THR Pink Peony Recovery Thread

Layla - they did get back to me, both via phone and a message on their app portal. Thankfully, it continues to look a bit better each day.

Day 15

Returned to work today, as I am able to WFH. The biggest challenge is sitting in my office chair isn't comfortable (without the elevation). So I moved back to my recliner with my laptop, and my icing machine. Much more comfortable. A friend of mine who has had both hips completed, had mentioned to me that he worked from a "high" chair. I wonder if that is a more comfortable option, or if it the elevation that I need? I tried putting my leg on a short stool, but that wasn't very comfortable either.

And my trekking poles arrived today!! Can't way to give them a try on my walk.

You are so early in your recovery that sitting is just difficult and the recliner makes life better with elevation and of course your ice. Working from a high chair is great for not breaking the 90 degree restriction if you have one and easier to sit down but does not take away the discomfort of sitting with your legs down. I have high chairs in my kitchen but it was not comfortable for quite a while ( about 6-8wks if I remember correctly) after surgery. It was easier to sit down but I could not stay there for any length of time.

Thank you leejaa for your feedback on "high" chair and my expectations regarding sitting at a desk. I needed to get back to work, even though my job would be "protected" while I am out, there are many changes underway, and I am trying to contribute.

Thankfully I can work in my little nest of recliner, with my cold rush machine and laptop. Almost all calls are not video calls (thank goodness).

have high chairs in my kitchen but it was not comfortable for quite a while ( about 6-8wks if I remember correctly) after surgery. It was easier to sit down but I could not stay there for any length of time.

Same! Mine are counter height at kitchen island and NOT comfortable. Didn’t want my leg dangling and if felt uncomfortable to put my foot on a portion of the frame. Recliner and sturdy dining chair were my go to’s. I could only tolerate a dining chair for a short time early on though. It’s great you’re able to work from your recliner. Not a bad place for you to spend some decent time at only 16 days post op. Wishing you a comfy night! :sleeep:

Wow. Back to work. Even if I’d been able to WFH, I don’t think I could have coherently strung two thoughts together at 15 days. Lol. I’m glad your recovery is going so well. Please try not to overdo it and make sure you get the needed rest to keep you cruising along. :)

I've worked from home almost entirely since 1990. At 7 weeks out, I have mostly got my brain back, but at 16 days ugh. I talked to a few customers at 2 weeks out, but they were people that I know pretty well; I told them about the surgery and the drugs. I hope your WFH goes as well as possible. Gotta do what you gotta do, understood.

On the chairs ... I'd suggest that if you need an alternative to the recliner, try every chair in the house, maybe with a pillow on the seat (comfort, not really height). I am most comfortable (and have been for this recovery) with my feet on the floor. My desk chair was really not comfortable for my first hip until about 7 weeks out. This time, I switched desk chairs with hubby; his is way better for me (it's an Aeron, mine's a cushy Bodybilt, we also have some very old Steelcase, but their cushioning is next to nil after 30 years). I of course had to change the setup; he's a foot taller than me.

When I sit on our outdoor furniture, I put a pillow or a folded up yoga mat on the seat.

Sitting straight up in bed, with legs in front and laptop, worked for me, too. That woulda given me a decent neutral video background if I needed it. Another hippie friend repurposed her walker as a bed-desk.

Day 18

My first appointment with my PT at her office. It went very well, especially when she watched me walk, she said I wasn't limping. That was the best news! However, due to my internal self talk, I am still doubting her opinion. Mostly, because I didn't feel like I was limping before until I was at an event last summer. The long hallway mirrors were everywhere, and there was no denying seeing my limp first hand. Plus everyone whom I hadn't seen in over a year, kept asking me what was wrong (never a good sign).

Per the doctor's instructions (for everyone), I am to use a gait assisted device until at least Monday. It is almost getting in the way at this point, but I will use it the next few days.

Meds: I am just on blood thinner (aspirin - 2X day), and haven't needed to take Tylenol the last two days. Essentially, I am off everything, except the blood thinner which is required for 35 days.

I am feeling so much stronger today, and getting more range of motion back.

My biggest issue is the swelling, and the PT person did a lymph massage which felt soooo good. I wish that part could have lasted a little longer. :) I have done it a few times on myself, and need to perform more regularly. I did ask the PT lady what she thought of my swelling, and she didn't think it looked noticeable in my workout clothes, but when she massaging she was making comments about it.

I am hoping by Monday I can find that most comfortable chair (which is either a dining chair or my office chair) so that I don't have to work from my recliner. Thank you cstinchcomb for your chair feedback.

Thank you all for your positive feedback and for sharing your journeys. I really can't imagine going through this without this lifeline!

Last edited:
You’re doing great! I hope by Monday you find a chair that’s “just right” Goldilocks :wink:

I am to use a gait assisted device until at least Monday. It is almost getting in the way at this point
This makes me laugh. My 81 yr old mother said the same when we caught her walking around unassisted at a little over a week post op from her second THR. Yep...”I don’t like it, it gets in my way!” Spunky old broad that she is. :heehee:

Have a wonderful weekend!

I hope by Monday you find a chair that’s “just right” Goldilocks :wink:

Haha...I needed that chuckle, thank you! The PT mentioned setting alarms for every 50 minutes to make sure I am getting up. Between calls and getting caught up on everything while out, I am losing track of time, and sitting too long without moving (which isn't good even without recovery).

I bet your mother and I would get along very well. :)

My biggest issue is the swelling, and the PT person did a lymph massage which felt soooo good. I wish that part could have lasted a little longer. :) I have done it a few times on myself, and need to perform more regularly.

Please do continue doing what you can at home for the swelling! It will help and hopefully you can get the Lymphatic Drainage while at your PT office each time you go.

Re: swelling -- the deep breathing exercises seemed to help. Most effective for me was Legs Up Wall.
Wow, massage ... that sounds awesome.

Re: sitting -- the alarm is a really good idea, I coulda used that. You might also try sitting on an ice pack:ice:while you are at your desk. I didn't have "real pain" but just a touch of that "golf ball" sensation sometimes, which the ice alleviated.
Great news that you are off the heavy drugs. All the best :flwrysmile: for continued healing.

Wonderful progress report. Now comes the hard part of not overdoing it as we get excited about how great we feel. Continue listening to your body and your hip. Good luck with the office chair.

Sounds good all around! I hope you find that Goldilocks chair! I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna fancy version, and the driver's seat is heavenly. Fits me just right. My middle row seats are removable-- you want one? :snork:

2005 Toyota Sienna fancy version

Another thing we have in common, I have a 2008 vehicle, and since I am rarely driving these days, not in a hurry to replace.

Thanks for the offer of a chair. I am going to try my dining chair and my office chair again tomorrow. If they fail, I know my fallback is my recliner. I am hopeful that my swelling is a bit less than last week, and it might be a little more comfortable.

I had a wonderful neighbor who mowed my lawn this week (at least it is small), but I must admit I am itching to mow it next weekend.

I hope one of the chairs works for you. It might not be for the whole day but as you said you have the fall back position of the recliner. Even in the chair, try to ice as it will help and don't forget to get up and move a bit.

Day 26

Thank you cstinchcom, I am closely following your journey to see what is ahead for me. :happydance:

I finally graduated to my regular home office chair on Thursday and Friday. It went okay, with the exception that I wasn't getting up enough (too many back to back meeting marathons). and could feel the swelling. Also had 2 PT this week, and those sessions are going well. My favorite part is that they work on the swelling. My PT on Friday said that my swelling was good for the stage I am in, but did say that doing the light massages is important, so that the tissue doesn't get "sticky".

Everything is going so well, that I am almost holding my breath. While I do my walks with the trekking poles (great suggestion), I really don't need any assistance. I am using them more for awareness of focusing on my gait. Within the last few days, I get up from a seated position and just start walking and then remember, oh yeah, I should probably pay attention to my walking. I momentarily forget I had a hip problem. I am still icing, and that feels great, especially in the summer.

I am watching my incision closely, as part of the scab is starting to come off (yeah). It is looking better, and I can't wait until I can take a bath again. With most of the surgical glue remaining and swelling, it is still looking pretty gruesome. Where the scab fell off, it looked so much better.

Last edited:
Good Morning and Happy One Month Anniversary, PP!
Love your latest update, you’re doing so well! May it only be smooth sailing from here on out. Wishing you a lovely Wednesday and rest of the week! :)
@Pink Peony

Hi. Just catching up after being “off the grid” in spotty phone coverage while camping. What a wonderful update. So happy for you. The description of the glue on the incision made me smile. I remember apologizing to the OS and his nurse for “flaking” all over their floor as they checked the incision in my post op visit. They seemed very non-kerfuffled about it. Lol. Blessings for continued good healing. ❤️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom