now and doing my best not to feel guilty, Thought I would be back at work after 6 weeks and driving, neither of which I am able to do felt like I was letting everyone down and not progressing as I should, knees seem to have a life of their own. Sorry to hear you are struggling too, I wish you a speedy recovery and thanks for your support, we will both hopefully get a good end result. Take care

Emzie.....you might want to minimize the setting of goals for yourself and just deal with each day as it comes for a while. Your knee is in control of the recovery and it will heal on its own schedule. If you put a date or particular activity in your mind that you want to accomplish, you stand to set yourself up for disappointment if your knee has other ideas.

Your recovery is not "slow".....it's perfectly within the range of normal! Please be sure you aren't stressing yourself out needlessly!

Thanks Jamie, ventured out to a couple of shops with my friend today and was very tired after 2 shops so asked her to go to the cake shop for me to get my daughters birthday cake whilst I sat down on a bench, was pleased with myself because I realised I had done enough and took a break when usually I would have pushed myself to continue, jI have chilled out more about it and am taking things at a more leisurely pace.
Emma

:thumb: Good for you. Emma! I think she's got it! Yes, she's definitely got it!

TIME & PATIENCE-----that's what it takes and you've got it! Keep up the good work and keep on chillin'.

Keep us posted. We care.

THAT'S the right way to do it!!! Good for you!

How do I reduce putting so much weigh through my crutches? I know I am putting a lot of weigh through my arms which I am trying to reduce, today my left wrist and right shoulder are really painful, I don't want to end up with dodgy shoulders and wrist as well as rubbish knees, any tips? is it just a confidence thing? was feeling more up-beat yesterday and its made me feel down again, just want to walk even a short distance without putting so much stress on my upper body, feeling very fustrated that I still need the support of both crutches 6 weeks post op.

Hi Emzie !
I was very muh like you, a young fit person that had a PKR , I also thought i had everything going for me and could tackle this with a snap..HAHAH Boy was I wrong... I didn't have panic attacks but i did deal with some post -op depression. My physical therapist pushed me too much too soon and everyone here made me realize that i was doing ok and not to let her push me that way, the support here was a life saver for me ! i backed off physical therapy a bit and did more at home with stretching and heel slides and then went back. Initially she was worried about my lack of ROM and now at 6 1/2 weeks post op i have done a 10 mile bike ride and my ROM is at 115 !!! I still have bad days and I know i need to listen to my knee and rest and ice when it tells me. In short dont beat yourself up , make small goals that are realistically achievable and you will be moving in no time ! :thumb:

were your crutches measured to your height so the fit appropriately ?? Also, you may want to try to use one crutch use it on your good side and just use it for support dont lean into it

Hi all, Just thought I would post a quick update as I haven't been around for a whole, I had a very dark couple of weeks which ended up with me being put on medication to ease my anxiety and panic attacks, feeling a lot more positive now and the knee is improving day by day, can manage a 90 bend now which I never thought possible, really trying at the moment on the exercise bike to get the pedals going all the way round so I can build up my quads. Thanks all for all the support I really feel that things are improving at last for me.:yes 4:

Emzie, what a wonderful report. I am so glad that you were able to get the medication you needed to get you out of a dark place and back to the light.

Sounds like your knee is finally beginning to come around. Recovery is just truly molasses on a cold day slow for some of us; and that can be so frustrating. Just continue to be patient and work steadily but easily on your range of motion and it will improve.

Your post has just really perked me up too! Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom