THR Pink Peony Recovery Thread

As a retired x-ray tech I have taken and seen many x-rays with prosthesis and yet when I see mine I am still surprised to see the prosthesis as most of the time I do not think about them. Strange how our minds work and wonderful at the same time.

My next appointment? In five years!!!! Unless I have any problems.

Congratulations :yahoo:

What I didn't realize until my appointment is that per my doctor those first three weeks are most critical for the stem to stay placed where he placed it.

This ^^^^ is really useful. Thanks.

My Hip No. 1 had a little thread protruding from the top of the incision for a long time. Eventually it went away.

Ah jeez, Xrays, I have so much hardware now :yikes: ... I think it's cool, but I think in 50 years we'll think it's barbaric.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying a nice weekend in your neck of the woods. Finally having some days nice enough here to turn off the AC. :yes!:
Wishing you all things good and a wonderful week!
@Pink Peony

Two month update

Thank you Layla, appreciate you checking in, and sending healing thoughts to all on the recovery side.

I "graduated" from PT this week, although I scheduled a check-up in mid-September. I really liked my PT, especially the massages that really helped with my swelling. Swelling is significantly reduced, but still not gone. Previously I would feel some light pain towards the bottom of my incision (believe from the swelling), but I haven't felt that for maybe two weeks.

Speaking of incision, the very bottom has been the slowest to heal. It was shared with me that this is due to the fact that it "knitting" together both the sides and bottom, and thus taking longer. I have what seems two areas where I am spitting a stitch, so slightly more red in those areas. Last weekend, I was invited out to a lake to a swim, but one of my friends encouraged me not to, as she said it wasn't worth risking an infection. I had received clearance at 6 weeks post-op for a bath, but I think I read someplace that lake swimming should wait longer. In any case, I decided not to risk it.

I am comfortably walking (and at a good pace) 3 to 4 miles a day. I am waiting another month to go back to the gym (and swimming), as I am trying to squeeze the last bit of summer walks with what remains of our longer days. I am now permanent WFH, and will have to navigate the time to drive to the gym (as much as I love it). Funny how once a new routine is set (e.g. staying home), all of a sudden finding time to drive to gym and working out is hard to figure out. :bored: However, I seem to need the discipline of a scheduled workout with weights, etc. in order to get back on my fitness journey (really missing the free weights).

The real joy and I have spoken of this before, is that 50% of the time, I have completely forgotten I had the surgery. While I am still on restriction for one more month (e.g. no leg back and turned out), going about gardening, home chores, etc. I feel as good as I did before my hip starting going down hill. I must admit my overall mood is elevated as a result. I didn't realize how sad I had become due to pain and losing my mobility. It is only when I see my incision, or weakness when doing a squat, that I am reminded that I am still recovering.

Final update, I also had an appointment with a surgeon recommended by my ortho for my bunions. I have also been putting that surgery off for many years, but now want to get them fixed, so that I have the best chance of keeping my lower half in working order. I checked out the other section of this website to see if bunion experiences, but it doesn't appear to have much activity. Not sure if I start a section in other joints, or if anyone has other recommendations on good support sites like this one? This forum was invaluable when I was scared and didn't want to get a hip replacement.

Awesome update, keep up the good work! I think you made a good call on skipping the lake, just don't think I'd chance it either. You know you're doing good when you kind of forget you've had a replacement!

I think you made a good call on skipping the lake, just don't think I'd chance it either.

Thank you Elf1 - I am glad my friend did suggest that I re-think. The last thing I want is to get an infection.

One thing that is nice about all this hardware is that the next time you fly a plane, you'll go through the special scanner with no line!

:bored:Hi @Pink Peony
Glad your op leg continues to improve and sounds like you are getting stronger.
I love to swim but also waited for as long as possible as to make sure that wound was totally healed. I believe it was 3 months.
I checked out the other section of this website to see if bunion experiences, but it doesn't appear to have much activity. Not sure if I start a section in other joints, or if anyone has other recommendations on good support sites like this one? This forum was invaluable when I was scared and didn't want to get a hip replacement
Some forums definitely have more participants but you can certainly start a thread in the other joints forum...some recovered members might weigh in and it may draw some lurkers in....
One member's thread I remember that has some good info on it is https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hallus-rigidus-bunion-complicated-not-cosmetic.54953/
Not sure if this applicable to your problem or not...

Hope today is a good day.

One thing that is nice about all this hardware is that the next time you fly a plane, you'll go through the special scanner with no line!

@kayak59 - I don't know about this special scanner? Somewhere I read (maybe my doctor's packet) that they no longer give out cards saying I had a hip replacement. That TSA doesn't ask anymore.

However, if I am always going to get "dinged" going through the metal one, does everyone volunteer for the scan one? I always wonder about more radiation.

Thank you @Mojo333 - I will start a new thread on bunion surgery, as I know I am very interested in reading about other people's recovery. I am getting the surgery with an orthopedic surgeon. It isn't scheduled yet.

Appreciate your feedback on swimming (even in a pool). I will be at least 3 months post op before I start lap swimming again.

Wonderful report. I, too, have postponed doing anything about my bunion. A big reason is that when I finished my recovery from first hip and house renovation when I thought I would start checking on bunions my other hip went wonky and needed surgery. I will be interested to read what how you do with your bunion surgery.

Hi Pink! Sounds like you are doing great. :SUNsmile: :walking:

One of my trainers at my long time gym had a bunion surgery where they removed a pie shaped section from the bone at the base of their big toe. They're younger than us ... seemed to recover very well. Just one success story; I haven't communicated with them in 5 years or so. Best of luck.

I think it's wise for you to wait to swim until after you are certain that your incision is completely closed. Given how well everything has gone -- infection is the thing i worry about personally. I think that a chlorine pool is safer than a lake ... sure hope so.

When I have flown since my first hip surgery, I tell the TSA folks at the screening point either that I have a hip replacement, or the more general "I have metal in my body". I go through the imaging thing (don't care). Sometimes they wand me somewhere, and sometimes that is nowhere near my hip. Seems like it's most often where I think the screw is located, in my acetabulum.

Pain's a real thing, isn't it? So glad yours is gone.

Appreciate your feedback on swimming (even in a pool). I will be at least 3 months post op before I start lap swimming again.

I‘m happy to hear you‘ve decided to wait on that swim. My OS also advised no baths, hot tubs, lakes, pools etc for three months post op. It seems long, but if he advised less and I read here another advised longer, I feel I’d heed the warning and go with the lengthier restriction wondering if their OS know something mine didn’t? :shrug: Reading what the poor souls endure here suffering through infections, it’s just not worth taking the chance in my estimation. I’d much rather be safe than sorry. You’re making a wise choice.
Have a wonderful week!
@Pink Peony

@leejaa - I will keep a diary of my bunion surgery, as it has been difficult to find "what to expect", etc. Sadly, my understanding is that it is a more challenging recovery, as totally non-weight bearing for at least two weeks. :hairpulling: I do feel like if I get both feet fixed, hopefully I can make my other joints work a bit longer.

@cstinchcomb and @Layla - I have already take a few fully submerged baths, as soon as I got the green light at 6 weeks. I must admit, I kept thinking to myself this seems early, but I really missed them. Reading what you both have written, I can wait three more weeks before I indulge in another bath. I am also hoping to start swimming around October 1st.

All the comments about getting back in the water is interesting. On all my surgeries, the only criteria was that my incisions be fully healed to get back in the pool. I didn't sit in the hot tub for long right away but I was able to do my physical therapy and just walk in the pool sooner and more often than I could on land. I think it really sped up my recovery. I will not share my experiences any more however, without adding that the person should check with their doctor.

On all my surgeries, the only criteria was that my incisions be fully healed to get back in the pool.

This is true for me, too. I've been swimming 3-4 times per week since (coincidentally) exactly two months out. My dr. cleared me when I saw him at about 7 weeks out; he suggested that I pull more than kick to start, and asked if I had my own pull buoy to be safe (I do, and I think he is also a swimmer). So depending on how you feel about your incision ... well, that's my experience and my surgeon's advice anyway. But -- no need to rush.

Now that I think about it ... if the skin is healed up, then the lake and the pool should be the same, right?

Reading what the poor souls endure here suffering through infections, it’s just not worth taking the chance in my estimation. I’d much rather be safe than sorry.

@Layla has a point ... I can't turn back the clock for myself but ???

Now that I think about it ... if the skin is healed up, then the lake and the pool should be the same, right?

Although I wouldn't go in either until the incision was fully healed a chlorinated pool has much less bacteria than most lakes.

Three month update (13 weeks)

I no longer have any restrictions and am thankful for a continued good recovery.

Started back in the gym two weeks ago, after spending many weeks walking. The cardio (treadmill and bikes) where easy, other than the need for more cardio strength. Free weight lifting is showing me the weak areas, especially while doing squats. However, quickly building back strength and flexibility. Have also had a few swimming sessions, and those felt great. Almost no lack of strength in my hip/leg, and was even able to do the breast stroke "kick" with my legs.

I still have some swelling remaining around my incision, which is still red (e.g. in the process of fading). It looks so much better than when the bandages were first removed.

The other day I realized that I rarely think about jumping in my car (which was getting difficult to get in), stepping into clothes, and how quickly the memory has faded that I even had surgery. It truly has been a life changer, and I feel like I have been given a second chance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom